Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i M Sport Mperf
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I'm in the same situation, been to the dealer twice already for the same condition. The only thing they can do is hook it up to a computer and verify there are no codes. I tried going through BMW customer relations to get the Regional rep involved in diagnosing the issue. After almost two weeks of communication I was denied that request because the only way to get help from a regional rep is if the dealer is asking for it.

The car is definitely running rich, it's obvious. How can they deny there is any issue just because it's not throwing codes and adaptations are within range.

Right now the car is at a third dealer for the third time, for that and a transmission issue it developed. I might have to pick it up before they get a chance to do all possible testing because I will be traveling out of the country, but I really hope I don't have to take it in for the forth time for them to at least diagnose it.

Going to an Indy shop might just be the ticket.
Thanks again for all of your help over the last few weeks. At least I know we have many commonalities and it isnt just me going crazy. I will copy and paste what I wrote to you int he other thread here:
ps- dont forget to keep me posted on your updates. I am in the same boat as you. Its like people and techs dont want to believe us. Crazy. Its too much of a coincidence that we are M Performance Package owners with builds a month or so apart with the same exact problem. Carbon Deposits, Rich Fuel Exhaust Odor coming into cabin, horrible gas mileage below 10. Yet the people without performance pack are getting normal MPG between 14 and 20
Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I think that your nearly exclusive "in city" driving is impacting your individual results. You have to realize that BMW did NOT run the fuel performance measurements using the sport/non-auto option. Rather, any comparisons should be based on keeping the car in AUTO 100% of the time. Any time you change it to the manual shift alternative, you can basically kiss 2-5MPG in fuel economy away.

In order to get an idea of what your truck will actually do you may want to figure out a way to take it on a road trip for 50% of the tank and drive around town (conservatively) for the other half of the tank. Perhaps a nice EASY cruise to the mountains with a bit of piddling around the small towns shopping for do-dads that can fit in the back of the X5 would do you good. Then come back and let us know how it goes. I think that 12 to 13.5 are about as good as ANYONE gets with those for in city driving. Highway.. you will be lucky to get the top of 21MPG advertised. The 24MPG you are seeing is likely a periodic anomaly. My Diesel goes to 50MPG for long periods of time on the highway but I don't expect to see anywhere near that result in reality. 26MPG would be GREAT for my '12 X5 Diesel IMHO for a long highway run
Hey man. I really appreciate that great response from you. In all honesty, you kinda made me feel a little less paranoid here. LOL If what you are saying is true and most 50i owners are only getting 12 to 13.5 MPG in pure city driving than I will chalk it up to my driving style. But so far I have only heard of 3 people on the board with 50i's getting such low mileage and below 12, me, z51vette, and one other gentlemans wifes car. I would say 75% of the other 50i owners on bimmerfest seem to be getting 15 to 17.5 MPG or so with mostly city, which is more what I was expecting with this car.

Another clarification I want to make. I see that you put in quotes "drive in sport mode". I just want to clarify that you misread what I had initially stated. I NEVER drive in sport mode, with the exception of 2 or 3 , 20 to 80mph spirited blasts to enjoy the car per tankful. After the 10 seconds of fun I immediately put the car back in D full Auto mode. That means I do drive the car 99.9% in D all the time. Just wanted to clarify that. I wish I had a video to show you, but I drive 35 miles to work on the expressway every morning and night, the night time is more city stop and go, and the morning is usually more highway (some traffic, COMBINED mileage of stop and go + highway) type of driving. I think I will use my iphone and record the entire 40 minute morning drive. If I have a full tank of gas in my car and drive 35 miles on the highway you can see my needle drop almost a full quarter tank by the time I get to my job. I know you cant tell me thats normal right? lol The first time I noticed this was when I took it home from the dealer in Westbury , NY about the same mileage 30 miles from my house. The tank was full, I actually watched the needle go down as I was driivng home in some traffic on the highway. It was terrible. Z51 vette knows what I am talking about. On my initial drive home from the dealer I chalked it up to maybe the dealer didnt fill my tank up all the way. So, on my next fill up the car produced the same type of MPG on the same return trip to work. I hope that gives you some more information on what type of driving I do. It is almost 100% D, especially the last 2 fill ups I have never put it in sport, AT ALL and have driven ultra conservatively. Still getting horrible MPG.

