Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > The Test Board

The Test Board
Test your sigs and everything else here.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Snap-in Adapter DIY Install Instructions w/ RAZR V3i

The following are instructions, pix & part numbers for a DIY install of the snap-in adapter for a RAZR (and will work for any bluetooth phone for which a snap-in adapter is available). It took me around 20 minutes, but may take a bit longer if you've never removed the rear center console panel & A/C vents before (which I had as part of my iPod hardwire install). With this set up, the phone is charged while the car is on (nice since bluetooth uses lots of power), and it's also connected to the shark fin antenna (I live in a hilly area and normally get 4 bars, and get 5 with the phone installed in the snap-in adapter).

I picked up an unlocked/unbranded Motorola RAZR V3i--very cool phone. Improvements from V3 include 1.3 megapixel camera, video capture & playback, iTunes and microSD slot (I installed a 1 GB card). Gunmetal color is very nice as well.

The part numbers and list prices are:
84 21 0 415 023, snap-in adapter for RAZR, $140
84 21 6 946 075, base plate, $130
51 16 7 060 175, base plate frame, $24.25

Most dealers will give a 10% discount to BMWCCA members.

The snap-in adapter is on back order with no ETA, so I got it on eBay.de for around the same price.

First remove 4 #10 torx screws (circled in red) to remove coin holder (circled in yellow):

Here are the 3 pieces (base plate frame, base plate & snap-in adapter) before being put together:

The RAZR V3 snap-in adapter in the up position (so you can slide the connector into the mini-USB port on the side of the phone):

V3i in snap-in adapter:

V3i locked in snap-in adapter:

V3i in snap-in adapter assembly:

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console, and the A/C vents--see my iPod hardwire install DIY for instructions:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154839

Then you need to fish the wires through the hole circled in red--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location:

Connect the power & antenna wires to the connectors inside the center console--red circle shows both wires connected:

This cap needed to be removed from the power connector inside the center console first:

Last, attach the snap-in adapter with the 4 torx screws.

Here's what it looks like fully installed:
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
I was thinking about how the antenna connection is made (and if it is made!). I assumed it was through the mini USB port, but I found it is a 4 pin connector, 2 for power and 2 for data:
http://pinouts.ru/data/motorola_miniusb_pinout.shtml

Doesn't seem the mini USB has the ability to transmit RF, so I examined the snap-in adapter.

At the bottom of the snap-in adapter is a wire loop, that when the phone is clipped in, touches the bottom of the phone (which is where the antenna is in a V3):

I looked at the bottom of the part that hinges up, and it appears that wire loop is connected to a coax wire.

On the bottom of the snap-in adapter is the connector which mates with the base plate, and it includes a female coax connector, which connects to its male counterpart on the base plate:

Could it be that the wire loop touching the bottom of the phone near the antenna is enough to make a connection?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Smile

These are great instructions.

I have one modification to add to make this job easier. The snap-in adapter cable connector comes apart into two pieces so that you don't have to shove a really large electrical fitting into a small hole. This document might clear up a few things:

Binder1.pdf

Be careful when you take the fitting apart or you can break it. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 x1 35i M
According to my local dealer, the eject box P/N 84216946075 has been replaced by P/N 84109160935 and is on backorder with nothing in sight to predict availability.

I may not have ended up where I intended to go,
but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be.
...Douglas Adams

Last edited by NumberSix; 05-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318d e91
Is everything prewired?
I have a e91 with navigation GPS and I would like to add the snap-in for the iPhone.
The car doesn't has a phone function in the armrest. Just a small compartiment in there
Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Question

Is there an adapter from the cdma connection to an andriod? (phone)