Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Off Topic: BMW F32 discussion.

Tim linked to the thread in the News section and I was personally blown away by the lines that make it look so much better than the sedan (just my opinion), but what do YOU think of it?

Although I'm not a fan of the F30, the F32, for some reason, I find stunning. Although it's just a concept, I'm sure production models are going to stay quite similar to it (look at the latest 6 Series and its concept version... very similar).

The only downsides: A jacked up price and a ton of bells and whistles that are bound to go bad. If I could afford it, would I mind having one? Probably not. Would I like to have one in the future? Sure thing. Would I like to have one 10 years from now? Well... considering all the long-term-related issues and horror stories that seemed to have arisen from the E90/92 platform, I don't think so...

Then again, it's entirely too early to tell.
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I like the overall design....I was always a big fan of the old (mid-to-late `80s) 6-Series Coupes, and this car IMHO appears to be a thoroughly modernized iteration of the old Sixer. What I *don`t* like are fake air scoops, strips of LEDs (a la Audi), and superflous crap like that. The K.I.S.S. principle rules, in my book.
Nice car, but knowing BMW, it`ll probably be wearing a $60,000+ price tag when released....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I like the overall design....I was always a big fan of the old (mid-to-late `80s) 6-Series Coupes, and this car IMHO appears to be a thoroughly modernized iteration of the old Sixer. What I *don`t* like are fake air scoops, strips of LEDs (a la Audi), and superflous crap like that. The K.I.S.S. principle rules, in my book.
Nice car, but knowing BMW, it`ll probably be wearing a $60,000+ price tag when released....
The air scoops on the sides are (supposedly) functional air vents that help increase the aerodynamic design of the car.

As for the gobs and gobs of LEDs across the front... well... I'm sure PlastiDip can fix that...

I remember hearing the base price tag would be roughly $5,000 more than a base model F30. Then again, I could be waaaaaay off.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I remember hearing the base price tag would be roughly $5,000 more than a base model F30. Then again, I could be waaaaaay off.
The term "Base Price" is a bad joke....virtually NOTHING ever gets sold at the Base Price. A few years ago, just for hahas, I was pricing out a 535ix touring....after choosing the options I felt were (reasonably) necessary, the price was somewhere north of 70 grand, at which point I yakked all over my shoes, and scratched *that* idea....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
The term "Base Price" is a bad joke....virtually NOTHING ever gets sold at the Base Price. A few years ago, just for hahas, I was pricing out a 535ix touring....after choosing the options I felt were (reasonably) necessary, the price was somewhere north of 70 grand, at which point I yakked all over my shoes, and scratched *that* idea....
Word/Phrase: Base Price
Definition: A hunk of total sh*t with no cool features that will make you cry when your buddies roll up in their fully loaded cars.
Used in a Sentence: "Hey Bob! How are those leather seats in your base price vehicle in this 10F weather? What's that? Cold? Oh, right! No seat warmers! HEY EVERYBODY! BOB DOESN'T HAVE SEAT WARMERS IN HIS LUXURY VEHICLE! POINT AND LAUGH!"
Source for 'Used in a Sentence': I don't have seat warmers and it makes me cry.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Good point FastBob, lol.

I like the look of the new F32 coupe and the side gills remind me of the STi's gills.

As for the price, so far in the F30 forums, the most common sales for the sedans are the baseline followed by the Sport/M-Sport lines. If you haven't seen the M-Sport that's the line worth getting. Base price get you in at around $35k for the 2012s and $36500 for the 2013s, I wouldn't be surprised with the $5k markup for the coupe. The good thing on the 2013s are that they are making more standard options that which were add-ons on the 2012s.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
I'd say in pictures, that's a very good looking car. But seeing the F30 live, I just can't get over how high the front end looks.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 AM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Quote:
Absolutely love this model of BMW. Hoping to get into one some time down the road. Pretty hard to find one that isn't a rust bucket around where I live though.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
I'll wait until I see the car in person, and not judge it on a photo with the most critical difference from the F30 hidden in shadows.

The odds of me buying a new BMW anytime soon (like before the F3x goes out of production) is slim, but right now I'd be leaning toward the F31. Overall, I don't like the style of new BMWs. The European pedestrian safety laws have ruined the front ends (1 series E82 is the exception since its nose hasn't changed since I saw one in Munich in 2004). More likely, I'd be importing an 325i wagon in a couple years.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................