Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i MT
Bored of my 328i...want to spice it up.

Long time browser...but this is my first post.

In 2010 I was set on buying a Camaro. Well, when my wife reminded me that we were having kids soon, I decided to go for a sedan and thought the 4 door 3 series looked fairly sporty. Found a decent deal on a 2010 328i with a MT.

Love how the car drives. I am just getting bored with the look. I am at 41k miles on the stock run flats and they are wearing thin. I am wanting some advice on some ways to make some upgrades.

I do NOT have the sports package. I currently have the stock 16s and hate them (love the spoke styling though). Would 18s look fine without the sport package? Also, not sure if I should look at wider than stock. Any recommendations on this front?

One other area I hate is the front bumper. I really like this style bumper on the 335i:

Is there an economical way to upgrade to this bumper, or one of similar style?

I guess the last question is...how much to upgrade to LED halos?
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
I have a 328i cab with the sport package. I have 18 in for summer tires and 16 in for winter. Go for the 18 in, tires are a great way to spice up a car. They don't come cheap though. Here in Ontario they'd set you back $3,000+.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsyras View Post

In 2010 I was set on buying a Camaro. Well, when my wife reminded me that we were having kids soon, I decided to go for a sedan and thought the 4 door 3 series looked fairly sporty. Found a decent deal on a 2010 328i with a MT.

Love how the car drives. I am just getting bored with the look. I am at 41k miles on the stock run flats and they are wearing thin. I am wanting some advice on some ways to make some upgrades.

I do NOT have the sports package. I currently have the stock 16s and hate them (love the spoke styling though). Would 18s look fine without the sport package? Also, not sure if I should look at wider than stock. Any recommendations on this front?

One other area I hate is the front bumper. I really like this style bumper on the 335i:

Can greatly improve handling but that won't change looks much. Looking for cosmetics?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i MT
These changes are definitely for cosmetic purposes.

I guess my questions boil down to:

1) Will 18s look good without the sport package?

2) Do slightly wider tires add to the appearance?

3) What is the most economical way to get the bumper that the 335i is using from the OP?

4) What is the typical cost to upgrade to LED Halo lights?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:

3) What is the most economical way to get the bumper that the 335i is using from the OP?

Tsyras,
I'll give this a shot as a former "modder" (E39, E46 M3):
1. Of course a "plus" tire fitment (18") will add to the awesome look of your car.
2. An 18" tire option will be lower profile and wider "look."
3. Best to search other web sites for this info. There are many. This is slippery slope area unless you do your homework well and find a reliable company. Caution for poor fitting...don't go with anything made in China!
4. Best to start searching for BMW aftermarket lighting...many sites. Umnitza may be a good place to start. Automotive lighting offerings are rife with cheap Chinese imports...be careful.

You didn't mention wheels, but stay away from cheap cast wheels. Forged construction process is the best and most expensive...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. The wheels should be able to accommodate your TPMS sensors. I recommend The Tire Rack.

Others may chime in.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:

1. Yes. The sport package has nothing to do with the outside of the vehicle (other than the 18in if you'd bought them at the time.

2. Absolutely.

3. I was at the dealer today and I asked these questions for you(your post came in while I was at a new car rep). You can do this but not from the dealer. You'd have to find an aftermarket supplier. I was told of someone who did just that - got a new bumper, which then had to be painted the colour of the car.

4. Not from the dealer. You can find them at eBay. We looked it up for you and they were $39.

Hope this helps. The 328 is a beautiful car.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
LUX Angel eyes for the corona rings. They're not as bright as the stock BMW ones(Sis has the LCI 3 'vert) but they still look a lot better then the nasty yellow ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BWM 328i - 6 Speed
Well a cheap way to change the looks is an aftermarket body kit, you can try looking at Andys Auto Sport. You will find body kits that match the stock looks or different altogether. Find something you like and look for it on eBay. They carry alot of different items, including some nice headlights and tail lights.
For Rims I like companies like ASpec because of there replica style wheels. I mostly like them because you get to keep the BMW logo. I know I know i'm picky. A bonus in picking these is that they fully support the Tire Pressure Sensor. (Make sure you if you replace your wheels to have those installed on the new ones).

Another thing you can do, is try and find the bumper from the 335i that you like and put it on yours. I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume any of the 3 series would be interchangeable long as the years are matching up.

I personally love the look of our Bimmers, I bought my car used and it has aftermarket rims and I hate them, they look immature to me and I'm not big on low profile.

Last edited by starr_stealer; 12-01-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
Quote:

You can always do what I did. I've had many BMWs (and still have one), but was bored of how surgical they are. Yes, sounds weird, but I wanted some personality back in the car. I desperately wanted an engine sound that was beautiful. So I bought a brand new Challenger SRT8. RWD, Manual, Coupe, and fits two cars seats comfortably. Trunk is at least 50% bigger than a 3 series too! So you can have your cake and eat it too. When this gets boring, might get a 4 series or a M4 or another SRT product...who knows.

Let me know if you're interested in really shaking things up. I'll help you with questions.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1354571605768.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	351905  

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 12-03-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
You can always do what I did. I've had many BMWs (and still have one), but was bored of how surgical they are. Yes, sounds weird, but I wanted some personality back in the car. I desperately wanted an engine sound that was beautiful. So I bought a brand new Challenger SRT8. RWD, Manual, Coupe, and fits two cars seats comfortably. Trunk is at least 50% bigger than a 3 series too! So you can have your cake and eat it too. When this gets boring, might get a 4 series or a M4 or another SRT product...who knows.

Let me know if you're interested in really shaking things up. I'll help you with questions.
I agree the Challengers are nice. Real beauty to look at and drive but they are no BMW. Haha. Now I sounding like the M3 guys.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Original *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmagirl View Post
I agree the Challengers are nice. Real beauty to look at and drive but they are no BMW. Haha. Now I sounding like the M3 guys.
I find the rows of LEDs on the back quite annoying.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Bimmer App
Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post

True, but I must confess that the first time I saw one I caught up to the driver just so that I could ask him what kind of car that was.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
You obviously have never heard the engine note from the 6.4L SRT engine. I don't think they have a lot of SRT8s in Germany. Maybe you don't even know what they are. Anyway, the engine note is far better than any engine note of any BMW currently...including M3 or M5.

Last edited by thebmw; 12-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:

Argh...you really are clueless! You are thinking of the Charger. Geez, you don't know a Charger from a Challenger and you don't know the different trim levels and you don't know what the engines sound like but you keep on putting your 2 cents in. BTW, that whole LED fad was started in your country.

It's ignorance like this that gives BMW owners a bad name.

Last edited by thebmw; 12-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
In all seriousness, by the time you put on wheels, a front bumper and then spend some money on other things you don't love about the car, you are probably cheaper to trade it on an equivalent year/mileage 335i and have what you want.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:

1) yes. go quality with wheels. Apex make nice rotary forged wheels that won't break the bank.
2) yes, wider and more flush = more aggressive. Don't go too far, though.
3) look for an aftermarket 'OEM Front Lip". easy self-install. Shop around, will cost a few hundred. Goes right over the bottom part of your current bumper, and can be removed later if you want. Fitment is key, make sure to see photos of actual fitments.
4) no idea. don't like them.

Photo of my aero lip. Took me about an hour to install.

Last edited by andrew b; 12-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
In all seriousness, by the time you put on wheels, a front bumper and then spend some money on other things you don't love about the car, you are probably cheaper to trade it on an equivalent year/mileage 335i and have what you want.
Good point.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Original *****

Quote:
Argh...you really are clueless! You are thinking of the Charger. Geez, you don't know a Charger from a Challenger and you don't know the different trim levels and you don't know what the engines sound like but you keep on putting your 2 cents in. BTW, that whole LED fad was started in your country.

It's ignorance like this that gives BMW owners a bad name.
Yes, yes I am clueless on all things Chrysler, GM, or Ford MC. I could care less about Charger Challenger or Dart. I Just moved back to the states while serving....

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 12-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Yes, yes I am clueless on all things Chrysler, GM, or Ford MC. I could care less about Charger Challenger or Dart. I Just moved back to the states while serving....

If you don't care or don't know, don't chime in. Again, it's ignorance like this that gives BMW owners a bad name.

To the OP, I made my suggestion to change things up because, like roadkillrob said, by the time you make all those mods, you would have been better off getting a different car. And after all the mods, you still have the same fundamental car.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I agree, go for a 335i. I was going to buy a 328 but once I drove the 335i there was no turning back. The car still thrills me every time I drive it!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Original *****

Quote:
If you don't care or don't know, don't chime in. Again, it's ignorance like this that gives BMW owners a bad name.
Well since you say so.

Quote:
To the OP, I made my suggestion to change things up because, like roadkillrob said, by the time you make all those mods, you would have been better off getting a different car. And after all the mods, you still have the same fundamental car.
That is still a BMW and not some Detroit bucket.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM
'Fest Advisor

Quote:
Well since you say so.

That is still a BMW and not some Detroit bucket.

Yes...a BMW he is bored with. Sheesh...you really have a lot of hate, despite your ignorance about cars. Want to post something productive for a change?