Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Oh, yes indeed!

True dat!

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post

I find it particularly rankling to have BMW fail to include a Y-connector to connect an iPod on its 2012 X35i, though it does on the X28i. I don't know about the 2013s, though.

One would think that, if anything, it would be the reverse, even though if one can afford the car, the connector shouldn't be a major issue.

But somehow it's the little things like that that can be aggravating, at least to me.

When I called and asked a consumer rep at BMW NA if a retailer would sell a TV or expensive stereo or Internet system without a remote or a power source or whatever, and whether BMW felt that it would be worth it to lose a customer to save a few dollars, the genius replied, "Well, we're talking about a vehicle, not a TV, and we feel our vehicles are the best, but you are free to choose another brand." She suggested that I take it up with the dealer where I purchased the car.

So when I did, calling Encinitas BMW where I purchased that new vehicle and have two cars serviced, they also said "Nope. Can't help you."

So I will vote with my feet, as it were, and they have lost me as a client. But the pity is that I clearly mean absolutely nothing to them, nobody will know, and nobody will care.

And there you have it.

Richard

Translation: I've spent plenty of money here, gimme more free stuff!

Entitlement is such a beautiful thing to behold!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

And you in fact did read my post, (or actually didn't read it) the wrong way, so that at least you come by your screen name honestly.

I don't believe that I am entitled to "more free stuff," but wonder why you seem to think it makes sense to include an item (costing $10 for BMW to obtain, as I am informed by another poster) in the same line or series of vehicle but at or in a lower or lesser model, and not in the more expensive one. But, then, I guess it's just my sense of entitlement that has me confused.

It would appear that the airlines also need your help with their mileage plans, and their more loyal or frequent passengers have also missed the point. They clearly need your guidance and wisdom, and, above all, your off-point snide commentary, inasmuch as they are gearing their passenger status configurations to dollars spent, which you apparently feel makes such status flyers somehow elitist, undeserving and unworthy of the benefits of their continued patronage.

But, not unlike BMW's representative's response when I asked her if she thought that a TV should not come with a remote, "We're talking about a car, not a TV," you no doubt will, in similar vein, respond, "We're talking about acknowledgement of loyalty to a car brand, not to an airline."

Remind you of anything I said? Yep, the fact that I have, in fact, purchased several of their products, though clearly not as many as several on this site, not that that matters. It just seems to me that that loyalty should indeed be rewarded, and, if that makes me guilty of the "sin" of entitlement in your eyes, knock yourself out, trust me, amigo...I can handle it.

You have totally missed the point, as, to me, it is a simple matter of BMW having made a business decision as to the up front cost of $10, assuming that that cost is accurate, as opposed to my purchasing a different brand and/or someone doing the same after learning of my experience with BMW at the cost of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

DOH!

It's all about the manufacturer being appreciative of the purchaser as a customer and its interest in what its brand stands for and wants to be. Those who demonstrate that they do seem to prosper. Those who don't often take a hit to their brand, whether on Yelp, Bimmerfest, or what have you.

You have taken far more of my time than you deserve. You are entitled to your opinion, including that of me. As stated above, it and you could not possibly be more inconsequential.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-29-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Here's the problem...

iPods are NOT in any way obscure. However, the problem is in the many different iterations of the iPod. Of the 30pin connector variety, there are several that are not fully 100% compatible depending on the generation of iPod. Then of course, there is the new 19pin connector that also causes headaches for compatibility.

Ahh, but ignorance of these details should be BMW's responsibility? I forget how Apple's changes to hardware might be the responsibility of the car manufacturer...

Then on top of that, let's also make note of the fact that what and how an iPod is compatible is also dictated by the level of equipment in each varying audio package (or lack thereof). USB/Bluetooth has varying levels of compatibility compared to the standard iPod connector and also whether or not the vehicle is equipped with navigation.

Ignorance of these items should also be BMW's responsibility?

As someone else posted earlier, the Y-connector is not absolutely necessary to use an iPod with a BMW. (You know, I've been using my iPod without a Y-connector all this time! I should get a free one too!!)

In any case, I doubt anyone else would care that you left a vehicle brand because you couldn't figure out how to get an iPod to play nice with a car.

By all means, continue to feel entitled to your iPod cable. Justify that with all your arguments about how they should bend over backwards for you because you bought a(4) BMW(s) or whatever service or extras they should provide for you because you bought a BMW. In fact, I think everyone should go to their dealers and stamp their feet with pouty faces for free cables and stuff because they bought a BMW and they should have what's in that other car!

People will continue to buy cars to drive in. The world will keep turning.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Thanks for the response, which was, for the most part, more civil than your earlier one, apart from the infantile idiotic drivel about "pouty faces and stamping feet" you seem to be unable to stop yourself from spouting, while attempting to lay it at my feet. Sorry, but it's, "Return to Sender."

You are off point in that I don't expect BMW to provide me with the connector I need, but, rather, a connector, as it does in the X28i, which is, again, as you don't seem to get it, a lower priced model in the same series. Why not simply provide it in both models, or neither? If you bought a new three-bedroom house that was identical in every way to a new two-bedroom home next door at the same time in the same community, same view, etc., and the two-bedroom, which costs less, came with a swimming pool while the three-bedroom did not...oh, never mind. I give up.

You are also incorrect in your rather odd assumption, based on nothing, that I somehow demand or expect that BMW match Apple's every new iteration, and must give me a new part each and every time it releases a new iPod or whatever. You and you alone have somehow decided that that is my position or expectation. Nope...sorry, Chuckles. It ain't.

Regardless of your experience with connectors, and/or that of others, which I hope you can understand doesn't help me, my standard connector did not work in my vehicle, after which the chief parts tech at my dealership tried mine and a second one (after the service tech confirmed that it wasn't working), and confirmed that the standard connectors didn't work, and told me that I had to purchase a Y-connector at around $100 (a $10 part, remember), which I did. It worked. Oh, well.

I also purchased the newer pin connector from Apple, so it's not about the dollars.

And I see nothing wrong with a vendor or manufacturer taking brand loyalty into consideration, or a long-term customer or client expecting that his or her patronage is appreciated and indeed rewarded. Your position would suggest that expectation of consideration based upon repeat patronage somehow smacks of elitism or entitlement, and that my having spent over $250,000 not only can but should be disregarded. However, even if it can or should be doesn't answer the question of why the connector isn't provided in the first place (in the X35i). It still doesn't make sense to me.

