Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by passer68 View Post
I wonder if my local non-Dinan dealership would be as accommodating if I got the tune and brought it to them with similar problems as you guys have been having.
I wanted my Dinan Dealer and my BMW delaer to be the same to eliminate the easy excuse that it's "Dinan's fault" without even investigating the problem. Apparently, warranty service depends on the dealer, since some think exploding sunroofs aren't their problem either.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by passer68 View Post
I wonder if my local non-Dinan dealership would be as accommodating if I got the tune and brought it to them with similar problems as you guys have been having.
Just to be clear - I have never had a problem with my Dinan. The car has run like clockwork since the tuning with no issues whatsoever.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I wanted my Dinan Dealer and my BMW delaer to be the same to eliminate the easy excuse that it's "Dinan's fault" without even investigating the problem. Apparently, warranty service depends on the dealer, since some think exploding sunroofs aren't their problem either.
Exactly on point
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
My Car made it into the shop since I wrote the first post; They said they were aware of the malfunction, and had a software patch that come out in August to address it; They applied the patch, and all seemed fine.. They added back the Dinan S2, and an SOS warning came on;

Looks like they will continue to work on this this week for me; Not sure if I should be happy there was a new software patch out for that problem or not now....

Anyone else heard of this patch released "this month" for this drive train malfunction of getting the SOS warning after a Dinan S2 flash?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
My Car made it into the shop since I wrote the first post; They said they were aware of the malfunction, and had a software patch that come out in August to address it; They applied the patch, and all seemed fine.. They added back the Dinan S2, and an SOS warning came on;

Looks like they will continue to work on this this week for me; Not sure if I should be happy there was a new software patch out for that problem or not now....

Anyone else heard of this patch released "this month" for this drive train malfunction of getting the SOS warning after a Dinan S2 flash?
Dealer never mentioned it to me. They replaced all my injectors
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Well, go the car back, and the Dinan was somehow installed without the error codes this AM; They didnt say what it was, or what fixed it;

As the for reprogram, They note said Canbus has Drive Train/Cluster errors and performed measures as result. The car seems fine; I can dig up specific wording if anyone cares at this point

I got the suspension done also this week; first drive was very nice with this done

Not sure what caused all the issues on my car, but no injector or parts replacement, just a software update (which now seems to have broke bluetooth for me) and all else seems to run as expected;

I will report back if any errors come back
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive M sport
Quote:
Well, go the car back, and the Dinan was somehow installed without the error codes this AM; They didnt say what it was, or what fixed it;

Not sure what caused all the issues on my car, but no injector or parts replacement, just a software update (which now seems to have broke bluetooth for me) and all else seems to run as expected;

I will report back if any errors come back
Thanks for the update.
1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:

As the for reprogram, They note said Canbus has Drive Train/Cluster errors and performed measures as result. The car seems fine; I can dig up specific wording if anyone cares at this point
Are you in Calgary or Edmonton?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix
Unhappy Chassis stabilization malfunction

Hello All

First post and first time BMW owner.
Love this car but problems!

Following 4weeks in the shop due to failure of the main computer I have started to get this error whenever I get on the gas. A restart always clears it. Simultaneously get loss of tire pressure monitoring system. Car defaults back to Comfort setting and brake HOLD no longer operates.

Has it been confirmed that a software patch corrects this?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Well, I dont know if I would ever call anything confirmed in the world of software... but since the update I got (August Service measures); there has been no malfunctions and the car is running perfect thus far...
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 AM

Well, Last weekend, the error has returned. So far just once. I have notified the dealer and they are investigating options currently. I am a little surprised it has returned, but none the less its back...

As with the last time this happened, it was during acceleration - firm, but not floored... Gas tank was ore than half full (some have posted it happens neat empty for them). There was no power loss and the car drove normal, but did loose the ability to enter into sport mode, use cruise control (active or standard).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Any one had a fix that has lasted for this issue? I read some other posts here for fuel pumps and injectors being replaced to resolve a similar issue (they all seemed to suffer power loss with this error, which I do not get)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550 xDrive
Quote:
Well, Last weekend, the error has returned. So far just once. I have notified the dealer and they are investigating options currently. I am a little surprised it has returned, but none the less its back...

As with the last time this happened, it was during acceleration - firm, but not floored... Gas tank was ore than half full (some have posted it happens neat empty for them). There was no power loss and the car drove normal, but did loose the ability to enter into sport mode, use cruise control (active or standard).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Any one had a fix that has lasted for this issue? I read some other posts here for fuel pumps and injectors being replaced to resolve a similar issue (they all seemed to suffer power loss with this error, which I do not get)

this is what they did for my car

1. replace fuel pump control
2. replace intake fuel pump

this was done about 1 1/2 month ago, todate no problems, everything running fine
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM

Well; they are not ready to replace those parts just yet;

They had a few cars here and they replaced the mass air flow sensors at the behest of Dinan I'm told with no positive improvement in the issue; From talking to a few people outside the boards there seems to be a small number of X drive cars that have had this issue and there is a line of investigation open in a few places.

I'm hopeful for some updated information by weeks end. I'll park the issue for the time being and update once real progress (good or bad) has been mad.

