Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Netflix, Hulu and Bunny Ears here.

If Amazon gets better, I may cancel one of them and sign up. But for now, Amazon is meh. Agreed with Bee on the user interface.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
+1

Griffoun, if your emphisis is childrens programming, then you want Netflix (if you must pick one) but seriouly.. for $14~$15 bucks a month, I take them both. Netflix is easy tp watch when I am on the go via tablet, computer or phone.

If there is a movie I really want to watch (only happened 2 times in the last 1.5 years) I'd pick'em up at RedBox.
Agree with you here after some more research, most of the Disney's material isn't available either on AMZN nor NFLX, but NFLX does have what most libraries already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
If you're just wondering about how difficult it's going to be to fish wire from up there, and that you don't have any conduit already in the walls, etc, maybe just try an antenna from down there?
I currently have a DISH Duo ViP® 222k. The signal goes to the receiver which is in the basement, and my TV there gets the HD; then another connection goes to the first floor which doesn't have HD but able to access all channels. I also checked the splitter in the basement and saw the DISH installation guy bridging some existing cables together... what's more, I can get pretty good OTA signal on first floor where the TV is located, so I think my setup could happen without fishing, it's really to figure out which cable goes where and how to test the signal. Any suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Netflix, Hulu and Bunny Ears here.

If Amazon gets better, I may cancel one of them and sign up. But for now, Amazon is meh. Agreed with Bee on the user interface.
I thought AMZN's EPIX deal would tip the scale in favor of AMZN, guess still not good enough?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post

I thought AMZN's EPIX deal would tip the scale in favor of AMZN, guess still not good enough?

Nah... AMZN isn't in the same league as Netflix. If all you have is $8 bucks to spare and you must pick one, clearly it will be Netflix.

Fortunate for me, I make my own Starbucks in the morning and I can afford the extra $7 bucks
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Agreed - Amazon's current selection is pretty limited. Amazon did just sign Epix to get more stuff. But Prime's huge advantage is for the 2 day shipping.

BTW, Netflix is digging into digging into Nick's ratings supposedly. My son loves that he can watch Wallace & Gromit, Pinky Dinky Doo, etc via the Rokus in our house. I'll take that any day as a treat for him over letting him near real TV (and awful commercials).
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
I currently have a DISH Duo ViP® 222k. The signal goes to the receiver which is in the basement, and my TV there gets the HD; then another connection goes to the first floor which doesn't have HD but able to access all channels. I also checked the splitter in the basement and saw the DISH installation guy bridging some existing cables together... what's more, I can get pretty good OTA signal on first floor where the TV is located, so I think my setup could happen without fishing, it's really to figure out which cable goes where and how to test the signal. Any suggestion?
I'm so not the guy to ask, I'm sorry. I've never had sat, and I really don't know what's going on over there for wire mgmt, not that it matters. Locate the OTA feed, use a splitter, run secondary OTA feed? I'm just blurting out loud, please don't mind me. Maybe you're saying you don't know which feed is the OTA feed, but can't you trace it back from the TV, visually or otherwise? I should already have shut up, and I expect to be less available on these boards for the next week or so (not that it matters).

Maybe use a cable tester? I'd get feedback from those with more experience with your situation before spending on anything. My related experience is limited to one single experience with a multimeter, I think I was testing a passive xover during a speaker repair, and nothing else, never once on a car, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Good information here. Thanks. I'll keep it for future use.
You're welcome. Not that I wasn't already steering you away from my choice, but I forgot to mention you can have at least three quick-access favorite lists (don't remember if there is an ability to name these), and I don't know of a limit of channels per list (my first has a nice handful). The programming info isn't available like a "guide" as it of course would be with sat/cable. It shows only on the tuned channel, and IIRC, only for the present half hour block, and the next. A trait this is unique to this device out of my few sources is the option for instant subtitling when hitting mute (if subtitle info is available from the source to begin with).
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
This may be what you're looking for:

I am pretty sure this is the way Dish had mine hooked up. IIRC, my 722 actually used a single triplexer that took the place of separate diplexer and separator at the tuner. Mine was a bit less straight forward since every RG6 is a homerun to a wiring closet, but the circuit is the same. The key for you will be to find where the satellite comes in from outside. If the satellite comes downstairs, terminates in the left-most diplexer, and then runs upstairs to the non HD TV, you should be good for cable runs.

If the satellite terminates into a diplexer in some third space- like on the outside of your house- then your two TV's are connected by a cable that doesn't run directly between the two TV's. This will complicate your initiative.

It can be confusing when you're looking at splitters because you might be seeing the duplex one- a Diplexer- or the separator plus- which is really just a one way split of incoming satellite signal. The tri-plexer works the same way, it's just one unit. The key to getting your head wrapped around this is understanding that the RG6 cable between diplexers has bandwidth to send data in both directions-up and down, to and fro. Said another way, multiple, physical, one way (up.down-to.fro) links are not necessary directly between 222k receiver and the 2nd TV. The signal leaves the 222k, hits the diplexer, and finds it's way back upstairs alongside the incoming satellite signal.

The 722k I used has a slot in the back for an OTA tuner module. I actually still have a module (and a 722k) that I am not using. The OTA tuner allows for any connected TV to use OTA channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backfeed.png
Views:	1226
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	340681  
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
This may be what you're looking for:

I am pretty sure this is the way Dish had mine hooked up. IIRC, my 722 actually used a single triplexer that took the place of separate diplexer and separator at the tuner. Mine was a bit less straight forward since every RG6 is a homerun to a wiring closet, but the circuit is the same. The key for you will be to find where the satellite comes in from outside. If the satellite comes downstairs, terminates in the left-most diplexer, and then runs upstairs to the non HD TV, you should be good for cable runs.

If the satellite terminates into a diplexer in some third space- like on the outside of your house- then your two TV's are connected by a cable that doesn't run directly between the two TV's. This will complicate your initiative.

It can be confusing when you're looking at splitters because you might be seeing the duplex one- a Diplexer- or the separator plus- which is really just a one way split of incoming satellite signal. The tri-plexer works the same way, it's just one unit. The key to getting your head wrapped around this is understanding that the RG6 cable between diplexers has bandwidth to send data in both directions-up and down, to and fro. Said another way, multiple, physical, one way (up.down-to.fro) links are not necessary directly between 222k receiver and the 2nd TV. The signal leaves the 222k, hits the diplexer, and finds it's way back upstairs alongside the incoming satellite signal.

The 722k I used has a slot in the back for an OTA tuner module. I actually still have a module (and a 722k) that I am not using. The OTA tuner allows for any connected TV to use OTA channels.
Oh my dear lord.

You've just reminded me that the DISH guy did some drilling on the exterior wall, maybe I should take a pic of the "device" on the outside wall. I don't see nor recall anything else inside except for the 222k.

How about you stop by my house after work and I'll buy you dinner? KS isn't that far away really...

Edited: Oh wait, maybe I've seen the separator as well...

So let's say the 222 no longer exist and I only have OTA antenna. How would you wire the setup?

Last edited by Griffoun; 09-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
So let's say the 222 no longer exist and I only have OTA antenna. How would you wire the setup?
I am 100% serious when I say that my OTA antenna is rabbit ears from the good ole days. Nothing powered, no Spaceship Enterprise looking thing, and no cancer creator humming away up in my attic. I get (or I did when I used it, so 'got'.. I guess) signal just fine. If I needed OTA on another TV, I would just throw another $20 coat hanger up and see what that got me.

But that's me. I get (got) acceptable signal for as much TV as I watch. (not a lot)

If I was to do it up right and perm skillz, I would get me one of those gargantuan attic antennas then split the bad boy up. You should be OK with a regular splitter as they usually handle up to ab 900Mhz. The highest OTA channel is like ~804Mhz, so it should work. You may get into trouble with the splitter and need an amp. That takes electrical power. Something to keep in mind.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I am 100% serious when I say that my OTA antenna is rabbit ears from the good ole days. Nothing powered, no Spaceship Enterprise looking thing, and no cancer creator humming away up in my attic. I get (or I did when I used it, so 'got'.. I guess) signal just fine. If I needed OTA on another TV, I would just throw another $20 coat hanger up and see what that got me.

But that's me. I get (got) acceptable signal for as much TV as I watch. (not a lot)

If I was to do it up right and perm skillz, I would get me one of those gargantuan attic antennas then split the bad boy up. You should be OK with a regular splitter as they usually handle up to ab 900Mhz. The highest OTA channel is like ~804Mhz, so it should work. You may get into trouble with the splitter and need an amp. That takes electrical power. Something to keep in mind.
I meant to ask how to hook up one OTA (this is the one I have) which is on the first floor, with the TV on the first floor and in basement giving the current wiring situation? Using the same picture you've attached above, take away the 222 receiver and the dish, the rest remain intact.

No doubt about you saying the OTA working just fine because mine also works perfectly even though it's not in the attic.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
I meant to ask how to hook up one OTA (this is the one I have) which is on the first floor, with the TV on the first floor and in basement giving the current wiring situation? Using the same picture you've attached above, take away the 222 receiver and the dish, the rest remain intact.
Well, that's still the million $ question isn't it? Wherefore dost (doest?) the RG6/coax cable from downstairs end up? You could (maybe) find that endpoint, throw an antenna on it and see what you get downstairs.

I started this post and then something happened. New thread coming.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Mine, some cons: 1) does what I need it to, except I haven't been able to pull in (I should say "find", at all, nada) ABC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Good information here. Thanks. I'll keep it for future use.
MW, regarding my OTA tuner, I just fiddled with my antenna because I had the ladder out (was changing HVAC filters, and doing some maintenance on my display/PJ), and this time I used a compass (last time I did it by estimation, bit of trial and error too, and I was off by +10 deg compared to TV Fool's info). I noticed CBS had dropped out, wondering if my fiddling somehow did that, so I ran another auto-scan just to see, and the very first channel I picked up was ABC! But still no CBS . I guess I have to wait for the station to come back on line, then run another scan to get all the above. I just wanted to follow up on this for you. Oh, the fav lists are nameable after all.

I'm still waiting to see which providers are going to pick up TWC and if they will charge more for it, and if so by how much. I'm not up to date on this, just a personal desire.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Guess what...

Quote:
Shares of Netflix (NFLX) are up $7.06, or over 9%, at $83.06, after the company this afternoon announced a deal with Walt Disney (DIS) lasting over multiple years that will make Netflix the exclusive distributor as a U.S. subscription television service in the "first window" of live-action and animated feature films Disney.

Netflix said the agreement starts with the 2016 theatrical releases by Disney's various properties, including Pixar, Marvel, and Disney Animation Studios.

The deal will also include a catalog deal that will bring classics such as "Dumbo" and "Alice in Wonderland" to Netflix subs, the company said.
All of the sudden, NFLX has become very attractive to me (read "my kids")...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
I started this post and then something happened. New thread coming.
Wow. That was the morning of the home invasion. Almost 90 days ago.

Grif? Did you ever solve the question of the day?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Bo-ma-win!

NFLX just knocked the cover off the ball w/ this Towering Home RUN!!

One thing fur sure... never bet against a competent manager like Reed Hasting..

DAMN!!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
Guess what...

All of the sudden, NFLX has become very attractive to me (read "my kids")...
Makes me happy.

Now they need to renew A&E
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
They did well with this deal, but after watching what happened with the Qwikster debacle my confidence in their competency is definitely shaken.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Wow. That was the morning of the home invasion. Almost 90 days ago.

Grif? Did you ever solve the question of the day?
I haven't gotten the chance to check if I have access to cable box yet... that's the first question that needs to be answered.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
NFLX just knocked the cover off the ball w/ this Towering Home RUN!!

One thing fur sure... never bet against a competent manager like Reed Hasting..

DAMN!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
They did well with this deal, but after watching what happened with the Qwikster debacle my confidence in their competency is definitely shaken.
It's definitely a good news for NFLX as a company and subscribers but the stock's reaction today is more of a squeeze and break-out from a narrowing trading range.

Last edited by Griffoun; 12-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
I have a question for you guys

How many hours a day or a week do you guys spend watching tv?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota MR2 Turbo
Netflix has too much market share already to decline any time soon... Hulu etc. may be trying to chip away at them, but I don't see it happening. Netflix will become outdated when and if a competitor offers superior selection and service at better prices.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Netflix has too much market share already to decline any time soon... Hulu etc. may be trying to chip away at them, but I don't see it happening. Netflix will become outdated when and if a competitor offers superior selection and service at better prices.
LOL!! I am sure that is the case with Amazon and Walmart.. that they will be outdated when someone comes along w/ "better selection" and "Better Prices"...

Haha!! Dude!! You are a Geniues!!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
I have a question for you guys

How many hours a day or a week do you guys spend watching tv?
60 mins.. mostly news program..
Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:

Football counts.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
That's fair
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:

Football counts.
Pardon me.. 14 weeks a year I watch College Football on saturdays for 15 hours.