No two people are alike, and I would note that when I feel that something is not right, I am prone to speak up and act accordingly, regardless of whether you or others agree or whether my actions impact upon the world as we know or see it. Of course they don't. You are of course free to disagree and think less of me (if that is possible from your exalted position on high), and even continue to mock me (instead of yourself), as that seems to suit you, as you appear to have a rather deep-rooted, no doubt inadequacy-driven need to do so in a vain effort to compensate and make it "awww bettuw," as it were. Absent that, you would simply keep your views re me to yourself, rather than showing everyone your (as well as that you're an) ass by persisting and perseverating in and by doing so.

Why not just let it go? I'm so sick of you and your smugness that I'm willing to admit that you're right and I'm totally wrong, which is no doubt your norm in beating others into submission out of sheer exhaustion and unwillingness to suffer your presence any longer. Your wife (or ex) and therapist have told you the same, but, then, you know that truth without being told.

There, poochie-kins! You win! Yaay! All better now?

Best,

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-02-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

As an aside, my vehicle has navigation and the upgraded or premium stereo, simply for informational purposes, as you mentioned that as being a possible reason for my iPod not working, as it did in my others.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
You act like I care, which is far from the truth.

I'm an ass, and I don't care. Simply put, I call a spade a spade. Your posts just provide amusement.

A kid who throws tantrums isn't doing it because they know they're going to be ignored. There's no point in an attention-seeking behavior that doesn't get you attention.

You come here whining about your iPod not working and tossing around consumer reports summations about reliability and don't expect to be called out?

I've given you the most obvious explanations in plain English, but apparently my infantile mockery still goes over your head.

Without specifics and delving into your love of analogies, my house could have 3 bedrooms and your house with 10. I might have a copper piping while you have pipes made of plastic. I might have a swimming pool and you don't.

The fact you paid X dollars for a more expensive X has no bearing on what comes with it, or what doesn't.

Others have iPods that work fine with what they are given. Maybe your specific iPod model doesn't. Again, not BMW's responsibility. Also, doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the BMW works as a vehicle. Someone else's iPod could work just dandy in your X3. Going back to the above analogy, none of those items have anything to do with whether or not the house works as a house, or place of residence.

Just because you paid X more dollars for your 10 bedroom house, doesn't entitle you to the pool I got with my 3 bedroom house for less dollars.

If you were spouting off about how much you spent at BMW here, I can only imagine what you looked like from the vantage point of the dealer or salesperson. (I can pseudo psychoanalyze too!)


P.S.
Might help to take your tantrums a bit more seriously if people knew exactly which model iPod you were trying to fit into your X3 with what level of equipment (Harmon Kardon, Nav?) vs the equipment level of the X 28i.
When I was in pre-school, I had to learn about something regarding square pegs and round holes and the like. I failed that class somewhere along the line...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Ok...you admit you're an ass. Now we're making progress.

I do not whine. I state my case, and if the answer is no, I decide whether to continue to do business with that source. Others may or may not wish to take my experience into consideration, or act or not act as I do. No two sets of circumstances are necessarily alike, and no two individuals will necessarily react in similar manner. It's ok...really. I do not hold myself up as a paragon of virtue, nor do I feel that I am right all the time. I am open to civil discussion, and am more than willing to learn from others. But, having said that, I am human, and tend to react in accord with the content of a post, for example, by which I mean its tone.

If someone says, "I disagree, and feel you are wrong in your position, and here is how and why I feel that way...," I'm "all ears." God is not through with me yet. I am far from perfect in many ways.

Having said that, please note that I do not expect any firm to kowtow to me, or do or give me whatever I want when I want it. Nobody gets that. I do, however, make decisions based on my analysis of what works and/or doesn't work for me and those who are important to me, and how I am treated, as I think most of us (I can't speak for you) do.

As to Wrongway's example of the two like houses, and in speaking of "alike," I went out of my way to emphasize in my example that they were identical in every aspect and respect other than in the number of bedrooms.

He then deliberately twisted and distorted that hypothetical by saying, "Well, mine might have copper piping while yours might have plastic, so they obviously won't cost the same," or one has a pool while the other doesn't, or words to that effect, attempting to do so to prove his point, even though his analogy or scenario has nothing whatsoever to do with mine, and was in no way responsive. How it could it have been, as he had completely changed the facts as I proposed them! Of course he is correct in stating that when two houses are vastly dissimilar they will not cost the same! But that was not my premise! Again, my hypothetical involved two homes that were exactly the same...both new, same view, same everything except for the number of bedrooms!

So, class, an X35i is to an X28i as (a) A three-bedroom house is to an identical two-bedroom house, apart from the number of bedrooms, or (b) A ten-bedroom house is to a three-bedroom house?

What's that, Mr. Toad? Answer (b)? Wok-wok-waaah! Oh, I'm so sorry, Mr. Toad...you've taken another wild ride, and are off the reservation.

DOH!

At least as I see it, Wrongway's revisionist history is more akin to comparing a 7-Series vehicle to a 1-series rather than an X35i to an X28i. Yes, I know that the engines and other features are different, but I would find it odd if the X28i was equipped with a premium radio while the X35i was not, and so forth. I know that many things and considerations go into the decision-making process, and I fully admit that I know nothing of what leads to them and that I do not believe that I am to be consulted in such.

I do, however, have the right to express my opinion that it is, at least to me, unexplainable, and that it irritates me (OK...pisses me off). Again, why not supply the connector to both...or neither? I do acknowledge Wrongway's point that the connection set-up in the X28i may differ from that in the X35i...I simply don't know if that is so, though I doubt it. Maybe it differs depending upon how each stereo is configured. I do know, however, that the cable is included with one, namely in the wrong one. Just my opinion. And I remain of the opinion and position, however much of a dick Wrongway thinks I am for feeling that it would have been so very simple for BMW to have spent the $10 or whatever it would have cost them in return for making me happy. That's all. No tantrums. No holding my breath. No nuthin' other than my being disappointed. That's it.

Regardless of my viewpoint and however many character flaws I might have, I don't think that it was a good business decision on their part. If I had to grit my teeth and spend X in return for a return of 500X on one unit of business (if not multiples of that 500X)...well, you get the picture.

So...it seems to me that Wrongway's logic is so wanting and his repeatedly being clobbered by being called out on it yet coming back for more reminds me of a toy I had when I was a kid, called "Puncho." It was a large plastic clown, weighted on the bottom with sand, so that when you bopped it in the nose, it went down, but would pop back up, tirelessly asking for more. It never learned, nor, apparently, does he.

Rather than keep his thoughts to himself, beginning with "You're not a car person," or something like that, and then escalating to wildly inaccurate statements about temper tantrums, whining and entitlement on my part, based on nothing, he repeatedly ends up in a swamp or cesspool of smegma of his own creation. What he gets out of that continued masochistic need is beyond me, but it must fill some perverse void.

