Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Go for it!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
I have that same picture ard, it's by far my favorite too and deserved a much more prominent spot at the Stuttgart museum.

Jay
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I have that same picture ard, it's by far my favorite too and deserved a much more prominent spot at the Stuttgart museum.

Jay
Guy in town has a 959... Beautiful! Have a pic somewhere from when the P club visited his collection.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I've noticed that the preference for the "Big Rim 'Thin' Tire" look is inversely proportional with age, in general. I have a theory that this is because it reminds the current generation of the Hot Wheels cars they played with as a kid (the tires on those typically were rather 'thin.')

People tend to develop some basic preferences when they are young, e.g., I still think the Ford GT40 is the coolest looking race car ever built.

But it's just a theory.
I think most just assumed big rim = better tires. Then again, a lot of people whines about tire wear on these sport tires. If you can't pay for it, don't do it.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I've noticed that the preference for the "Big Rim 'Thin' Tire" look is inversely proportional with age, in general. I have a theory that this is because it reminds the current generation of the Hot Wheels cars they played with as a kid (the tires on those typically were rather 'thin.')

People tend to develop some basic preferences when they are young, e.g., I still think the Ford GT40 is the coolest looking race car ever built.

But it's just a theory.
For general consumers it's not the "thin rim" that is attractive. Rather, it is the effect of the large chunk of metal consuming that wheel well. The "thin rim" is a consolation that people are "willing" to live with to get the HUGE-ARSE chuck of reflecting material.

For racers, the thin sidewall can be stiffer and allows the tire manufacturer's to do some AMAZING things for modern vehicle handling. However, the rappers and other "cruisers" that are using them aren't doing so because they need (or even LIKE) the thin sidewall. They simply want as MUCH RIM as they can get even to the detriment of handling (and looks IMHO). I can't tell you how many 7-series and other cars I have seen that are "jacked up like off road 4x4s" being driven by people living in mobile homes who (for some unknown reason) think that makes their vehicles look good. Same thing as "pants on the ground". Just looks flat out STUPID in every way.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-05-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 VW Touareg TDI
S do you not like the 20 inch rims that come on many of the BMW X5's?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35d
No question there are some compromises with the 20"... and everyone has different likes and opinions. Frankly, I don't like the looks of big wheels with low profile tires on most vehicles. For me, what I liked was the look of the wider wheel stance on the X5 and not how tall the wheels are: 10x20 front & 11x20 rear. The 19" are 9x19 and the 18" are 8.5x18.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeme View Post
S do you not like the 20 inch rims that come on many of the BMW X5's?
Since you didn't put any quote in your post, we can't tell who you were asking but since my post was directly above yours, I did not type that at ALL. In fact, you should have noticed that my signature shows that I have the 20's on my X5. My statement of big-arse wheels on non-SUVs was just that, pointed at the yo-yo's who put 26" rims on their 7-series and other such "idiots" that are trying to "ride dirty". The equivalent on the X5 would be if someone thought putting 26 or 30" rims on an X5 looked "good". Now THAT would be funny!

Here is one of those idiot...

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-05-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 VW Touareg TDI
Thanks ndabunka. Prey I missed that in your sig. Yea that is a funny pic and I see what you mean by the huge ass wheels! May I ask on you like the premium stereo option? Any recomendation on the eq set up?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeme View Post
Thanks ndabunka. Prey I missed that in your sig. Yea that is a funny pic and I see what you mean by the huge ass wheels! May I ask on you like the premium stereo option? Any recomendation on the eq set up?
Here are the premium settings others have used and the ones I prefer. Post #21 in the following thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=premium

Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
No opinion on the Touareg v X5.

For me, Form follows Function. This weird "big rim" design trend is like the 1950s and the taillight fins...one company did it, the public liked it, so they got bigger and bigger- the public then believes it must be like this to look good.

If you are driving a race car and need room for bigger brakes, you trade off rotor size for expected road surface, and engineer accordingly...but just putting bigger rims on the wheel for some kind of 'look' is poseur. To me. Give me a light, strong, true wheel, with decent sidewall, and I can outdrive those 'muscular and sporty' looking cars running on rubber bands.

Folks get low profile tires on big rims and note a 'darty' and 'direct' connection to the road....but rip through a back country secondary road, with paving irregularities, with constant weight transfers side to side, and you'll understand why low profile tires CAN be a significant downgrade. Lower profile tires will dance off the surface as the contact patch is poorly controlled, and that connection that felt good on the test drive has vanished at speed.

IMO

Now, where does one draw the performance line on the X5, dunno. 18? 19? 20? . But I do know the brake rotors are all the same.
My first two E70's had 19" wheels. The current one has 20's. My penis is definitely bigger with the 20's. Yours will be too. Go for it.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
My first two E70's had 19" wheels. The current one has 20's. My penis is definitely bigger with the 20's. Yours will be too. Go for it.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
Why stop there? 21" is the new dig from BMW.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...95&startrow=26