Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 01 525i
Oil Separator Small Vacuum Hose

I purchased a CCV kit for my 2001 BMW 525i. Installing it, for a moderately experienced DIYer, was a bit frustrating. I was able to find 3 video segments on Youtube that did a good job of providing step by step (look up M54 Crankcase ventilation). I have 2 issues for the forum - one a question and the other a comment/suggestion.

Question:
The new oil separator(OS) has a small port that was unplugged upon receiving it. Official BMW records say that port is "required" for my model year car. My old OS is not have it so I am thinking just plug it up. What should I do and if needed where does it bloody connect to?

Comment:
In order to connect the breather hose (valve cover to OS) I used a heat gun to soften the OS side due to it being very stiff. I actually broke the first OS trying to connect this one. (urrrrgggg!) Sometimes these aftermarket kits require a little finagling right?

Responses appreciated. Here is what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCV BMW.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	352140  
Ads by Google
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnormand View Post
The new oil separator(OS) has a small port that was unplugged upon receiving it. Official BMW records say that port is "required" for my model year car.
This thread, found by typing /ccv F3 in the bestlinks, was designed to answer your question well before you asked it:

- Clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1)

If it doesn't answer your question - please ask over there as that's the canonical thread for the CCV vacuum port connection.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Question:
The new oil separator(OS) has a small port that was unplugged upon receiving it. Official BMW records say that port is "required" for my model year car. My old OS is not have it so I am thinking just plug it up. What should I do and if needed where does it bloody connect to?

Comment:
In order to connect the breather hose (valve cover to OS) I used a heat gun to soften the OS side due to it being very stiff. I actually broke the first OS trying to connect this one. (urrrrgggg!) Sometimes these aftermarket kits require a little finagling right?

[/IMG]
+1, per BBs response, as you have the M54, the port should be plugged. I am surprised you got a CCV that was missing the plug.

Are you referring to the vent pipe or the connecting pipe. The vent pipe (which connects to the VC) simply requires that you push it on until it clicks. However, the connecting pipe (which connects to the intake manifold) is a PITA to install. It requires rotating the pipe to connect. Refer to step 12 of my DIY for my workaround to getting this pipe installed.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...240&highlight=
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
I purchased a CCV kit for my 2001 BMW 525i. Installing it, for a moderately experienced DIYer, was a bit frustrating. I was able to find 3 video segments on Youtube that did a good job of providing step by step (look up M54 Crankcase ventilation). I have 2 issues for the forum - one a question and the other a comment/suggestion.

Question:

Comment:

Responses appreciated. Here is what I am talking about.
#6 in the diagram is plugged in the newer I6 face-lifted E39 models (525i, and 530i).
The vacuum hose at #6 is ONLY used on the older I6 E39 models, (ex. 528i's).

Save your money and just get the Cold Weather CCV version as a kit, and buy the (2) additional hoses needed.

You should also buy the New Oil dipstick tube as well...

Link to different parts...
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-525...Oil_Separator/

Link to my thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1376457

Link to Cold Weather CCV kit at E-BMW-Parts.com (BMW Dealer in Peabody, Mass. - best price I have found for the kit):
http://ebmwparts.com/parts/index.cfm...&siteid=216397

Another great place to purchase parts (another BMW dealer, but in Ohio):
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
Ok now check this out.
http://bmwfans***91;/img] ******** LINK B...oil_separator/

You can see now that the "kit" is made up of numbers 1,2 and 3.

To complete the "kit" to include all insulated hoses you would need:
11 61 7 532 629 Vent hose (insulated)
11 61 7 504 536 Return Pipe (insulated)
which are numbers 4 and 7 in the diagram I posted above.

If memory serves me correctly you do not need part 6 on a 5 series.

That does not apply to the e39 and there is no place to plug it into the CCV.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Thank you

It turns out that thanks to Bluebee I do not need to attach hose #6 on my M54. Has anyone tried to install this on the M54 and found the valve cover breather hose #2 to be stiff and impossible to install? Thanks all for comments.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
You should also buy the New Oil dipstick tube as well...
Good point!

I think there are three options for the lousy oil dipstick:
1. New redesigned dipstick
2. Modify existing dipstick
3. At least clean existing dipstick

Details here:
- How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
+1, per BBs response, as you have the M54, the port should be plugged. I am surprised you got a CCV that was missing the plug....
Bought my CCV at the dealer and it came without a vacuum cap on that port.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
it came without a vacuum cap on that port.
I guess they expect you to swap the old vacuum cap to the new CCV.

However, given that the old one is a decade old, and, that it's not at all easy to get to after the fact, I would recommend the OP buy a new one.

Problem is that they're metric (ask me how I know), so, you probably want to go to the stealer to get it as the auto parts stores near me didn't carry metric sizes.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Wow, very nice diagrams bluebee. I only wish you I6 engineers would do a diagram for the V8
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM

20% Reduction in Gas Mileage!! WTF!

After completing the CCV kit replacement my rough idling issues went away but I am seeing a reduction in gas mileage from 22 to 18. Has anyone seen this before?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to manticore33
Mein Auto: '86 Porsche 951, '01 530i
Bluebee, nice modification to the dipstick tube.

How many people encounter the snotty oil build up? The reason I ask, I live in a colder climate (Central Ohio), my car is from Pittsburgh, and the original non-cold weather CCV was "snot free" and the double-walled dipstick tube was clear @ 212k. The car is driven all year and sits outside...