I continue to believe that customers or clients who patronize a business on a regular basis and who spend more with or in it have a reasonable expectation of a degree of recognition. Wrongway disagrees, which is his right. Many, though admittedly not all businesses, agree with the former.

And, by the way, when I spoke to BMW and then to my dealership after BMW said, in essence, "Tough luck," I did so quietly and politely, as people are people, and respond to calm rather than to shouting or to people who are jerks. Wrongway wasn't there, and can choose to believe me or not...it matters less than zero to me.

Today contained another example of the difference between what you seem to have pictured my behavior to be and its reality. I asked for a favor from an airline agent, and a few hours later received a call from her in which I was told that it what t I had asked for wasn't possible. I simply said, "Thanks...I know you tried, and would have done it if you could." End of story. I am not looking for a merit badge, but, as Wrongway doesn't know me, it's nothing if not bizarre that he professes the opposite, which has led him to a distorted view of my persona, indicating that I "whine" or throw child-like tantrums when and whenever I don't get my way. Ain't so, Joe.

What is really going on here seems to be rather clear...Wrongway recognizes himself in the manner in or with which he portrays me, and it bothers and torments him so that he has to lash out at me, investing in me the very things within himself that he finds so very painful if not hated, as it is so much easier to kick the dog, as it were, than to face the truth in one's self and then deal with it. It's even stranger that he thinks that he can somehow divine how I present myself, which is a rather remarkable feat.

I also note that Wrongway did not dispute my observation that others who know him well or best have no doubt said many of the things that I have, but, rather than plumb (get it?) those depths, segues into discussions of copper versus plastic piping, off-point analogies about pools, 10 bedroom vs. 3-bedroom homes, along with self-admitted infantile mockery (very, very nice...though a brief ray of self-truth) and finger-pointing.

Projection and displacement are powerful defense mechanisms. Using terms like "whining," "tantrums," etc. are so transparent at their essence that it would be laughable were it not so very sad.

But I'm done

It's a good topic for what I have no doubt will be our next session, but I see that our time is up for today.

By the way, my iPod is the "Classic" model, I believe, though I also have a Nano, series or version 7. As I told you earlier, my car has Nav and the Premium Stereo Package, but I really don't know if its components are by H-K or some other brand. I am sorry...I just don't know the answer to that.

But I feel that it is best for me to simply acknowledge that Wrongway and I disagree, and to simply end our correspondence.

I wish him well, in the spirit of the upcoming holidays, and if in my earlier or original post I came across as petulant or off-putting, I apologize to all readers of our discourse for my part in it, whatever it might be, as tone or intent cannot jump off the printed page. It was not my intent to offend.

It is time to end this, as it is accomplishing nothing. It is odd how this grew from my comments about my experience with BMW and my mentioning Consumer Reports' data concerning the X35i to this. The latter reliability survey findings (uh...not mine) in particular seem to have been lost. Somebody must be having issues with the model, no? Don't shoot the messenger, OK? And as hard as it may be to believe, I really DO enjoy driving my car, though I have had problems with it, such as it lurching from a stop, with gears seeming to "rev," and a drifting to the right, with both having been refractory to many visits to the dealership. Both problems are hardly unknown, based on multiple posts, and it may well be my frustration that led to my reaction to the connector cable issue. It's possible, I guess.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-02-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 PM
NoI4plz NoI4plz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stop stalking me!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
__________________
BMW and Mercedes Build Beta Products!
Lexus build Release Candidate Products!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Bmwlvr60 Bmwlvr60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,265
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Consumer Reports Review:


Consumer Reports Rates X3 28i #1
Consumer Reports rates X3 28i #1
Consumer Reports rates 2013 X3 28i #1 Compact Sporty Sport-Utility Vehicle.



16
Compact sporty sport-utility vehicles
BMW X3 xDrive28i (2.0T)
$38,500 - $43,600
($44,595)
80
NEW 23
Acura RDX
$34,320 - $39,420
($36,605)
79
NEW 22
Infiniti EX
$36,800 - $40,550
($39,425)
78
18
Audi Q5 2.0T
$35,900 - $50,900
($41,075)
77
21
Volkswagen Tiguan SEL
$22,995 - $36,820
($37,020)
76
21
Cadillac SRX
$37,155 - $50,555
($43,085)
72
18
Volvo XC60 T6
$34,350 - $48,950
($42,245)
70
17
Mercedes-Benz GLK350
$37,090 - $39,090
($41,760)
66
18
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
$41,145 - $44,145
($45,745)
58
NA NA 21
Land Rover LR2
$36,400 - $36,400
($36,450)
52
NA NA 18



Road TestxDrive28i 4-cyl
The X3 provides a sporty driving experience with a beautifully finished, quiet, comfortable cabin. Agile handling and spirited performance make the X3 fun to drive. A new turbocharged four-cylinder base engine replaces the outgoing six-cylinder and gets a very good 23 mpg overall but it isn't as refined as the sweet inline Six. Controls tend to be somewhat complicated.

The Driving Experience
Ride comfort and noise: Despite an underlying tautness, the X3's ride is compliant and controlled. Some road bumps provoke short, quick side-to-side motions, though. The highway ride feels solid and unruffled. The drum-tight cabin remains very quiet for the most part although some road hiss can creep in, and when the four-cylinder engine is idling it emits a mild but noticeable diesel-like clatter from its direct fuel injection.

Handling: The X3 drives almost as crisply as a good sports sedan. Body lean is well tamed and the quick steering provides welcome feedback. The AWD system works transparently. When pushed to its limits the X3 remains stable and forgiving, and it threaded through our avoidance maneuver at a relatively high speed. Steering feedback, however, is somewhat diminished at its handling limits.

Powertrain: A new 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged engine replaces the conventional six-cylinder and gets the same 240 hp output. Fuel economy increased slightly to 23 mpg overall on required premium fuel. It serves up impressive performance, but isn't as refined as the previous engine. The higher-end X3 35i, which costs about $5,000 more, comes with a 300-hp, 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder.

All X3s use a very smooth eight-speed automatic transmission that shifts frequently but nearly imperceptibly. A manual transmission is no longer offered. Manual shift overrides are available through the fiddly electronic shift lever. Sport, Comfort, and EcoPro modes alter the shift points but we found the EcoPro mode noticeably dulled the power response.

There's also an engine stop/start system that shuts down the engine while idling to save fuel, restarting instantly when you take your foot off the brake. We reckon it's good for about one mpg extra in city driving but the engine restarts with a slight shudder. If you don't care for this feature you can shut it off.

