Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big W View Post
you won't have regrets having too much horsepower, go for 35i
I did! Same thoughts!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 PM

For those of you whom have done a Craigslist sale, are there any recommendations or websites to visit on using this method to sell the car? I've only used dealers to trade cars.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
Never tried Craigslist before. I put my order in with BMW, but it won't be available for a few more weeks. Wonder if I could get the buyer to go through the dealer to make the purchase. Want to get the vehicle sale discount.
glennk, what brand of vehicle do you currently have? If non-BMW, you may want to visit that type dealer to see what they would give as a trade-in. Depending on condition and miles, they could see it as a CPO vehicle. Otherwise try CarMax (if local) or AutoTrader.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
For those of you whom have done a Craigslist sale, are there any recommendations or websites to visit on using this method to sell the car? I've only used dealers to trade cars.
The only problem with Craigslist is the amount of spam and there will potentially be a lot of it. Also if you current vehicle is fairly new, say 2-4 years old, this might not be the best method for advertising. It is free but not always effective. As noted in my prior post, try CarMax or AutoTrader.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I sold my 2 year old Nissan Murano in two days on Craigs list and my 3 year old Acura MDX in 6 days on Craigs list with no spam issues what so ever. It costs nothing to list or sell so why not try it? I came out ahead on both sales so it was a win/win situation for me. Basically take a few good photo's of your vehicle (inside and out), line itemize all the features and key points of it (mileage, color, condition, any bells and whistles, etc) and post it to your region. If you end up trading the car to a dealer, you can end the listing immediately. Here is a link to vehicles privately listed (non-dealer) on Craig's list in the Dallas area: http://dallas.craigslist.org/cto/

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 12-04-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The hidden benefit in trade-in is that your trade-in value is deducted prior to the sales tax calculations. So if your trade-in is worth 10k and the 7% sales tax (depending your home state) you will save $700 on the net purchase price. Trade-in is recommended for higher trade-in values to close the gap between sales tax savings and dealer trade-in vs private party price. The other option is sell your car while waiting for the order if you could manage with your wife's car or public transportation. First finalize the deal with the trade-in with an exit clause in the contract for the trade-in. Three weeks is a very good time to sell your car privately. Always have your private party sales contract as buyer purchasing the car "As is" to avoid any after sales issues with the buyer. If this didn't workout then you always falls back to dealer trade-in.
Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambos View Post
The hidden benefit in trade-in is that your trade-in value is deducted prior to the sales tax calculations.

That is not true in all states, Michigan being one of them. He would need to find that out for his state.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
That is not true in all states, Michigan being one of them. He would need to find that out for his state.
We get this deduction in Texas, but the deal must be done at the point of sale with the new vehicle. Called an "In-and-Out" in the car business.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
The only problem with Craigslist is the amount of spam and there will potentially be a lot of it. Also if you current vehicle is fairly new, say 2-4 years old, this might not be the best method for advertising. It is free but not always effective. As noted in my prior post, try CarMax or AutoTrader.
Scheduled an appointment with CarMax for tomorrow at 11 am. If they aren't much off the dealer, I'll just take the easier path with the dealer.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
glennk, what brand of vehicle do you currently have? If non-BMW, you may want to visit that type dealer to see what they would give as a trade-in. Depending on condition and miles, they could see it as a CPO vehicle. Otherwise try CarMax (if local) or AutoTrader.
2011 VW GTI 2-door manual w/Sunroof package. Its in good condition and has 15,600 miles. Reason for getting rid of it: Have a surgical wound that keeps opening when I get in the car, plus I have vertebrae issues in my lower back. Love the car, but need something higher up. NEVER thought in a million years I'd be driving an SUV!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
2011 VW GTI 2-door manual w/Sunroof package. Its in good condition and has 15,600 miles. Reason for getting rid of it: Have a surgical wound that keeps opening when I get in the car, plus I have vertebrae issues in my lower back. Love the car, but need something higher up. NEVER thought in a million years I'd be driving an SUV!
glennk, first nice car! You should be able to sell it privately or visit a VW dealer after CarMax. In general, GTI's seem to be in-demand. It might be more of a question of potential due on a loan vs. value.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 AM

Yeah, I plan on hitting another VW dealer right after.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM

Are the "winter mats" worth requesting? I've gotten the fabric ones in my GTI and they've been great.

Also, anyone know what the Money Factor and Residual is for an X3 XDrive 35i with 10,000 or 12,000 miles?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Night and day difference between the turbo 6 and na 6. I didn't drive the turbo 4 as it wasn't out yet. I have a 2011 X3 35i. If you are a performance guy or a mod junky...the turbo 6 should be a no brainer. Most of you probably won't, but if you ever feel the need for more power...a simple flash will give you between 50-100whp...depending on what company software you go with (i.e. Dinan, OE Tuning, etc). Just food for thought.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
3.5, 3.5, 3.5.....
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
Night and day difference between the turbo 6 and na 6. I didn't drive the turbo 4 as it wasn't out yet. I have a 2011 X3 35i. If you are a performance guy or a mod junky...the turbo 6 should be a no brainer. Most of you probably won't, but if you ever feel the need for more power...a simple flash will give you between 50-100whp...depending on what company software you go with (i.e. Dinan, OE Tuning, etc). Just food for thought.
The N20 will likely get a flash mod for the X3 at some point as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
My wife was looking to replace her Lexus SUV, and we were given a 2.8 X3 to drive for a couple of days, then we returned it and were given a 3.5 model for a couple of days. The 4 cylinder has a remarkable amount of torque, and is exceptionally quiet when idling (no, engine not off!). It does of course have a different engine and exhaust sound than the 6 cylinder, but it was quite nice. Driving the 3.5, however, revealed a different launch, acceleration feel, and a throatier exhaust. While the turbo 4 is impressive (and gets better mileage) the 6 won her and my heart. Smooth, fast, responsive, and sublime. To us, the few extra dollars for gasoline was worth the uptick in confidence and overall feel of the bigger engine. (Obviously it's more expensive which is clearly a consideration too). Good luck with your choice - let us know what it is!

Doug
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
+1 to some the 35i might even be a little "too" aggressive/sporty insert whatever adjective you like. It's loud at times (cold start), makes turbo noises that are clearly heard, launches like a small block V8, etc., etc,, still waiting for the DINAN release not like it needs it though.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Are the "winter mats" worth requesting? I've gotten the fabric ones in my GTI and they've been great.

Also, anyone know what the Money Factor and Residual is for an X3 XDrive 35i with 10,000 or 12,000 miles?
Because you're in Dallas they may not be that necessary. Are you concerned about Mud? Northeasterners definitely need winter mats.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
The hidden benefit in trade-in is that your trade-in value is deducted prior to the sales tax calculations. So if your trade-in is worth 10k and the 7% sales tax (depending your home state) you will save $700 on the net purchase price. Trade-in is recommended for higher trade-in values to close the gap between sales tax savings and dealer trade-in vs private party price. The other option is sell your car while waiting for the order if you could manage with your wife's car or public transportation. First finalize the deal with the trade-in with an exit clause in the contract for the trade-in. Three weeks is a very good time to sell your car privately. Always have your private party sales contract as buyer purchasing the car "As is" to avoid any after sales issues with the buyer. If this didn't workout then you always falls back to dealer trade-in.
Good luck.
NJ is this way too. With the addition of money saved on sales tax I was still better off selling my MDX on Craig's List; added $2100 to my bank account- paid for Dynamic Handling and Premium Sound Packages for new X3.

Sold the MDX in 2 days. No spam, but a couple of wholesalers called and 1 guy tried to low ball me. Showed the car to 2 guys and 1 bought it. Advertised in 7 areas around where I live- just copied the ad over each time. Deleted them all the day of the sale to avoid more phone calls.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Congrats. Way to go. Not surprised that your car was sold quickly. Wholesale buyers are scavengers of the business. They are the ones showup initially and offer you the rock bottom price that is much lower than what you would get from the dealer trade-in. Some are even pretend to be buying for their family. You will only find out that they are really used car salesmen when you sign the paperwork. Best strategy to keep them away is to say "price is firm and not negotiable" in you car ad to keep these guys away.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Congrats. Way to go. Not surprised that your car was sold quickly. Wholesale buyers are scavengers of the business. They are the ones showup initially and offer you the rock bottom price that is much lower than what you would get from the dealer trade-in. Some are even pretend to be buying for their family. You will only find out that they are really used car salesmen when you sign the paperwork. Best strategy to keep them away is to say "price is firm and not negotiable" in you car ad to keep these guys away.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Totally unrelated, BUT: "Sleepy's" mattress salesmen make used car salesmen look like investment bankers. If anyone here is in the market do yourself a favor and buy it online. Unbelievable what sleazeballs these guys are. Tried 3 different stores and each guy was worse than the last- they must be straight commission- based.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Because you're in Dallas they may not be that necessary. Are you concerned about Mud? Northeasterners definitely need winter mats.
That and the pollen we have on everything.