But...... And here comes the but, again. If you are telling me it is normal to have 12MPG figures with my type of driving than I will go grab a cup of coffee, relax, and never worry about this again.

Last edited by doms50msport; 12-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doms50msport View Post
Hey man. I really appreciate that great response from you. In all honesty, you kinda made me feel a little less paranoid here. LOL If what you are saying is true and most 50i owners are only getting 12 to 13.5 MPG in pure city driving than I will chalk it up to my driving style. But so far I have only heard of 3 people on the board with 50i's getting such low mileage and below 12, me, z51vette, and one other gentlemans wifes car. I would say 75% of the other 50i owners on bimmerfest seem to be getting 15 to 17.5 MPG or so with mostly city, which is more what I was expecting with this car.

Another clarification I want to make. I see that you put in quotes "drive in sport mode". I just want to clarify that you misread what I had initially stated. I NEVER drive in sport mode, with the exception of 2 or 3 , 20 to 80mph spirited blasts to enjoy the car per tankful. After the 10 seconds of fun I immediately put the car back in D full Auto mode. That means I do drive the car 99.9% in D all the time. Just wanted to clarify that. I wish I had a video to show you, but I drive 35 miles to work on the expressway every morning and night, the night time is more city stop and go, and the morning is usually more highway (some traffic, COMBINED mileage of stop and go + highway) type of driving. I think I will use my iphone and record the entire 40 minute morning drive. If I have a full tank of gas in my car and drive 35 miles on the highway you can see my needle drop almost a full quarter tank by the time I get to my job. I know you cant tell me thats normal right? lol The first time I noticed this was when I took it home from the dealer in Westbury , NY about the same mileage 30 miles from my house. The tank was full, I actually watched the needle go down as I was driivng home in some traffic on the highway. It was terrible. Z51 vette knows what I am talking about. On my initial drive home from the dealer I chalked it up to maybe the dealer didnt fill my tank up all the way. So, on my next fill up the car produced the same type of MPG on the same return trip to work. I hope that gives you some more information on what type of driving I do. It is almost 100% D, especially the last 2 fill ups I have never put it in sport, AT ALL and have driven ultra conservatively. Still getting horrible MPG.

But...... And here comes the but, again. If you are telling me it is normal to have 12MPG figures with my type of driving than I will go grab a cup of coffee, relax, and never worry about this again.
wow....I am finally picking up my new 50i tomorrow from the dealer. I wonder what my mpg will be like. I will be watching and let you guys know.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittbid View Post
wow....I am finally picking up my new 50i tomorrow from the dealer. I wonder what my mpg will be like. I will be watching and let you guys know.
Are you getting the M Sport with M Performance Package upgrade for 40hp? It seems the PP extra 40hp ECU tuning may be running rich and burning too much fuel on some of our cars. If not, I think you will be absolutely fine!
Congrats on the car!

ps- on your car, I am speaking hypothetically based on myself and Z51vettes 2013 X5 Performance pack problems.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Are you getting the M Sport with M Performance Package upgrade for 40hp? It seems the PP extra 40hp ECU tuning may be running rich and burning too much fuel on some of our cars. If not, I think you will be absolutely fine!
Congrats on the car!

ps- on your car, I am speaking hypothetically based on myself and Z51vettes 2013 X5 Performance pack problems.
I did get the M SPort with M Performance but I will make sure about the M Performance tomorrow when I pick it up.

Thanks, mine has taken so looooooooooooooooooooong to build (I ordered on 10/02 but the dealer did not have any slots until Week 46) so I am really excited to finally get it!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Hey man. I really appreciate that great response from you. In all honesty, you kinda made me feel a little less paranoid here. LOL If what you are saying is true and most 50i owners are only getting 12 to 13.5 MPG in pure city driving than I will chalk it up to my driving style. ...Another clarification I want to make. I see that you put in quotes "drive in sport mode". I just want to clarify that you misread what I had initially stated. I NEVER drive in sport mode, with the exception of 2 or 3 , 20 to 80mph spirited blasts to enjoy the car per tankful. After the 10 seconds of fun I immediately put the car back in D full Auto mode.... But, If you are telling me it is normal to have 12MPG figures with my type of driving than I will go grab a cup of coffee, relax, and never worry about this again.
Thanks for the clarification. Your expectations were probably based on a "combined fuel economy" but you drive mostly city only so you are (logically) experiencing lower than combined average fuel economy whereas others here may be driving up to 50% highway which may explain why theirs are SO much higher than yours. . If you look at the CITY MPG window sticker that came with your X5, they will show a range for that vehicle. Since most of your driving is City, you may want to see just how low the sticker shows for your city ratings and see where you fall along that range. As long as your results are in that range, the car manufacturer's (unfortunately) really don't HAVE to address any complaints. I learned that lesson the hard way when we bought a '06 Highlander Hybrid that was "RATED" for 31MPG highway but nobody and I mean NOBODY was able to get that out of them at the time. Turned out that the window sticker was an overly optimistic figure and Toyota (and others) were forced (by the Government) to use more appropriate estimates on the window which once changed, we were achieving (26MPG average highway, city, etc it doesn't matter on our HyHi, it gets 26MPH unless towing a trailer..LOL).

One thing about these forums is that the majority of the posters are here because they have an issue or want/need to complain about something. That means that in general you will see more problems on here than occur than for the normal population. Try driving a tank like "a little old lady" and see what you get. Sure, you'll feel a bit uneasy that you are holding others up but take those 20 seconds to get from zero to sixty and see if your results don't improve significantly. Look ahead when coming to a light and try to time them so that you can continue rolling rather than coming to a full stop and then having to get all the weight moving again by burning fuel.

I (intentionally) did not buy a 5.0i so I can't give you exacts here.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Your expectations were probably based on a "combined fuel economy" but you drive mostly city only so you are (logically) experiencing lower than combined average fuel economy whereas others here may be driving up to 50% highway which may explain why theirs are SO much higher than yours. . If you look at the CITY MPG window sticker that came with your X5, they will show a range for that vehicle. Since most of your driving is City, you may want to see just how low the sticker shows for your city ratings and see where you fall along that range. As long as your results are in that range, the car manufacturer's (unfortunately) really don't HAVE to address any complaints. I learned that lesson the hard way when we bought a '06 Highlander Hybrid that was "RATED" for 31MPG highway but nobody and I mean NOBODY was able to get that out of them at the time. Turned out that the window sticker was an overly optimistic figure and Toyota (and others) were forced (by the Government) to use more appropriate estimates on the window which once changed, we were achieving (26MPG average highway, city, etc it doesn't matter on our HyHi, it gets 26MPH unless towing a trailer..LOL).

One thing about these forums is that the majority of the posters are here because they have an issue or want/need to complain about something. That means that in general you will see more problems on here than occur than for the normal population. Try driving a tank like "a little old lady" and see what you get. Sure, you'll feel a bit uneasy that you are holding others up but take those 20 seconds to get from zero to sixty and see if your results don't improve significantly. Look ahead when coming to a light and try to time them so that you can continue rolling rather than coming to a full stop and then having to get all the weight moving again by burning fuel.

I (intentionally) did not buy a 5.0i so I can't give you exacts here.
That is exactly right. Both my Honda Accord and BMW X5 Diesel has the same 19 mpg rating. I can get it down to 16 MPG fairly consistently if I don't drive freeway at all and press on the gas slowly. Going below 16 MPG can happen in city if I actually want to have some fun. The EPA rating for city is really a mixed highway and city averages.

Slow means taking off the gas when your engine rev is close to shift point such that the engine shift at a low point.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
One other thing that needs clarification. What is your definition of city driving. Chicago city where you have a light every block or suburb driving where you can go a mile or two before you stop/start again. My wife's 50 "city" driving is 12 stoplights/stop signs on her 3 mile commute to work.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
One other thing that needs clarification. What is your definition of city driving. Chicago city where you have a light every block or suburb driving where you can go a mile or two before you stop/start again. My wife's 50 "city" driving is 12 stoplights/stop signs on her 3 mile commute to work.
Hey man. Your wife's 12mpg 50i and z51vette are my hopefuls. Lol
My city driving is your second explanation. 1 mile here and there suburban type city driving.
I would assume my type of driving should be much better than your wife's . Yet she is at 12 and I am at around 10. Thanks again bro. I think I definitely need to record a 45 minute video drive on my dashboard so you guys can see my driving style and also that I am not bs'ing about this horrible mileage.

Last edited by doms50msport; 12-05-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 AM

Took a picture guys. Please let me know what you think. This is with 100% city driving. Ultra conservative in D.
Almost half a tank of gas. 88 miles on the tankful. That's about 9 MPG. Not only that, the engine fan is ALWAYS running on full blast when I come to a stop at a red light or stop sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	352783  

Last edited by doms50msport; 12-11-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
WOW!!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Took a picture guys. Please let me know what you think. This is with 100% city driving. Ultra conservative in D.
Almost half a tank of gas. 88 miles on the tankful. That's about 9 MPG. Not only that, the engine fan is ALWAYS running on full blast when I come to a stop at a red light or stop sign.
well I have been having a blast with my X5 since I picked it up on Dec 5th. I have filled the tank up once so far and the computer is telling me an average of 14.6 mpg so far. I got 460km on the first tank before I filled up and I have 250km so far on the second tank and I am at 1/2 tank.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5 50i
Sulfur odor is poor fuel quality or cheap gas. Sometimes diagnosed as catalytic converter issue. Purchase some high octane +93 octane for a few tanks, from a respected, well visited fuel station...Shell is what i use - 93 octane. Try that and see what happens. Otherwise it is the fuel mapping on ECU.

X50 w/ M-Perf. 15.6 MPG on almost 9K miles. City and Spirited Driving. Top Speed 133mph...so far.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
I'm just past 50% of my initial tank on my 50 with M performance, and I've just cleared 200 miles. Car is showing a fuel range of another 170 or so. Nearly all city driving. In DC and surrounds, so lots of stop-and-go.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
I'm just past 50% of my initial tank on my 50 with M performance, and I've just cleared 200 miles. Car is showing a fuel range of another 170 or so. Nearly all city driving. In DC and surrounds, so lots of stop-and-go.
Mine is basically the same numbers
Ps does anyone know what's exactely added to the engine or is diffrtent in the performance package that gives it the xtra Hp and torque

Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X5 50i
Why don't you scroll in the menu and see what your MPG actually is? 88 Miles with 191 to go and the needle displays over half a tank. Appears right on to me: 279/22.5 = 12.4 MPG. I am interested to learn more. The M-Pack is nothing more than an ECU tune, so IF you have an issue the Software on the ECU needs to be updated or the ECU replaced...or you got a tank or two of distilled fuel.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Dom : on the left lever near the signal lever there is a button u can push in and it will change the fuel range # to the mpg #
Give it a try and let us know what it says u real mpg is,
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Ddwolpert

Mein Auto: 2013 X6 50i
Hope you got it corrected. I'm getting 16.6 in town in my 2013 x6 50i and 21.2 mpg on today's 300mile road trip averaging nearly 80 mph.
21.2 hwy mpg with a 400 HP twin turbo.
Nice.
Let us know how it turned out for you.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: Audi Allroad
Quote:
I think that your nearly exclusive "in city" driving is impacting your individual results. You have to realize that BMW did NOT run the fuel performance measurements using the sport/non-auto option. Rather, any comparisons should be based on keeping the car in AUTO 100% of the time. Any time you change it to the manual shift alternative, you can basically kiss 2-5MPG in fuel economy away.

In order to get an idea of what your truck will actually do you may want to figure out a way to take it on a road trip for 50% of the tank and drive around town (conservatively) for the other half of the tank. Perhaps a nice EASY cruise to the mountains with a bit of piddling around the small towns shopping for do-dads that can fit in the back of the X5 would do you good. Then come back and let us know how it goes. I think that 12 to 13.5 are about as good as ANYONE gets with those for in city driving. Highway.. you will be lucky to get the top of 21MPG advertised. The 24MPG you are seeing is likely a periodic anomaly. My Diesel goes to 50MPG for long periods of time on the highway but I don't expect to see anywhere near that result in reality. 26MPG would be GREAT for my '12 X5 Diesel IMHO for a long highway run
I have taken my 13 X5D on a few approx 100-120 mile roadtrips. I got 26 on one and 27 on the way back. That said I am averaging about 20-21 per tank with 50/50 mixed driving. On my one 80% city tank when I was driving clients around non stop for a week, I got around 17 for 3/4 of a tank. Over the life of the vehicle I am getting 20.6 calculated.

At 2400 miles and a month of ownership I am learning how to drive it so I get better mpg around town. This thing is a pig if you do lots of starts and stops.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM

Mine says 11.2
I fly everywhere
Petal down
I'm not a good gauge of what it should be.
I'm over the mpg thing!
Cars a beast
Ps added a quart of oil at 4700 miles today as per the idrive and message on the screen!
Followed proper break in.
Gonna change out oil at 5k
All good

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 04-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
I am doing 20MPG at 80mph on the highway, totally flat florida. Full tank stable mpg

In the city, in my neighborhood where stop sign are literally at every single intersections, not even 1/8 of a mile apart, I am at 9mpg.

the EPA estimate seems pretty accurate on the car. you will get 14MPG is an 'average' city.

Last edited by philooo; 04-15-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
2011 Xdrive 5.0

17.8 MPG City (wife)
16.0 MPG City (me)

Highway Trips at 85 MPH - 22.0 MPG
12 Powerstroke Diesel
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 35d
2013 X5 50i, Computer says 17.5 MPG over 2500 miles. My previous 2010 equivalent diesel over 45,000 miles had 24.5 MPG. I had a higher highway mix on the diesel though. Purely subjective, I would say about 6 miles per gallon difference between the two models for my driving style. I can see how the 5.0I could get really bad mileage because the acceleration is awesome. It really tempts you.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
For my X5 5.0 I am getting about 18mpg combined (mostly highway though). It doesn't bother me though since I mostly drive it at weekends and I am paying over $500 a month to park it.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Wow. I havent checked this board in a long time and just wanted to give everyone an update on my experience the last 7 months in my 2013 X5 50i M Sport M Performance.

First off, thanks to you all for the great information and tons of comparison MPG figures.
I put about 9200 miles on the truck over the last 7 months and have driven from NY to Florida 4 times already, hence the high mileage. As far as long highway drives this big v8 motor is a dream. I am averaging 22.5 MPG for all 4 trips back and forth from NY to FL.

As far as the initial issue I was having with gas mileage problems when I was below 600 miles on the brand new car it seems to have worked itself out over time gradually. Every fill up it gradually got better and after 2500 miles it is exactly where it is supposed to be.

7 month mark updates (9200 miles odometer)
LONG TRIP HIGHWAY MILEAGE - 22.5 MPG
CITY DRIVING in D - 13.4 MPG
Mixed City Highway Work Week - 15.8 MPG

Mixed City Highway Work Week in Sport Mode Aggressive - 11.6 MPG

So once again, I just wanted to thank you guys for the help and let everyone know that my MPG is right where it should be.

-Dom