Braking: Overall performance was excellent on both wet and dry pavement.

Headlights: Low beams shine a good distance to the front and very good distance to the sides. They have a more gradual upper cutoff than most, making them more pleasing to drive behind. High beams are more intense and project farther down the road. Xenon high intensity discharge (HID) headlights are standard on the X3 35i but optional on the 28i.

Inside The Cabin
Driving position: Drivers sit high and upright, and the steering wheel has a helpfully generous range of tilt and telescope adjustments. We liked the well-placed left foot rest, too. Some tall drivers found the driving position a bit too narrow, with the console intruding on their right knee. Also, the power seat adjustments can take more fiddling than usual to find an ideal driving position.

Visibility is very good to the front and sides, thanks to a big windshield and unobtrusive thin windshield pillars. Large rear roof pillars, small quarter windows, and a small rear window impede rear visibility, however. Our X3 lacked the optional backup camera, a glaring omission for a $44,000 vehicle. Note to BMW: Even the Honda CR-V supplies a backup camera as standard equipment, at half the X3's price.

Seat comfort and access: The front seats are supportive, but some drivers may find them too firm. A power lumbar adjustment provides good lower-back support. Two or even three adults can fit comfortably in the rear, but the seat is too low to provide ideal thigh support, and the cushion in the center is very hard. Large door openings and shallow sills make access easy front and rear.

Controls and gauges: Many controls are awkward or confusing. The electronic console shifter requires the driver to press one button to shift into gear and another to park. Moreover, you must push the shifter forward from park to engage reverse. Wiper and turn signal stalks that return center make it hard to cancel an input or figure out what setting the wipers are on.

But while the iDrive multi-controller system remains complicated to navigate, there are now well-located hard keys for some radio and climate functions, so you won't necessarily be snared in a bureaucracy of unnecessary menus to make simple adjustments. Unfortunately, there is still no dedicated radio-tuning knob to make life behind the wheel even easier. The power lock button is on the center dash instead of the driver's door.

Most gauges are clear, but the speedometer is labeled only in 10-mph increments so it's tough to tell exactly how fast you're going. A digital heads-up speedometer display is optional.

Interior fit and finish: The interior is well finished and businesslike. Impressive touches include tightly woven, low-nap carpet, large wood-trim panels, nicely flocked storage compartments, and padded dash and door panels. Even the cargo area is well detailed, with adjustable tie-downs for cargo. A few misaligned dashboard panels and wide gaps on the center console are minor detractions.

Cabin storage and cargo room: Cabin storage is moderate, with a good-sized center-console bin and deep pockets in the front doors. The roomy and well-finished cargo area now has a standard powered liftgate. The rear seat folds in three sections to expand it further. A low cargo floor and flush sill makes it easy to load cargo. X3s have run-flat tires so there is no jack or spare tire.

Safety Notes
Safety belts: All seats have lap-and-shoulder belts; the front pair has pretensioners, but they lack a height adjustment.

Air bags: Curtain air bags extend front and rear. Both front seats also have knee air bags. Sensors will disable all the air bags in the front passenger position if a child is sitting there, it senses that a child seat is mounted, or the seat is unoccupied.

Head restraints: Front and rear outboard seats have adjustable, locking head restraints that are tall enough to protect an adult even when lowered. Front-seat restraints are active, moving forward to mitigate whiplash injury in a rear crash. The center-rear restraint is too low for an adult and not adjustable.

Crash-avoidance systems: Electronic stability control, traction control, antilock brakes, and brake assist are all standard.

Driving with kids: When secured with belts alone, it can be difficult to keep a rear-facing infant seat in the center rear position from rocking side-to-side. Some rear-facing infant seat bases may also be too loose in the outboard seats when installed with belts. Child restraints can be better secured using the lower-LATCH anchors but they're a bit awkward to access. All three rear seating positions have top-tether anchors.

Reliability
We do not have data to predict reliability, this model is new.

Tested model: 2013 xDrive28i 4-door SUV AWD, 2.0-liter 4-cyl. turbo, 8-speed automatic
Major options: Heated seats and steering wheel, leather, moonroof, satellite radio,40/20/40 folding rear seats
This road test applies to the current model year of this vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Excellent. I'm really glad to hear/see this news.

I really hope that reliability will follow suit and improve from CR's last assessment.

It really is a great car.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
here ya go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
...
As to Wrongway's example of the two like houses, and in speaking of "alike," I went out of my way to emphasize in my example that they were identical in every aspect and respect other than in the number of bedrooms.

He then deliberately twisted and distorted that hypothetical by saying, "Well, mine might have copper piping while yours might have plastic, so they obviously won't cost the same," or one has a pool while the other doesn't, or words to that effect, attempting to do so to prove his point, even though his analogy or scenario has nothing whatsoever to do with mine, and was in no way responsive. How it could it have been, as he had completely changed the facts as I proposed them! Of course he is correct in stating that when two houses are vastly dissimilar they will not cost the same! But that was not my premise! Again, my hypothetical involved two homes that were exactly the same...both new, same view, same everything except for the number of bedrooms!
Richard
No likey my hypothetical? Doesn't seem so far fetched to me when you can freely use an analogy like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
When I called and asked a consumer rep at BMW NA if a retailer would sell a TV or expensive stereo or Internet system without a remote or a power source or whatever, and whether BMW felt that it would be worth it to lose a customer to save a few dollars, the genius replied, "Well, we're talking about a vehicle, not a TV, and we feel our vehicles are the best, but you are free to choose another brand." She suggested that I take it up with the dealer where I purchased the car.
Richard
Yet BMW didn't. Simply put, BMW isn't responsible if your Apple product isn't fully 100% compatible. Nor are they responsible for the many iterations of iPods Apple may or may not have changed. That's Apple's problem, not BMW's. I don't buy a Samsung TV expecting it to work perfectly with a Vizio remote.

Or was it maybe that you thought that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
If you bought a new three-bedroom house that was identical in every way to a new two-bedroom home next door at the same time in the same community, same view, etc., and the two-bedroom, which costs less, came with a swimming pool while the three-bedroom did not...
Richard
is a valid analogy?

However, here again, the X3 28i and the equipment level are obviously NOT equipped the same as the X3 35i. Let's not even get to the logistics of asking any mechanic to see if you could drop the 35i engine into the same place as the 28i engine. (ports, hoses, connections are not in the same spaces, nor are the sizes the same) Because, oh, they're exactly the same otherwise!

As a matter of fact, those cables are included with X3s that do NOT have smartphone integration.

Since your vehicle did not come with the cable, then it must have had the smartphone integration package. Whereas the 28i obviously did not.

