Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Problems with my A S S and other questions '13 328

Hey all,
I've had my '13 328 for almost a week now, Msport loaded in EBII, love the looks, have a few issues that I've searched but wanted feedback for.

ASS(Auto Start/Stop): I know a lot of people hate it, but I like it. . . .when it works. On my first tank of gas, i thought I'd milk it as much as possible to set a benchmark for miles/tankful expectations. 1/4 tank was freeway driving from Glendale to Carlsbad (thanx again Greg @ Pacific). For some reason, even though I didn't push the ASS putton, when I'd stop the car will not shut off, and I get the indicator with circle/slash ASS showing I've turned it off, although I've haven't, and the light on the ASS button is not illuminated. I guess I'll have to take it in to service to see whats up with this, as I've read there is a TIS to change the defaults on ASS, but I just want it work, consistently, especially in EcoPro mode. Oh yeah, and some times, when it does actually turn off, it'll turn back on after a minute or so, even though I didn't take my foot off the gas, is that normal?

BTW, I almost exclusively (for the first tank) been in Eco Pro mode. Seems when I shift to comfort or sport, the ASS works more frequently, but never consistently. Rather annoying, as in stop and go traffic, I'll actually hit the start/stop button when I sit there disappointed the car doesn't turn off. Of course, when the light turns green, I often forget I'm in park, and have to hurriedly put the slushbox in drive (I'm regretting my departure from 6MT quite a bit atm)

As for mileage, I'm pretty disappointed too. I know, no one really buys a BMW to save gas, but I honestly tried to just feather the throttle, and even coast on this first tank to eek out whatever mileage I could get. I know, everyone says it takes a few thousand miles to get really good mpg, but I made an effort, and for the first tank: 340 range, and 21.6 MPG. And this was in the tediously boring and underwhelming Eco Mode. bummer.
Hopefully it'll get better as it goes through "break in" process. Still love the car, but putting it in sport is where I love it most, as the mpg's plummet to single digits . . .

Cabin Noise:
Bummed and surprised to hear a bit more road noise than the E93, but whats really driving me nuts is a wind-whistling noise in the upper cabin area over 65 mph or so. At first I thought a window or sunroof was partially open, but nope, and its present every time I drive at speed. I know, easy solution is turn the radio up, but on a $50k car I expected better fit/finish. Not sure if there's a remedy for that niggle. Also, the driver side panel on the side of the dash was "hanging" off the other day, like it had never been properly fastened in the first place. I pushed it back into place, but was kinda discerning to see.

The trim pieces for the Msport are obviously subjective, but I really dislike the cheap/cheesey hexagonal metallic trim, and wished it came in the warmer, classy wood trim all my other BMW's had. Was not enough to make me forego the Msport for exterior looks and suspension, but its a constant reminder of the cheaper feeling of the F30.

Engine off, ACC stays on:
This is new to me as well. I really wanted Comfort Access(CA) as it was the only thing I didn't have on my E93, but when I hit the start/stop button, the engine stops, but the audio and lights remain on. Even after walking away from the car, if I don't hit the start/stop button twice, the radio will play for at least 5 minutes afterwards, unless I lock the doors. Thats not normal, is it?

Bluetooth and Streaming:
I dislike the fact that BMW took a marketing gamble and went with Iphone compatibility exclusively, rendering the space inside the console somewhat wasted for us with Android phones. I already got chastized once for asking about A2DP streaming, but it still doesn't work for me, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. I haven't tried to hook up through USB, but not even sure the phone will even fit in the space created specifically for the already-outdated iphone.

OK, I know that sounds all negative, but I'm really working hard to love this car as much as all my other BMW's. I've had various trims, from 7 series and 335's, but this is by far the "cheapest" car, in both quality and price (even though its over $50k) I can anticipate the responses being an eye roll and maybe some advice about buying a Prius or a cadillac, but just wanted to express my initial impressions for those on the fence. I still am a fan of BMW, and still love this car, but I need to get these issues worked out.

thanx for any thoughts or comments,
Joel
Advertisement