Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix Sport Wagon
Hello fellow BMW owners; any winterizing suggestions?

I recently bought my second BMW: a 2007 328ix Sport Wagon that seems to have been very well-cared for. My first BMW was a 1978 R100 motorcycle that used in college in the early 1980s. In the early 1970s I was a BMW mechanic at Autohaus Continental in New Jersey. I've since moved on from that profession, but I've retained some of my wrenching skills.

I live on a relatively steep, unmaintained dirt road in the Rockies, so the x-drive will come in handy when it starts snowing. When winter finally arrives, I plan to park the car and cover it for the winter with an outdoor factory cover. Apart from oil change, etc. any suggestions on winterizing?
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Ridge View Post
I recently bought my second BMW: a 2007 328ix Sport Wagon that seems to have been very well-cared for. My first BMW was a 1978 R100 motorcycle that used in college in the early 1980s. In the early 1970s I was a BMW mechanic at Autohaus Continental in New Jersey. I've since moved on from that profession, but I've retained some of my wrenching skills.

I live on a relatively steep, unmaintained dirt road in the Rockies, so the x-drive will come in handy when it starts snowing. When winter finally arrives, I plan to park the car and cover it for the winter with an outdoor factory cover. Apart from oil change, etc. any suggestions on winterizing?
Disconnect the battery!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
David W

Mein Auto: 2007 335I E93 & E92
Better yet get a battery tender, it holds the voltage just like the alternator does. Plug the car in and it will be ready to go when you want it. Clean it fill the gas tank, change the oil and pump up the tires and you are done. I have 2 cars stored in my garage every winter and that is what i do.
David
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Definitely use a battery tender.

Also Stabil fuel stabilizer added on your final fill up.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williamso View Post
Better yet get a battery tender, it holds the voltage just like the alternator does. Plug the car in and it will be ready to go when you want it. Clean it fill the gas tank, change the oil and pump up the tires and you are done. I have 2 cars stored in my garage every winter and that is what i do.
David

Easier than tearing into the trunk, but is it better?

A resounding NO!

Why, just imagine the strain on our nation's electrical grid with every winterized car marinating on a battery tender.

David Williamso, it is your patriotic duty to go the extra mile, to make the effort above and beyond what is easy and convenient, to disconnect those batteries!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I say plug it in, Nothing like a good old rolling brown out to get our country to see that wind mills and solar power just want supple our electric needs!

Hondo
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Clean well inside and out, wax, dress tires and seals around doors etc. Change oil, check all other fluids and antifreeze protection. Fill tires to max. Fill tank with fresh tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. Pull fuse/relay for fuel pump and run until it dies. Put desiccant bags inside. Stuff steel wool into tailpipes and air intake (if possible). Pull battery and take it inside charging monthly or on a tender (there are benefits to leaving it in and doing this but it is outside after all). Check with your agent about maintenence insurance. Cover and done!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
Clean well inside and out, wax, dress tires and seals around doors etc. Change oil, check all other fluids and antifreeze protection. Fill tires to max. Fill tank with fresh tank of gas and fuel stabilizer. Pull fuse/relay for fuel pump and run until it dies. Put desiccant bags inside. Stuff steel wool into tailpipes and air intake (if possible). Pull battery and take it inside charging monthly or on a tender (there are benefits to leaving it in and doing this but it is outside after all). Check with your agent about maintenence insurance. Cover and done!

>AHEM<

Climate control. Temperature and humidity play a vital role re: corrosion and organic material longevity.

Let's not discount the advantages of a hermetically sealed, controlled environment!

What is does for wine, it does for fine machinery. Your vehicle can outlive you - I recommend you reflect that in your will or trust.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Ridge View Post

We've all seen enough threads about those pesky rodents that like warmer garages...and chew on automotive wiring. Put out your mouse traps!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

>AHEM<

Climate control. Temperature and humidity play a vital role re: corrosion and organic material longevity.