As it were, a 28i can also have the upgraded sound package for $940ish whereas the 35i can go without. (or vice versa) You wouldn't visually see anything different, and both could have navigation as well included in a separate package. To sum up, the 28i and 35i can have several possible configurations that can be purchased a la carte that can have any number of combinations of with or without smartphone integration, with or without upgraded sound package and possibly with or without navigation. Any combination can be indistinguishable from the other visually.



As for my tone, that you seem to love to talk about, and how I must project my insecurities, do recall it was you back on page 1 talking about the BMW associate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
When I called and asked a consumer rep at BMW NA if a retailer would sell a TV or expensive stereo or Internet system without a remote or a power source or whatever, and whether BMW felt that it would be worth it to lose a customer to save a few dollars, the genius replied, "Well, we're talking about a vehicle, not a TV, and we feel our vehicles are the best, but you are free to choose another brand." She suggested that I take it up with the dealer where I purchased the car.
Richard
I'm sure they'd have loved it if you called them that to their face eh?

But hey! Anyone could have researched all that on google in a matter of 5 minutes and didn't have to resort to calling someone a "genius". You'd have just realized that your more expensive car came with something the 28i didn't!

You were making snide comments at other people here LONG before I ever popped onto this thread, like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
To KantucKid:
In response to another poster, who was polite enough to respond without coming across as a jerk by being insulting
Richard
or
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
One other thing, Kantuckid...I was not aware that you knew me well enough to decide whether I am or am not a "car person," or whatever. The fact of the matter is that I consider myself to be one, though, given our long relationship based upon one posting, you somehow feel qualified to assess that part of me. Rest assured that I will give your opinion the weight it deserves, though you of course have the right to your analysis of my persona, hobbies, etc., inasmuch as you are no doubt highly trained in such.
Richard
ahh, but as you so eloquently put it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
Projection and displacement are powerful defense mechanisms.
Richard
Frankly, I think I follow your tenements to the T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
No two people are alike, and I would note that when I feel that something is not right, I am prone to speak up and act accordingly, regardless of whether you or others agree or whether my actions impact upon the world as we know or see it.
Richard
So frankly, I felt you weren't right in how you portrayed the customer service rep or the other people that replied prior to myself.

I still stand by my assessment;
Entitlement, beautiful thing to behold.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
So I will vote with my feet, as it were, and they have lost me as a client. But the pity is that I clearly mean absolutely nothing to them, nobody will know, and nobody will care.
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Wrongway keeps chanting his mantra of "entitlement." I think my position was correct, and the fact that my request was denied and my expectation was not met in no way changes that. As the Stones say, "You can't always get what you want." I'm ok with that.

And Wrongway is free to consider my decision to look elsewhere a child-like or infantile tantrum, though I believe that it is more likely than not that he, like most of us, has probably had similar "tantrums," as he puts it, and speaks up when he is dissatisfied, though I really doubt that he regards them as such when that particular poorly made or ill-fitting" shoe" is on his "foot." It's normal, and I feel it's ok, provided one also takes the time to compliment a job well done, as I do.

Has Wrongway never switched brands, stores, banks, attorneys or other provider of services when displeased or disappointed with the service or product he received? Perhaps not.

I don't know how many times or in how many different ways I can say this, but I honestly believe that (1) if a lower-priced model in the same series comes with a part integral to the operation of a commonly used product, the upscale model should as well, and (2) it is not at all unusual for brands to value their frequent and/or best customers, and should, as they tend to be more profitable over the long term. Asking for consideration, and indeed expecting a degree of acknowledgement is not a sin, at least as I see it, though Wrongway disagrees. But I'm ok with my position and with the fact that he sees things differently.

If I understand his latest post or response, the two different models have different wiring or connections or whatever that somehow prevents BMW from equipping the X35i with a Y-cable. I probably misread or misunderstood, as that makes no sense, and nobody had previously proposed that to me as a reason for the lack of provision of the cable in the first place. Again, I may have misunderstood.

At the risk of repetition, his belief that I expect BMW to provide me with a new cable or whatever each time a new product comes on the market was never my position. It was his and his alone, which I refuse to "own" despite his attempt to portray it as mine.

I must conclude that Wrongway has no credit cards or other memberships that provide various bonuses, increased levels of status, cash back, mileage, discounts or other benefits in kind for his patronage, because if he does, I'm sure he would be honorable enough to decline or return those considerations recognizing his status with those entities, and, if he elects to maintain them and attempts to enjoy them, would in no way be upset if someone with a lower membership status than his is given an upgrade or similar consideration when he is not.

If I am wrong in the above, I truly apologize and salute him. Only he knows the answer.

As to my analogy of the houses, Wrongway now suddenly decides that it is an improper one, after responding to it in the first place by creating a completely different set of facts and then responding to it (his) and then using that off-point analogy, composed of totally different facts, to prove his point. He thinks that my analogy is a poor one. I don't...especially when he responded with his own about a ten versus a three bedroom home.

I am unfamiliar with Wrongway's use of "tenements" as follows..."Frankly, I think I follow your tenements to the T." But I have room (get it?) to learn.

And it baffles me how he repeatedly changes the essence of what I have said. When I provided the analogy to BMW's rep about the TV set and the lack of a remote (the inference to any reasonable reader would be that the two were to go together), Wrongway again pulled the old switcheroo and changed it to my somehow expecting a store to provide me with a Vizio remote for the Samsung TV I purchased, in order to negate my analogy. Huh?

And I distinctly said that I do not expect BMW to provide me with a new connector or whatever to keep abreast of Apple's newest iPod releases...just one...with the car. Yet Wrongway again ignored what I clearly stated. It appears to me that he either distorts what I say or totally ignores it, both to shore up his position.

Now if I had bought four Mercedes vehicles and expected their dealer to provide me with free maintenance on my new one or equip it with (fill in the blank) because BMW does, I would be the first to agree with Wrongway, but that's not my issue, now is it? And for a part that costs them $10, marked up to $98? Whaaaa?

And, in my last response, I had apologized to any and all readers I might have offended, yet Wrongway again notes that I was wrong in how I addressed others (prior to him). Again, by taking me to task for my comments,it is clear that my fellow poster repeatedly ignores, misstates or distorts what I have said.

Let me just put it this way...Wrongway believes that my expectations are unreasonable, and I don't. Simple, polite, and to the point. No need to talk about entitlement, stomping of feet and tantrums, attention-seeking behavior, and so forth, ok? I'd really appreciate it, and will sincerely thank you for same.

Fritz Perls, the founder of the Gestalt school of psychotherapy said, and I may be slightly misquoting him, but the essence is, "I do my thing and you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine."

