Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 07 750LI sportpackage
E66 adaptive headlight malfunction

hey everyone, I am new here. I just bought a 2007 750li W/sportpackage. I am having trouble with my headlights. There is a green light blinking next to my control knob and I have a messege saying cornering light malfunction. I checked my head lights and all are working except the too inner headlights but when i pull the bright light lever towards me the two that are out comes on but when i let it go they go back off.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
I might be mistaken , but check your fog lights . I recall some 1 mentioning something about the blinking green light & there fog .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM

My fog lights work and all my angel eyes work. I know its not the bulb because they come on when i pull the lever back but go off when i release it. I seen somewhere on the site where some one said it may be the type of bulb but i didn't think that would matter and also the lights that are working are blue and the ones thats not are clear.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
I just talk to the member that had the
flashing green light on his light switch
knob . he said that there was a plug that
came off under the front of the car or
behind his headlights . After he plugged it
back in the switch stopped flashing .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Blinking light means there is an issues with the adaptive lights system (system that allows the headlamps to turn during cornering/curves)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

@PAPER I will check the connictions.
@csneabce: I know the blinking light means there is a issue with the adaptive light system because I have a messsage that say "Cornering Light Malfunction" on my dash when i turn the car on. I was wondering what could be the problem because I know the waring light is on because of the two inner lights. they dont come on on no settings but come on when i pull the lever back and goes off when i release the lever.

Just trying to get help before i take it to a dealer to change me a couple hundred bucks just to tell me whats wrong.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams_wl View Post
@PAPER I will check the connictions.
@csneabce: I know the blinking light means there is a issue with the adaptive light system because I have a messsage that say "Cornering Light Malfunction" on my dash when i turn the car on. I was wondering what could be the problem because I know the waring light is on because of the two inner lights. they dont come on on no settings but come on when i pull the lever back and goes off when i release the lever.

Just trying to get help before i take it to a dealer to change me a couple hundred bucks just to tell me whats wrong.

Thanks for the help
The problem could be a couple of things from the actuators that control to main headlamps to the control module that is located under each headlamp. Diagnosis is going to be a bit tough without INPA/diagnosis software to read the exact system/part that has the error stored. Also the inner lights aren't supposed to be on. They are passing lights that quickly illuminate when you pull the turn signal stalk towards you to signal you are passing someone or to tell someone that they have their highbeams on. The main outer bulbs have a projector with a flap/mirror that lifts up to allow more light output when you actually put on your highbeams by moving the turn signal stalk towards the dashboard.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:49 AM

The whole time i thought those light supposed to be on when you turn your headlights on and if I turn my fog lights on the angel eyes are lit around all four headlights. I guess i will take it to the dealer and I will let you all know the results.

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM

You were right CSMEANCE, i took my 750LI to the dealer and they told me my inner lights do not supposed to be on and he basically said the same thing you posted. The problem they found out with the adaptive headlights was the SMC(Stepper Motor Control) Control Module went bad. My car is under warrenty that covers that part but the problem is before they approve the claim, they would have to send the warrenty inspector out to look at the part and make sure the cause of the problem wasn't from corrosin, water damage, collision......etc basically anything other than I guess a manufactors defect or just wore out. If something other than normal ware and tare is the cause of the defect, I am going to have to pay out of pocket which is $489 just for the labor. I am fine with the way they are now because this is the first and only vechicle i have was this feature but i do want to get it fix since its under warrenty but dont want to pay 1200(including parts) for a feature i dont really use. The question I have is: What are some causes of SMC failure and are any of the things I listed usually the cause of the failure?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams_wl View Post
The question I have is: What are some causes of SMC failure and are any of the things I listed usually the cause of the failure?
who knows with these cars...

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 760i
Adaptive Assembly runs about $1,538 retail. Check eBay for new with part number, 63-21-7-164-722. I have seen a new assembly listed for $1,300. Local dealer quotes $2,051 for parts ($1,538.71) and labor (2.5 hours).