Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 989
Mein Auto: X3
You could probably do it without raising the car. I find it easier to get the bottom cover off by jacking it up. As a side note, I am pretty thin and I couldn't get to the transfer case without jacking the car up.

For your transmission, I don't consider 100k too long of an interval to drain fluid. That is the normal duration GM recommends for its cars and what BMW recommends for 07 and up. Now at 140k I would side with the dealer. As a side note, I would put this low on my priority list. If it shifts fine wait.

The more I think about it, that clunk sounds more like the driveshaft and guibo. I would ask an indie not the dealer for them to look at it after you fix the expansion tank.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
You could probably do it without raising the car. I find it easier to get the bottom cover off by jacking it up. As a side note, I am pretty thin and I couldn't get to the transfer case without jacking the car up.

For your transmission, I don't consider 100k too long of an interval to drain fluid. That is the normal duration GM recommends for its cars and what BMW recommends for 07 and up. Now at 140k I would side with the dealer. As a side note, I would put this low on my priority list. If it shifts fine wait.

The more I think about it, that clunk sounds more like the driveshaft and guibo. I would ask an indie not the dealer for them to look at it after you fix the expansion tank.
hahaha OH MY more research to do... okay, i'll keep that in mind. I briefly did a search and notice the issues were "clunking while going from 2 to 1" which is what I have.... except, it doesn't do it in manual-mode, only in auto mode

Will try to get it at LEAST the transfer case done by tomorrow... apparently that tops the list of things to do.

EDIT: I'LL INSPECT THE GUIBO TOM WHILE I'M UNDER

Last edited by awdrev; 12-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Okay so what a heck of a long day.... started at 9 AM and finished around 3pm.

I know, sounds like a long time but a few things came up.

1) I was able to replace the coolant expansion tank but as it turns out, it seems that it was the TOP RADIATOR hose that was leaking... that's my judgment right now but that's okay. I am happy I replaced it anyways, hose was extra 30 bucks..... but it was a mess. First, I did not have as much clearance as the pictured DIY showed, maybe it's because we have xDrive but I def did not have the whole front end open like that... in any event, I did it but I got coolant everywhere, ugh, even on my face. Def a learning experience... Good news is that I believe the leaking situation is solved (finally)

2) The transfer case fluid was also done... it was black, as I expected it to be. This also took me forever... I made a big mistake and started taking apart the transfer case metal support so I can get more clearance to put a socket, that didn't work... I realized when I took that down that the transfer case came down with it, so I had to get a carjack and put it back up and tighten the mount.... FINALLY went to Advanced, picked up a 16mm and worked out fine. So the transfer case took almost all of my quart bottle but it didn't start coming out and if so, very slightly.... should I buy another one and put it in until it's definitely coming out? I have just a tiny bit left and I think when I finished pumping and couldn't get more of it into the transfer case, it was coming out pretty slowly... which, to me, it meant that it was good to go. Thought?

3) Replace air filter (it was awfully dirty and gross); and also the cabin filter... (also disgusting)

Test Driving: So far the car feels good; overall, I actually think the car feels smoother... also, the clanking from 2 to 1 has disappeared for now and I'm still taking it easy driving wise to ensure that the transfer case gets fully fully lubricated. The coolant issue seems to be fixed which I am very happy about, now I need to save up and get a radiator flush.

Car just hit 98.5k today, I plan to do the remaining maintenance schedule but I need to drive the car for at least three months without spending more money in it. Hoping it lasts!

Thank you to the both of you for the help!

Last edited by awdrev; 12-06-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 989
Mein Auto: X3
Good work! You should be good on the fluid in the xfer case. If it was slightly dripping out or if you could feel it it at the top you are fine.

Glad to know about that support! Taking it down crossed my mind once too. I ended up using a box wrench to remove the fill plug.

Haha about the coolant. Same darned thing happened to me. I filled the coolant with the bleeder open and then stupid me used to domestics turned the car on to fill it up more with expansion cap open. I was given a pretty waterfall of blue coolant every where. Lesson learned...that's what the bleeder is for.

Last edited by x3brian; 12-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Good work! You should be good on the fluid in the xfer case. If it was slightly dripping out or if you could feel it it at the top you are fine.

Glad to know about that support! Taking it down crossed my mind once too. I ended up using a box wrench to remove the fill plug.
Yea if you do take it out, just do know that it will come down too. Not that much but enough so that you can't get it up without a jack... just use the wrench.

By the way, I did buy the rear diff fluid but need to read more about it.... I didn't see a fill plug when I was down there and I think it's on the side... I may get a shop to do three things:
both differentials fluid change; and radiator coolant change...

Do you have any idea how much fluid I would need? I got two quarts for the rear, how much does the front take and how much coolant should I give to the shop? I'd rather give them my own stuff to put in instead of trusting them.. it's the shop of a buddy of mine anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 989
Mein Auto: X3
There is only one plug on the rear diff. It's for both drain and fill. What I do is remove the spare tire, pull the drain plug and then jack the front of the car up. I use my pump to get what's left out of there. I then refill with redline 75w90.

The front diff has two plugs. I bought 3 quarts for front and rear and used about 1 3/4 quarts between the two. I definitely wouldn't pay a shop if you were able to change xfer case fluid.

For the cooling system it takes about 10 quarts so you need two gallons. Also not hard to flush...you just need about 4 gallons of distilled water and to find the block drain.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
There is only one plug on the rear diff. It's for both drain and fill. What I do is remove the spare tire, pull the drain plug and then jack the front of the car up. I use my pump to get what's left out of there. I then refill with redline 75w90.

The front diff has two plugs. I bought 3 quarts for front and rear and used about 1 3/4 quarts between the two. I definitely wouldn't pay a shop if you were able to change xfer case fluid.

For the cooling system it takes about 10 quarts so you need two gallons. Also not hard to flush...you just need about 4 gallons of distilled water and to find the block drain.
Yea that's gonna be a lot of work for the time being... I'll have a shop do that and the front... I have heard of Red Line but I'm just getting all OEM fluids from the dealer.

My next, I guess "slight concern", is that humming sound. I do not think it's the wheel bearing, it increases and decreases with the touch of the pedal so I am thinking that the rear diff needs to be flushed or the "guibo" issue... ugh, but I can't take care of any of that for like a month. It's just gonna be like for that a 2-3....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms