Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
June 2010

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: S430
I got my USB stick and code from TomTom/BMW. It took almost two weeks.
I inserted the USB in the glove box and it asked for the code. I entered it and it said code incorrect. So I though maybe the o was a 0 (zero) still an error. Then I thought maybe I was 1(one) still an error. I tried every other combination of these to no avail.
I called TomTom/BMW but customer support knew nothing. They are supposed to have someone call me.
This could turn out to be a cluster F---. They will be hesitant to give me my money back because I have opened the package. So I end up out $250 and have no new navigation.

Maybe I should have ordered from a dealer. Then if I have a problem there is help. And if the code doesn't work they can see I don't have the new nav software installed on my car and perhaps give me a refund.

After this problem maybe I shouldn't upgrade at all. I have a a Telenav Scout app on my iPhone 5 that is the best Nav software I have ever seen. It has traffic data for local streets not just interstates. However this does not show in my HUD like the BMW nav and that makes it extremely easy to follow.
I will see if TomTom/BMW can solve the problem. Here is place I bought map and code.
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com
CC
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Brown View Post
I got my USB stick and code from TomTom/BMW. It took almost two weeks.
I inserted the USB in the glove box and it asked for the code. I entered it and it said code incorrect. So I though maybe the o was a 0 (zero) still an error. Then I thought maybe I was 1(one) still an error. I tried every other combination of these to no avail.
I called TomTom/BMW but customer support knew nothing. They are supposed to have someone call me.
This could turn out to be a cluster F---. They will be hesitant to give me my money back because I have opened the package. So I end up out $250 and have no new navigation.

Maybe I should have ordered from a dealer. Then if I have a problem there is help. And if the code doesn't work they can see I don't have the new nav software installed on my car and perhaps give me a refund.

After this problem maybe I shouldn't upgrade at all. I have a a Telenav Scout app on my iPhone 5 that is the best Nav software I have ever seen. It has traffic data for local streets not just interstates. However this does not show in my HUD like the BMW nav and that makes it extremely easy to follow.
I will see if TomTom/BMW can solve the problem. Here is place I bought map and code.
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com
CC
What car is this for, and what is the build date?

Do you have ENET Cable?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-04-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
They may have entered your VIN wrong. Part of the process for getting the unlock code is for the software seller to enter the VIN correctly. BMW generates the unlock code that is unique for each VIN. I paid a few bucks more in getting this my local dealer but it was quick and painless. I got my BMW Car Club of America discount so I got a reasonable discount.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM

This code is for a 2010 535i GT built 08/10.
I did this upgrade last year and the only problem was I could not tell an O from a 0-zero. Once I figured that out no problems.

I have concluded they put in the vin incorrectly. However we will see if BMW/TomTom gets back to me.
CC
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM

I do not have an enet cable. What could that do for me? I did have my car programmed by a guy here in Atlanta to have the mirrors close when locking plus a couple other things. I hope that didn't screw things up.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Brown View Post
I do not have an enet cable. What could that do for me? I did have my car programmed by a guy here in Atlanta to have the mirrors close when locking plus a couple other things. I hope that didn't screw things up.
No, nothing like that. If you had an ENET Cable, and could connect to your car, I could help you with your problem, but if you can not connect to your car, I can't do anything.

Maybe they did mess up the VIN on your order, so if that is the case, they should be able to get you a new FSC Code for your VIN.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Thank you for offering assistance. TomTom called plus answered my e-mail. This is a new venture for them and I am one of the first ones to get the product. All of the first ones have had the same problem so it sounds like the codes being generated are incorrect. They are meeting with BMW today to resolve the issue. I am confident it will get resolved quickly or else they have no business and the new folks have no jobs.
CC
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Done:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Or you could by the same USB Media version without the FSC Code only for $42, and an FSC Code from "The FSC Code Man" for $50, and be done for under $100.
Just finished my budget upgrade in about 1 hour from the Tischer USB stick. No problems.

2012 535i
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks13 View Post
Just finished my budget upgrade in about 1 hour from the Tischer USB stick. No problems.
It's getting even cheaper now as you can download the Map Image online for free, so you need only buy the FSC code itself.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535iGT
Quote:
It's getting even cheaper now as you can download the Map Image online for free, so you need only buy the FSC code itself.
From where can you get the maps for free? Is is legitimate or bit torrent, etc.

Former BMW's:
2010 BMW X5 xDrive 48i / 2005 BMW X5 30i / 2003 BMW 745Li
2001 BMW X5 30i / 1995 BMW 525i
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F1 View Post
From where can you get the maps for free? Is is legitimate or bit torrent, etc.
The Nav Map software, sold by BMW without an FSC Code, is essentially free. BMW sold the DVD media version last year for only $11 and this year they sell the USB media version for only $42. All you are paying for is the cost of the media itself, i.e. the cost of three DVD Roms or the cost of one 32 GB thumb drive. What they actually sell for profit is the FSC Code, i.e. software license. So, what is out there available for download without an FSC Code in Digital media format from file hosting sites, FTP sites, or as a Torrent costs nothing as it has no actual media related costs. After downloading though, if you want to obtain an FSC Code and use the software, you can choose to buy a legitimate FSC Code from your Dealer, or buy one from "The FSC Code Man".

Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535iGT
Quote:
The Nav Map software, sold by BMW without an FSC Code, is essentially free. BMW sold the DVD media version last year for only $11 and this year they sell the USB media version for only $42. All you are paying for is the cost of the media itself, i.e. the cost of three DVD Roms or the cost of one 32 GB thumb drive. What they actually sell for profit is the FSC Code, i.e. software license. So, what is out there available for download without an FSC Code in Digital media format from file hosting sites, FTP sites, or as a Torrent costs nothing as it has no actual media related costs. After downloading though, if you want to obtain an FSC Code and use the software, you can choose to buy a legitimate FSC Code from your Dealer, or buy one from "The FSC Code Man".
I see what you mean. I thought BMW was now providing a sanctioned way to get the map data downloaded for free. I know the FSC code is, of course, separate and not free.

Former BMW's:
2010 BMW X5 xDrive 48i / 2005 BMW X5 30i / 2003 BMW 745Li
2001 BMW X5 30i / 1995 BMW 525i
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F1 View Post
I see what you mean. I thought BMW was now providing a sanctioned way to get the map data downloaded for free. I know the FSC code is, of course, separate and not free.
Unfortunately, not. BMW offers no digital media download option.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
BimmerLover

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
WOOHOO...Successfully upgraded maps in my F10 for just $50 inclusive of maps and FSC code thanks to our European friend and shawnsheridan who was very patient with me

No noticeable difference that I could tell, but I will try a route this evening and see if it still takes me through those roads that are closed

Glad I didn't spend $250+

Current: 2012 528xi. Delivery date 03/13/2012.
Dark Graphite Metallic / Oyster-Black interior. Cold Weather / Premium / Technology pkg. BMW Apps. Rear fold down seats.

Prior: 2005 530i. Cold weather/Premium Pkg
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM

BMW/TomTom sent the correct code for the map update today. It took about 55 minutes to complete the entire process. Much faster than last year with the CD's. I did pay $250 and not $100 but I am uneasy about someone running a bootleg business and stealing real Companies monies. I put myself and the other side of these transaction and ask would I want people doing that to me. Just my 2 cents.
CC
Old 12-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Three things I have noticed about the new maps.
1. I like the new arrangements of POI. It seems better organized to me plus I found some new places
2. When I looked at traffic it had some local streets listed now. Before I only saw interstate highways.
3. A map error close to me still has the error. I decide to report it and maybe next year it will be fixed.
CC
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
BimmerLover

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Cc. How do u report errors?

Current: 2012 528xi. Delivery date 03/13/2012.
Dark Graphite Metallic / Oyster-Black interior. Cold Weather / Premium / Technology pkg. BMW Apps. Rear fold down seats.

Prior: 2005 530i. Cold weather/Premium Pkg
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: bmw535xi
The question I have is about the maps. Is the routing better?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Maps are data; they don't contain any logic. If the map update includes new streets that allow the logic in the nav system (firmware) to make better routing choices, the the routing will be better. In this case the system has more information to work with. But a map update won't change the ways that the system makes it routing decisions.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Maps are data; they don't contain any logic. If the map update includes new streets that allow the logic in the nav system (firmware) to make better routing choices, the the routing will be better. In this case the system has more information to work with. But a map update won't change the ways that the system makes it routing decisions.
Not correct.

The map data also indicates possible routes, two ways vs. one ways, average speeds, and data for which way is faster, etc.

So yes, the map data can have an effect on routing.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM

http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/

This is where I bought my maps and FSC code. It is a TomTom company authorize by BMW. On that web page is a place to submit map changes.

Close to my house there is an intersection that the maps must indicate no left turn. So it wants to take me through the intersection and do a turn around and come back and make a right turn.
I submitted a change thru this site. I got a confirmation that they had received and two days later the a change had been made.

In answer to some others questions this maps error caused incorrect routing!

Unforetunely we will not see that change on our maps for another year.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
I got an email today from Tom Tom, offering me the 2013 nav update for $245 on USB. From what I heard this is the new normal.

It's still more than the Lexus update which is $169.00...still too much.
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Fastman

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Bmwnav.net... I ain't too proud to beg for $49.95...
Black matte grill
M5 spoiler
K&N filter
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
Bmwnav.net... I ain't too proud to beg for $49.95...
They offer only CCC DVD based software, not CIC Hard Drive software.

So, for those with CIC, it's:

1) Pay $250 to BMW / Tom Tom,
2) Use fscmap.com
3) Download it for free, and see "The FSC Code Man" for $50.

2 and 3 though are basically one in the same though.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-08-2012 at 01:15 PM.