Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
RBOZ

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xi
Update

I took my car into the dealership. I got what I expected, which was "a rock must have hit it". Therefore you must go to your insurance company or pay out of pocket because it will not be covered under warranty. The lady I was speaking with was pleasant and just the messenger so I politely told her that I had a bad feeling that I was going to be in for a fight and that I would appreciate speaking with the Service Manager. I spoke to the Service Manager and got the same exact response. There was nothing rude or impolite during our exchange. I have since filed a formal complaint with BMW Canada and am currently awaiting a response from them. Concerning the "a rock must have hit it" theory. A Professor of Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkley determined that it is physically impossible for this to be the cause. Here is the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=8026317

Once I hear back from BMW Canada I will give an update.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
Rboz,

Good luck and please keep us informed.

There are times I really wish that car manufacturer repairs were online , even if only so that people could go through and search for other similar incidents. Unfortunately, that will allow ordinary people to find the patters that most automakers don't want to search for because if they don't know, they don't have to fix it. I also wish the burden for warranty work was on the companies to prove something beyond their control caused the issue (prove it was a mod/rock/whatever that caused the failure). While it may technically be true, based on the stories I've seen here and elsewhere with different vehicles, there seems to be a real trend by manufacturers to deny claims and require us to prove that it is a warranty issue rather than the other way around.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8

Last edited by Stonehauler; 08-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Let us know how it turns out. I think in the end, BMW will do the right thing and cover your sunroof.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOZ View Post
I took my car into the dealership. I got what I expected, which was "a rock must have hit it". .... Once I hear back from BMW Canada I will give an update.
RBOZ - what stealership are you using in Edmonton? Hope you have better luck with your issue than I've had with mine in Calgary
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
It does seem unlikely that a flying rock could cause this but it seems even less likely that this would happen spontaneously, regardless of the temperature.
I will be surprised if BMW treats this as a product defect.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Let us know how it turns out. I think in the end, BMW will do the right thing and cover your sunroof.
It appears the opportunity to do the 'right thing' passed when they said it isn't their responsibility. Now, they must be forced to own up to the problem by some means that will burden their customers with proving there is a defect.

The 'must have been a rock' excuse is lame, at best.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
RBOZ

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xi
Update Aug 23

I spoke with the Dealership Service Manager and he again reiterated that this was not a warranty issue. However, they are willing to pay for the parts (glass and frame) which is a $2,300 value. I must pay for the labour, which is a $1,12o value. The various paint scratches on the car made by the shattered glass flying behind the car is also my responsibility. I told him that I was grateful and that I still would speak to BMW Canada as I had not heard back from them yet after filing a formal complaint.

The BMW Canada rep was absolutely useless. His entire point was that the exploding sunroof was not covered under warranty. I told him that I understood that it was not covered. I understand that it cannot be 100% proven to be a manufacturer's defect. However, I know that it cannot be proven that it is not either. Hence the problem. I asked him, that given the circumstances, where is the customer service? Knowing that it was not a warrantable issue were they not going to offer some kind of pacifier? A company with customer service in mind might offer something in lieu of their inability or unwillingness to make everything good. A hotel might offer a reduced rate if you've had a bad experience, a restaurant might offer to pay for one of the meals or free dessert. BMW Canada offered absolutely nothing, just an arrogant attitude of "too bad for you".

The dealership, on the other hand, seems to be making an effort towards a goodwill gesture. In that regard I give kudos to the dealership for providing some type of customer service whereas BMW Canada is completely useless and oblivious to what customer service means. Although I had to scream and cry like a 5 year old to get some customer service. At the end of the day I am further ahead than when I started. Oh well. Hopefully, this is the last issue I will have with my car. Because I still love my car, it's not her fault....
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I'm amazed the dealer stepped up for you like this.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBOZ View Post
I spoke with the Dealership Service Manager and he again reiterated that this was not a warranty issue. However, they are willing to pay for the parts (glass and frame) which is a $2,300 value. I must pay for the labour, which is a $1,12o value.
Would you pay less out of pocket if go thru your insuarnce? Unless your deductible is more than $1000.

Last edited by The X Men; 08-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Wow, glad you're ok and makes you kind of not want a sunroof after reading about exploding sunroofs.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
Wow, glad you're ok and makes you kind of not want a sunroof after reading about exploding sunroofs.
outside of a verts, a few M Cars and stripper a 128i/X1/X3, they all come with moonroofs standard.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Not sunroof releatd, but i think the sunroof is made the same way as other safty glass; and if that can be confirmed; I can tell you there is always a chance it will shatter liek that;

I had a shower door do it, no one was even home, came home to a pile of glass; The installer who came to repair it said he has in recent years seen that a ton and has become common. he said one of a few things could cause that;

1) incorrect treatment of the glass at factory
2) a tiny pressure point at the edge of the glass pressing over time would trigger the collapse of the glass
3) the glass slipped in the frame, and touched an edge on one of the metal pressure points over time

He said in my case it was likely the door slipped and touched the hinge, as they didn't find a thin sliver of nylon that was to be installed around the metal hinges - so if it did touch, it would not shatter...

I suspect that if truly it was not a rock (and were we live - and our friend from Edmonton will know) we use small boulders in the winter to help with traction, called gravel) - With that sad; I had sunroofs in every car i have owned since 1993 - and not one sunroof ever was broken; I have had massive windshield damage, dents of the size of an orange, broken headlights - but never a sunroof; and I know for a fact that the sunroof has been hit!

That leaves me with the thinking that if a rock can do that damage its most likely impact point would be the edge of the glass. I have not looked close at this moonroof design, but of the edges are exposed enough, it would be a lottery winning good luck that the rock impacted the edge of the glass to cause it

I suspect that the issue may me car twisting etc; but the more likely cause is impact - but along the edge of the glass. the next likely way would be incorrect installation - which you may be able to find if you look around the edges of the sunroof and see if there is a pressure point. The pressure point could have been installation or manufacturing or it could have been as simple something getting stuck under the glass when closed?

If the dealer are not willing to repair the first one, they should be willing to repair any additional blown glass and repay the first one if it happens again.

Filing a report with the transport department will also at least allow them to document the issue, and it becomes statisticaly relevant issue they will investigate.

Thats some of my layman education on the issue... but maybe it will add to your current conversation or line of investigation

p.s. I did have a heated side mirror brake and leak green stuff once, and the dealer replaced that with "yeah, we see this all the time" on a GM car I years ago... and I have heard of windshields cracking along the edge of new cars and those get replaced (they look for a chip mark, and if no chip mark they have replaced them it has traveled through to the edge (or from the edge) so glass does break do to defects, and dealers do warranty them - so not sure why they are resisting on this sunroof issue
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
2 years ago I was driving my friends 3 series, E90, in California (San Jose), temperture was moderate, 68F, I came off the freeway up to a stop light and I heard the same noise you did. The sunroof glass had exploded. Bottom line; SFBMW repaired the sunroof under warranty. No argument. Just depends on the dealership and the Service Manager's mood on that day. Good luck, don't back down!.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Now an owner in a new Kia in Temecula,CA experiences an exploding sunroof while driving on the freeway. Kia will not replace under warranty.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
I was just talking to a friend of mine who had a new gmc truck he was renting while his was in the shop. The rental had a mere 200 km on it and the rear windshield exploded He thought for sure he would have to pay for it but the guy at the rental counter said to not worry about it, they have already had a few of them happen this way... Exact same all new low km cars and trucks.

I can't help but think there is a pattern here...

Last edited by bmguy; 12-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.