Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 540i 6spd
drunk headlight

I recently picked up an '06 M5. Sometimes the passenger side headlight will point down, sometimes it is level with the drivers side. Is there a sensor? Can it be cleaned? Need to be replaced, and where is it? Or, can the self leveling system be disabled? Any help is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Probably a stripped adjuster. Not sure what's in the E60 but in the E39 they're plastic and they eat themselves frequently. My left one is broken but it's aimed properly so it's not really an issue.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM

I had an 02 540i M sport for 3 years before I got this M5, and yes sir, did replace the adjusters on it. But this car, the lights are aimed perfectly, then one morning I start it and the pass side is pointed down, not very often but it happens. Then later, I start it again, and it's level. Would love to find out if there is a way to disconnect the self leveling system.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: IB E60 M5, MW F30 328XI
I have an 07 M5 and when I bought the car I noticed the driver side headlight and halo's were rather dim. I put new led bulbs in the halo's and noticed the original halo bulb bowls were burnt. I could not figure out why this happened, just figured it was crappy bowls. Then I received a parking lamp malfunction in I drive. I pulled the headlight again, and to my horror, I noticed all of the wiring inside of the headlight was extremely brittle and exposed (possibly from years of condensation). Some of the wire insulation literally crumbled to the touch. Even the fiberoptic cables for the halo's were completely exposed. I would check that. I literally took liquid electrical tape to everything and problem solved, headlight is back to original output and no more errors. If your adjusters are fine check the wiring as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM

I have had my pass side headlight out 5 times now, getting to be a pro. There is a little motor, leveling motor I guess, BMW wanted $240 for this thing. Found one on ebay, $13. I have spent that much on worse items, so I gave it a try. $13 item, fixed it, I am not usually that lucky. I did look at all wires as well, all was good there