Let's not discount the advantages of a hermetically sealed, controlled environment!

What is does for wine, it does for fine machinery. Your vehicle can outlive you - I recommend you reflect that in your will or trust.

Come up with that yourself? Looks like the OP is storing outside and even if they are not do you actually have a point? Haven't seen many hermetically sealed garages.

Nevermind OP, just follow Calwaterboys advise. Build or locate for rental a hermetically sealed, controlled environment and disconnect those batteries! That is really all you need to do.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Either get a battery tender or disconnect the battery completely. Pour in some STA-BIL into the tank, let it run through the system and leave it be. You may also want to cover the exhausts with something just so that no creepy crawlies go into your exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:

>AHEM<

lol .... anybody who has taken a snowmobile ride up to the old mining camps in the Colorado high country knows that iron and steel have a very long life in this dry climate.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
Come up with that yourself? Looks like the OP is storing outside and even if they are not do you actually have a point? Haven't seen many hermetically sealed garages.

Nevermind OP, just follow Calwaterboys advise. Build or locate for rental a hermetically sealed, controlled environment and disconnect those batteries! That is really all you need to do.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

rdorman, your education needs a boost - Uncle Bob can help!

For the well heeled, service oriented facilities. OP, for Winter TLC, please PM yours truly for Caymans bank routing info - I'll be pleased to provide excellent Winter layup for your personal ride - substantial registration fee is required.

We must ask: Is OP a dedicated BMW aficionado?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
OMG! OMG! OMG!

rdorman, your education needs a boost - Uncle Bob can help!

For the well heeled, service oriented facilities. OP, for Winter TLC, please PM yours truly for Caymans bank routing info - I'll be pleased to provide excellent Winter layup for your personal ride - substantial registration fee is required.

We must ask: Is OP a dedicated BMW aficionado?
See OP, I told you just to listen to Calwaterboy. Come in looking for a little DIY winterizing and get PM'd information on off shore bank accounts and a sales pitch.

We all should be looking forward to the forthcoming advise on storage of fine wines.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I would crank the car at least once a month, keeps the cylinders from rusting and the bearings coated with some oil. worst thing for a car is not driving it for extended periods of time

Hondo
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
I would crank the car at least once a month, keeps the cylinders from rusting and the bearings coated with some oil. worst thing for a car is not driving it for extended periods of time

Hondo
Not a good idea to simply start and idle the car. If you can't drive it 10 miles or so, don't bother starting it.

Sta-bil and a Battery Tender is all you really need.

And if you insist on disconnecting the battery, don't forget that it will be very difficult to open the trunk, should it inadvertantly be closed.

Tom
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not a good idea to simply start and idle the car. If you can't drive it 10 miles or so, don't bother starting it.

Sta-bil and a Battery Tender is all you really need.

And if you insist on disconnecting the battery, don't forget that it will be very difficult to open the trunk, should it inadvertantly be closed.

Tom
Good point! Of course if you have the winter option you can always crawl in through the fold down back seat and pull the emergency release (I couldn't get the winter option on my bare bones E90 ).
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
....if you insist on disconnecting the battery, don't forget that it will be very difficult to open the trunk, should it inadvertantly be closed.

Tom, the good news is: There are Trunk Latch Electrical Activation Connections in the engine compartment.

Configured for easy use while wearing gloves, just clamp on those jumbo jumper cable jaws & press the key fob button.

Bonus: She'll start right up!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Tom, the good news is: There are Trunk Latch Electrical Activation Connections in the engine compartment.

Configured for easy use while wearing gloves, just clamp on those jumbo jumper cable jaws & press the key fob button.

Bonus: She'll start right up!
Solutions all around here, but the OP will miss the opportunity to use the "glow in the dark" emergency trunk release as mandated by Uncle Sam! (a good feature for trapped children or hanky panky in NJ). We should all experience this once in our lives.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)