But, it's enough...really it is...and God bless...no more...ok?

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-04-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
So, your telling us that you will quit a certain car brand & bad mouth a dealer over a cheapo item that the Chinese make for $10? Seems to be a bit "thin-skinned" to me? You are not a car person as such but far to engrossed in the ipod thing...Maybe an i pod website would allow you a bit more latitude?
Seriously that's what you call an issue about a car???
Let's talk cars here!

I agree with him as it shows a systemic problem. Little problems are usually like tremors.

As I have said many times, part of purchasing a "Higher End" vehicle is also the customer service. One of the reasons I did not "Re Up" on a BMW was due to the poor customer service my dealer and BMWNA displayed on too many an occasion.

Wongway..you have way too much time on your hands, Lol.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

Wongway..you have way too much time on your hands, Lol.
Does keep life interesting though doesn't it?

If there's anything that I think we've learned in our past experiences with our E83 models, there's a truck ton of information that can be garnered now via "search" that we just didn't have access to in the past. From the E83's transmission programming quirks in the 07-10 models, to things like sunroof issues and the like.

I know simply from reading news reports, car makers are inundated with a host of recalls like Jeep's latest with airbags, Toyota has too many to count or list these days. BMW's had it's share as well with the High Pressure Fuel Pumps. I do recall people on the BMW forums harping over that fuel pump prior to the recall announcement.

Great thing about searching forums like these is that you learn to catch potential issues long before they can effect you sometimes. Take a Google search of Audi and Cam Follower as an example. (I wonder Evlengr, if you ever had an Audi with that problem in your past?) I'd imagine that your past history of vehicles has pretty much told you no car maker is without "quirks" you end up living with. Heck, a lot of the times, you can find and see all the potential issues with new models before jumping in with two feet with your own purchase.

I've dealt with my fair share of quirks in the past with vehicles. Heck, I've got an S550 right now that chews through tires in 8000 miles or less no matter which brand or model of tire I've thrown at it. 16,000 miles and it's on it's 4th set of tires now. From everything I've searched for, it's just something that I'll have to live with being such a heavy car. C'est la vie

As it were, reading, comprehension, research go a long way to figuring out the reason for a lot of things. I'm sure most people have figured this out a long time ago, or else these boards wouldn't be here in the first place.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
I don't know how many times or in how many different ways I can say this, but I honestly believe that (1) if a lower-priced model in the same series comes with a part integral to the operation of a commonly used product, the upscale model should as well, and (2) it is not at all unusual for brands to value their frequent and/or best customers, and should, as they tend to be more profitable over the long term. Asking for consideration, and indeed expecting a degree of acknowledgement is not a sin, at least as I see it, though Wrongway disagrees. But I'm ok with my position and with the fact that he sees things differently.
You know, the answer has been stated here, repeatedly, yet it still hasn't sunk in. So I'll try just one more time in black and white:
Your 35i, the pricier model, has two available connectors for an Apple product.
1) Standard USB port and
2) Smartphone Integration

Someone else's 28i does not have the Smartphone Integration package built in.

Because of the lack of this higher end feature that allows for a common Apple product (iPhone) to connect with the BMW, the 28i had to make do with the inclusion of the aforementioned Y-cable. (Well, the smartphone integration does happen to allow things like my Android phone to work with the BMW as well, but I digress)

X35i with Smartphone Integration allows for a wider variety of advanced electronics to connect.
X28i does not and makes do with lower tech connections and is equipped as such.





You know, I've had plenty of experiences with BMW's customer service or lack thereof in the past. I've used 3 different BMW dealers from one end of the state to the next. Overall, they do quite a bit to take care of their customers. Whether they've bought one car or ten. It would behoove them to do so since the customer that buys one today, might end up being a lifetime customer that buys 20.

Now, when things are directly attributable to BMW, I've had quite a bit of success in having them take care of it with no questions asked, and they've even gone over and above. Two situations come to mind.
1) Long out of warranty X3 seat heater burned a hole in the seat.
Not only did they replace the failed part, but they went over and above and replaced the entire seat with a loaner car to boot while they ordered the part(s) and fixed it. All on a vehicle that had over 100,000 miles on it.
2) After a routine oil change, about a quart of oil ended up on the floor of my garage.
Customer service, without knowing if it was their fault or mine, loaned me a GT 5 series, and sent me on my way with a $50 gas card and told me to call back Monday when their mechanics were back to work (it was 6:00PM on a Friday) Turns out, the mechanic failed to properly torque the oil filter. No charge for anything.

When it can't be ascertained whether or not it is a BMW fault, it is definitely like getting the run around (Anyone who has had problems with the 2007+ E83 Automatic transmission programming could probably attest to this)


Here's where I address Runon's point #2:
BMW can only cover so many models and iterations of the iPod. Your Apple product might not play nice with their BMW. Not their problem and could very well be yours. Not their responsibility to bend over backwards for what could be an out of date iPod that isn't fully supported. Get an iPhone. Or a newer iPod that plays nicer.
Apple != BMW's responsibility.
(For those not in the know, "!=" would be the equivalent of "Not equal to")

The fact that BMW (or any auto manufacturer for that matter) even includes available options for you to use another company's equipment in their vehicle (especially to utilize some of the more advanced features like MP3 tag display and wireless fast forwarding or rewinding) is a nod to customer service in and of itself.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

I read with interest and sincerely appreciate Wrongway's extremely civil and informative response, and sincerely thank him for it.

At the risk of repetition, and perhaps I'm just being dense despite Wrongway's attempts at explanation, I really don't understand why, if given the premise that wiring in the X35i differs from that in the X28i (which suggests that there is a connection point of some nature or structure), why no cable is supplied in the X35i that would fit/work with let's say an iPod, whether we're talking USB, smart phone, or whatever. They managed to figure it out for the X28i. Why not accommodate an iPhone for the X35i, and provide a cable for it? Or an Android-compatible cable for that matter? Let BMW choose. I would have no problem with that.

If BMW decided to support the iPhone and supplied a cable for it, and I have an Android-based phone, I certainly agree that I would have no reasonable issue or complaint, and please believe me when I tell you that I would not even ask, let alone demand or feel entitled to a free Android cable (assuming that I don't have an iPhone, which I do, by the way) because I'm me, or had purchased several BMWs in the past.

And, as Wrongway suggests, if Apple (or whatever manufacturer) markets a new model, I in no way think that I am owed a cable to match the new unit. I don't think I ever said that or took that position, because it would be wrong at best and idiotic at worst. Now that would really represent misguided entitlement (which is rapidly becoming one of my least favorite words...but I'll get over it).