It may be interesting to see how many people have suffered this drive train error have a combination of Xdrive, Dinan, and power loss... there may be some interesting correlation in that data set...

p.s. is there an easy way to add a "poll" to this thread to attempt to collect that data, or should a new thread be started?

I think the following would be the questions...

Have you experienced the "Drive Train Malfunction" error
1) NO
2) Yes, I have 2WD, Dinan and No Power loss
3) Yes, I have 2WD, Dinan with Power Loss
4) Yes, I have Xdrive, Dinan and no Power Loss
5) Yes, I have Xdrive, Dinan with Power Loss
6) Yes, I have 2WD, and No power loss
7) Yes, I have 2WD, with Power Loss
8) Yes, I have Xdrive and no power loss
9) Yes, I have xdrive with power loss

I suspect if the poll asked those questions (and maybe we could skip "NO" as an option) we could find a common thread between the issues)

Last edited by bmguy; 10-22-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: adding the polling questions
Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 AM

I just had an intersting follow up call based on working with the dealer to get this malfunction corrected. Dinan called me to say they are creating new stage 2 for xdrives to avoid this error. It should be ready in a few weeks...

I guess I will have to try the update and see how it works... Too bad it's wintertime so testing it may be a little hard as the roads here are more for NHL players(the ice) Than for cars...

Sounds like a positive step forward to solving this...

Tk

Last edited by bmguy; 10-27-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
My 550XI is being delivered to me on tuesday post flash. If I need to drive 500 miles round trip to a Dinan dealership for a repeat flash, I am going to be pissed.

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Well, you may want to talk to them.... What I got advice on was a handful of xi models have an issue... I think he said 5 in Canada and the USA...

I think the odds are good with this few effected cars you will be fine...

The program he told me was to change how the initial power to allow transmission and the xdrive to properly use the power....

Either way, I would talk to them about it... But with so little issues in cars I'm not sure I would be overly concerned....
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM

I feel for you man, I hope they get this corrected for you guys. I am getting nervous over this stage 2 flash now

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i coupe
The 2012 F12/F13 are seeing similiar error messages to these. Replacing the injectors seems to be the common fix.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Well, I got on the gas due to some suggestion about the break in period perhaps not being the best way to break in an engine, and I must say this car is FAST. I am very happy with the tune so far.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 AM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
I am in and out of the dealer with this. No Dinan on mine. Service guy says that they are putting too much ethanol in the gas. This is too much for me. Shuddering and poor performance. They replaced a lot of parts in the past I can let you know when the car comes back.
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM

We don't have ethanol in most of the gas here... So not sure that's my issue... The gas stations that have that here don't clearly mark it but you can tell when they have high octane....

They have the new software for the Dinan ready, I'm having it installed first week of dec and I will see ow that goes...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Car was scheduled to have the revised stage 2 today for xi cars, but the dealer said they wanted to wait as they did a car a few days before and other errors have now reported so they asked me to hold off on this... Seems really odd but at least it's not effecting me right now as the drive train malfunctions easy to manage when it happens... Sounds like the new errors are more of an issue...

With so little cars effected, I. Can help but wonder what the real cause is for this....
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Well, thought I would follow up on this... The revised stage2 flash will with any luck at all be finally installed in my car in the morning....

I'm told the dealer here has only done one other car so far and I will be the second car.

After spending some time with the flash I will update anyone who still wants to know what it's like... The other car that had this done had some errors come up after flash about a month ago, but apparently none have returned so we decided to go ahead with the Dinan flash again... Assume it works with the latest integration level of the car that is...

Hopefully it works with no issues and corrects the malfunction warnings
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive M sport
Thanks for the update
1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix sport
Before I begin, please note that this is not my second post. I have a new screen name because my last one, which I have used over the last 2 years won't let me on any longer. No idea why. Maybe the password is an issue for some reason. It was "bikerboy".

However, that is not the issue. The issue is the DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION. I had my car in 3 times last week!...and that's not the first time for this issue. It's probably the 5th or 6th. My service guy appears disgusted that after 20 years of dealing with me and my cars, it has come down to this. He tells me that BMW is having fuel injector issues on all cars that have V8's. 5, 6 and 7.

You know what.....if they are, then recall them and put in new ones instead of having us drive our cars on freeways, possibly hundreds of miles from home, and you get a DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION light going on and your car begins to run like ****. I hope you all realize that the scenario I just wrote is very possible for any of you. The solution then would be to call a tow truck in the middle of nowhere and have it towed to the dealer, hundreds of miles away. Great!

THIS IS MY LAST BMW. I have been driving them since 1973. I'm done. If I have a client meeting 100 miles away, or have to be in court (I'm a lawyer) half way up the state and my car does this again (which is likely) I'm in serious trouble.

Unfortunately I have 1 year left on my lease. If I'd have bought the car, it'd be up for sale on Monday morning. Not sure what I can do now. Those of you who have these cars and love them....good luck. I've been their biggest fan for 40 years. A 1973 BMW 2002 was my first new car. I haven't abandoned them, they've abandoned me. Literally.