I also find that I like certain colors, and they somehow invariably end up being unavailable on the model or in the series I'm shopping. It's just too bad for me. I lose. No complaint. The company is not obligated to meet my every need, so that I really don't think that I am a totally unreasonable person.

I don't demand anything. I don't expect BMW to give me a new cable each time a new iPod comes out, any more than I expect Nordstroms to give me a new tie because this season's ties are narrower or wider than last year's, or give me a new pair of pants for free just because my waist size changes. That's on me, not them.

I just disagree with BMW's decision-making process, is all, and if the BMW rep had been perhaps somewhat a bit more communicative and thereby able to explain things to me a bit better, I honestly believe that I wouldn't have been so annoyed. If she had even said, "I understand your frustration, but BMW has decided upon its course of action, and while I am not aware of what went into it, if you would like, I can provide you with an address to write further and would be happy to do so," that would have been something (though I thought that that was what I was doing by speaking with her).

It is my understanding that cables were provided for both models in 2011, and I believe (though I freely admit I don't know and may be totally incorrect) in 2013.

And all this so BMW can save $10? I do recognize that it would potentially cost many multiples of that number...I'm not unaware of that. But I think it would have been a good business decision for them...at least as to me.

And it is clear that Wrongway has received nothing less than superb support from BMW, no doubt at a cost of many thousands to them. I would be equally pleased, and would surely defend them, as he has, justifiably so, I would add. Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

So...by now, we have all said our piece, so let's at least agree on its homonym...peace. I am sure that we all have more important issues in our respective lives that can use our attention to a far better and more productive end.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-04-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
NoI4plz NoI4plz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stop stalking me!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,065
Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
So this thread is really confusing.

@ runon MD1, so doc (im guessing with the MD at the tail end of your Username) what exactly is the issue with your vehicle. does your ipod/iphone not interface properly with the system?

I raise this question, since I was reading a great post by Tim330i on the front page of the fest and I was wondering what exactly is the issue you have with the IDrive?

Heres the link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/66094...with-your-bmw/
__________________
BMW and Mercedes Build Beta Products!
Lexus build Release Candidate Products!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
At the risk of repetition, and perhaps I'm just being dense despite Wrongway's attempts at explanation, I really don't understand why, if given the premise that wiring in the X35i differs from that in the X28i (which suggests that there is a connection point of some nature or structure), why no cable is supplied in the X35i that would fit/work with let's say an iPod, whether we're talking USB, smart phone, or whatever. They managed to figure it out for the X28i. Why not accommodate an iPhone for the X35i, and provide a cable for it? Or an Android-compatible cable for that matter? Let BMW choose. I would have no problem with that.
Richard
Missed the above answers? (Wasn't even from me!)
The USB port is your connection to an iPod. Those are included with iPods when you buy them.

Why include a cable if the USB port should plug into a cable you already own?

Note, someone else other than I explained before I even posted that their iPod and it's cable work just fine in their X3.

Not to say it's a perfect solution. Hence why in your particular case, your equipment level also has Smartphone Integration. All of this is also assuming your iPod isn't defective! Maybe one of your pins is shorted and can't/won't carry the information needed by the vehicle!



Not to say I think BMW is perfect or always provides stellar service.

There are plenty of things I've never had satisfactorily taken care of. To this day, I still won't use the Panoramic Roof in my X3 since it was never fully fixed to my satisfaction and anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that my roof will eventually end up costing me a $3000+ repair.

Some things, if within the power of BMW or a dealership they'll take care of. Other things, they won't. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

My iPhone has not been tested in the X3 for music purposes yet, but I assume it will work fine (stay tuned). The Bluetooth function for making and receiving phone calls is working well, but that's a different topic.

My new iPod Nano (Version 7) works fine with the new pin adapter. My old iPod (Classic) never worked in my X3 with the standard USB connector/cable from my 2010 3-series, nor with a replacement standard non-Y connector at the dealership ("No device recognized"), but does with the Y connector.

I will look at the link kindly provided by the other poster, but still don't know why BMW doesn't provide a cable in the X35i for iPod users who may prefer to listen to music through that method rather than through an iPhone, even if that cable doesn't meet the needs of all.

And, as noted above, my old iPod worked fine in my 2010 car, and in my previous 2008 3-series (USB connectors in both). I really don't think it's a pin issue, but I'm far from an expert.

With all due respect to Wrongway, I don't think that his question as to why BMW should provide a cable if mine contains a USB port into which I can plug the connector I already own is valid or on point, as it "assumes facts not in evidence," as our legal brethren often say. Just how does BMW know that I own such a connector cable? Maybe I'm upgrading from a Yugo, and have been using an old hanger and aluminum foil for an antenna or in a vain attempt to play my iTunes.

And, again, something working in his or her BMW doesn't really affect me, as I see it.

I am probably missing something basic, and I both apologize and appreciate your collective patience with me in responding. I do understand the concept of a snap-in phone cradle, though.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-05-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
...
You are also incorrect in your rather odd assumption, based on nothing, that I somehow demand or expect that BMW match Apple's every new iteration, and must give me a new part each and every time it releases a new iPod or whatever. You and you alone have somehow decided that that is my position or expectation. Nope...sorry, Chuckles. It ain't.
Yet according to what you just said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
My iPhone has not been tested in the X3 for music purposes yet, but I assume it will work fine (stay tuned). The Bluetooth function for making and receiving phone calls is working well, but that's a different topic.

My new iPod Nano (Version 7) works fine with the new pin adapter. My old iPod (Classic) never worked in my X3 with the standard USB connector/cable from my 2010 3-series, nor with a replacement standard non-Y connector at the dealership ("No device recognized"), but does with the Y connector.
it seems you have 3 different Apple products, all with varying levels of connectivity. So you do see and know that differing Apple products have differing levels of compatibility?

I shudder to ask the question then;
And you expect BMW to provide a cable that allows for full support for all iterations that you bought? (Not counting all the other various models that have been released either prior to or after your particular models?)

The obvious and more probable answer is that BMW decided to support newer Apple products and dropped (or is unable to support) full compatibility for older Apple products.


And so with this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
With all due respect to Wrongway, I don't think that his question as to why BMW should provide a cable if mine contains a USB port into which I can plug the connector I already own is valid or on point, as it "assumes facts not in evidence," as our legal brethren often say. Just how does BMW know that I own such a connector cable? Maybe I'm upgrading from a Yugo, and have been using an old hanger and aluminum foil for an antenna or in a vain attempt to play my iTunes.
I'll ask the next question then;
(assuming it wasn't from a source like eBay or Craigslist)
Have you bought an iPod, that didn't come with a cable?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Please, Wrongway...we seem to be doing better, so let's try to keep it up. I will do my best, and know you will as well.

So, you responded:

I shudder to ask the question then;
And you expect BMW to provide a cable that allows for full support for all iterations that you bought? (Not counting all the other various models that have been released either prior to or after your particular models?)

The obvious and more probable answer is that BMW decided to support newer Apple products and dropped (or is unable to support) full compatibility for older Apple products.


In response to your first point, we have been over this many times...ad infinitum if not ad nauseum. I have repeatedly responded that I do not expect BMW to give me a cable each time Apple releases a new model or product.

In fact, in one of my more recent posts I said that that would be ridiculous, and would be like my expecting Nordstrom to give me a new tie each time ties narrowed or widened with the arrival of a new season (talk about "planned obsolescence!"), or a new pair of pants each time I gained or lost weight just because I had been a loyal customer....with shoes and a belt to match, no less. If I felt that way, I would totally agree with you. But I don't feel that way, and never did.

I think that that is what you see as my position. If I did think or feel that way, I would be on my ass as well! But it's not, and never was. Perhaps I was in error in coming across that way. If I did, I again apologize.

I would therefore ask that you trust me, so that you can, and I think you should stop suggesting that I think that BMW is somehow obligated to keep sending me "schwag" every time a new Apple or other product is released. As another example, I don't believe that it owes me new tires just because new BMWs were to suddenly be equipped with Michelins that last 80,000 miles (if only!).

That's why I really find it puzzling that you seem to fail to get it, as it were. Let me say it one last time...I do not...repeat...do not expect BMW to hook me up each time a new product appears. But, as long as I'm talking about "hooking up," (no...not that kind), if I go out on a fishing boat, for example, I expect that it will have an experienced and properly licensed captain, deckhands, fishing poles, life preservers, bait, enough fuel, proper navigation and communication equipment, etc., etc.

So...and you appear to disagree with me, which is fine, I still feel that BMW should supply a connector at least in or with cars equipped with the Premium Radio Package, BMW Apps or whatever equipment that is compatible with and require such.

Now it may elect to support Apple products. As I said, if I have an Android or other music player, I would be the first to admit that I was SOL. Too bad for me. But to provide none whatsoever in the X35i is where my problem with them lies.

I agree with you that BMW makes decisions to support some brands and not others, though I don't think that that is responsive to my point or the issue that I have raised.

To respond to your other point, my iPhone5 was purchased at a Verizon store, my Y-connector was purchased at my BMW dealership, and my iPod Nano and all my iPod and iPhone connectors and adapters were purchased at an Apple store. When it comes to products like that, I never, ever use eBay, Craigslist, etc.

Have a good one. And thanks.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-05-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
In response to your first point, we have been over this many times...ad infinitum if not ad nauseum. I have repeatedly responded that I do not expect BMW to give me a cable each time Apple releases a new model or product.
Good, no debate there. (I hope)



So here's maybe where you don't get it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
... I still feel that BMW should supply a connector at least in or with cars equipped with the Premium Radio Package, BMW Apps or whatever equipment that is compatible with and require such.
It's been stated here and alluded to many many times over and for some strange reason, you don't get it:
Your 35i DOES come with two available connections.
1) USB Port for the cable you already own via Apple
2) Smartphone Integration



You yourself have already stated and seen that you don't expect BMW to support all iterations of the iPod.
You have already seen through your three different Apple products that they;
a) Classic, Nano, iPhone have varying levels of connectivity and compatibility.
b) Can connect in various ways


NoI4plz has already detailed a link in his reply that details whether a particular configuration comes with certain cables or not based upon what equipment you order with a BMW.


Whether or not you have the cable Apple gave you with your Apple product is a straw man argument (if you want to play with your legal brethren speak). Your Nano, Classic, even iPhone all came with cables when you bought them. The sun rises. There is no need to present facts not in evidence because Apple already provides those cables and it's common knowledge.

It all boils down to this:
Your particular iPod is simply not 100% compatible with your X3 based on the equipment you got. Your more expensive X3 supports the newer and higher end Apple products. (your newer Nano, your iPhone)

The X28i in your comparison does not support the newer and higher end Apple products (iPhone, etc)
And so, BMW deemed it worthy of supporting the older and more outdated Apple products via included Y-cable.


Your higher and more expensive 35i also happens to support a broader range of products due to the two included connection options. With Smartphone Integration, it happens to support things like an Android phone for example. (probably not 100%, but that's beyond this scope)

The lesser equipped 28i in your example would not.


As it were, two levels of equipment support a differing set of entertainment options. Your 35i supports a broader range to some level or other. The 28i supports a slightly differing set with some possible overlap. No way for one to fully 100% support all.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Your Nano, Classic, even iPhone all came with cables when you bought them.

But these products from Apple did not come with car connectors. They did come with a USB cable. I purchased the appropriate adapter for the car...because BMW did not supply/provide such, which is my point, Wrongway.

In fairness, I will see what happens when I try my old connector with the new iPhone using the new pin configuration adapter. That should tell me much.

I think a cable should be provided in the X35i, though I agree that any adapter to meet my particular needs is my responsibility.

If Apple chooses to support "X," and my unit is "Y," it should be and is "on me."

But I think that it should supply a cable for one, concluding that most folks will be using Apple products, for example. As I stated previously, only a Y connector works in my car.

Thanks.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Wongway Wongway is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
But these products from Apple did not come with car connectors. They did come with a USB cable. I purchased the appropriate adapter for the car...because BMW did not supply/provide such, which is my point, Wrongway.
Remember when I said, your car has both a USB port and Smartphone Integration?

USB Port is in your car.
The USB cable that came with your Apple product goes there.

USB stands for "Universal Serial Bus"

So your USB cable IS the car connector.


So, as stated again your particular iPod Classic just isn't 100% compatible.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

Ok...

But what I don't get is why my old iPod worked using the USB port in my 2008 and 2010 cars and not via the same USB connection in the 2012. I don't remember if the previous cars had Y-ports or not. As you indicated, USB is universal, correct?

Perhaps the wiring in the X35i requires a Y-connector, and, for some reason, USB alone won't work, and the X28i doesn't. I just don't know.

As I said, I will try my new iPod in the new car using the standard cable alone. If I understand you correctly, it should work.

So, again, if we assume you're correct in that the iPod cable is the USB connector for my car, why does the X28i come with a Y-connector if it, too, has a USB port (assuming it does, but I don't know that)?

So, is it the case that the newer iPods don't require Y-connectors, just USB? And, if so, and you may have previously addressed this (probably several times), I apologize. I will try the experiment as noted above.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-06-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms