Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Can someone please sum up the various suspension options?

I know the info is out there, but it's scattered and confusing... thought it would be nice to sum it all up in one thread here... apologies if a similar thread already exists, I couldn't find it. I'll populate with answers in bold as they come up.

What's the difference between M sport and non-sport? (what's the non-sport called?)... How much change in ride height/stiffness?
Stiffer with a 10mm drop.

Is there a third option that comes with the M Sport Line? (that's where I'm getting confused... my Sport Line has the M Sport suspension, but obviously it's not the M Sport Line)... If so, how does it differ from the M Sport suspension?
Sport and M Sport both get the same fixed 704 sport suspension standard.

Which Lines have which?
Sport Line and M Sport Line have the M Sport suspension, all others have non-sport

X drives all have the non-sport suspension correct?
All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models.

ZDH = the Dynamic Handling Package

Can you have M Sport suspension and ZDH at the same time?
No

What exactly does the ZDH do? How does the Dynamic Handling Package effect the M Sport vs Normal vs _______? (if there is a third)

What if anything happens to the various suspension options when you switch between Eco/Comfort/Sport?

Anything else I missed?

Thanks!

See Sean10mm's post just below... sums it up nicely!

Last edited by otonimus; 12-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
For non-xDrive cars:

Sport and M Sport both get the same fixed 704 sport suspension standard. You can confirm this from the ordering guide. It has a 10mm drop and is stiffer.
All other lines get the base suspension standard, which is softer.
Changing driving modes doesn't change anything about any of the above suspensions. You can look under the car and see that nothing connects any of their suspension parts to the switch.
The Adaptive M suspension (which comes with the Dynamic Handling Package) replaces the other suspensions (the ordering guide explains this, adding Adaptive M deletes 704 if the car has it), has a 10mm drop, and adjusts stiffness based on the Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ setting.

For xDrive cars:

All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models. You can confirm this in the ordering guide, Sport and M Sport lines for xDrive models don't include the 704 sport suspension like they do on non-xDrives.
The Adaptive M suspension (which comes with the Dynamic Handling Package) replaces the base suspension, does not have a 10mm drop on xDrive cars, and adjusts stiffness based on the Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ setting.

Last edited by sean10mm; 11-26-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Annnnnnnd... done.

Wow that was quick. Thanks sean10mm!

"All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models."

That is just ridiculous, in my humble opinion. When I think sport vs non-sport I always think of suspension, I really dislike it when car makers call a car "sport" just because it has different trim pieces and a nicer steering wheel... or whatever. Very common on much cheaper cars, surprised BMW is doing it.

Meh... no harm done I suppose

Last edited by otonimus; 11-26-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
And the Sport and M Sport lines cost the same for both xDrive and non-xDrive models!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,820
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
For xDrive cars:

All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models.
I would not call it "base suspension", since the xDrive suspension is taller than the non-xDrive base, and stiffer to control the roll due to the taller stance.

Or at least that has always been my understanding (and it was certainly true on my E46.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I would not call it "base suspension", since the xDrive suspension is taller than the non-xDrive base, and stiffer to control the roll due to the taller stance.

Or at least that has always been my understanding (and it was certainly true on my E46.)
I'm pretty sure the F30 xDrive is the same height as any non-sport model.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
pablo4.2 pablo4.2 is offline
Registered User
Location: NY-NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: E63AMG, Jeep GrandCheroke
sean10mm, I read your posts with great interest as I am seriously considering a 2013 335xi and think I want the sport susp. It's very hard to test drive one and have not been told of any coming in with ZDH. Can you explain how different the steering is please and if it changes the ratio in a long curve if accelerating through it? The thought of that happening is not up my alley and I remember it being like this on older BMW's. What I mean is the ratio changing according to speed while in a turn. Any other's input would also be appreciated.

Last edited by pablo4.2; 11-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,820
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
I'm pretty sure the F30 xDrive is the same height as any non-sport model.
Now that the xDrive sedans are on bmwusa.com:

4. xDrive models: 56.5 inches.

That's 0.2 inches higher than 328i.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
daw daw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cape Cod
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5sp - 192K mi
With the adaptive M suspension, the stiffness is adjustable. How does the Comfort setting with this suspension compare with the standard suspension and how does the Sport setting compare with the fixed 704 sport suspension? I'm talking about a 2WD car.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Now that the xDrive sedans are on bmwusa.com:

4. xDrive models: 56.5 inches.

That's 0.2 inches higher than 328i.
Huh. 5mm difference is so small you wonder why they bothered.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
ZDH = the Dynamic Handling Package, I think... what's the Z stand for?
German for "the"...zee dynamic handling package.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
voip-ninja's Avatar
voip-ninja voip-ninja is offline
Swedish Murder Machine
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,886
Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus

Which Lines have which?
Sport Line and M Sport Line have the M Sport suspension, all others have non-sport
Not accurate. Sport and M sport line cars have the sport suspension. There is no such thing as "m sport" suspension on the F30 currently, any such suspension would arrive with the redesigned M3 next year. The "M sport" on the F30 is largely cosmetic with the only performance differences being the thicker steering wheel (not sure if that really counts) and the upgraded brakes. Referring to it this way confuses people who are trying to figure out the difference between sport suspension and adaptive m suspension. See the potential for confusion when you refer to sport suspension as M sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus
X drives all have the non-sport suspension correct? [/b]
Correct, unless they spring for the adaptive suspension and handling package.

Quote:
ZDH = the Dynamic Handling Package, I think... what's the Z stand for?
Probably something German. It's a package number. Some package numbers are simply a combination of numbers and letters that would only make sense to a marketing/engineering person in Germany.

Quote:
Can you have M Sport suspension and ZDH at the same time? When you "build your own" on the BMW website it doesn't seem like it...
The ZDH suspension replaces whatever suspension the car would normally have. It's a "sport" suspension with adjustable shocks and wheel sensors. On the x-drive cars it is a taller ride height, otherwise it is the same on all cars regardless of the line.

Quote:
What exactly does the ZDH do? How does the Dynamic Handling Package effect the M Sport vs Normal vs _______? (if there is a third)
Look here;
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=626706

And stop referring to sport suspension as an M suspension. It's not an M suspension even if you get an "m sport" car. The only cars that have M suspensions are M cars like M3, M5, etc.

Quote:
What if anything happens to the various suspension options when you switch between Eco/Comfort/Sport?
Do a search, this has come up and been covered many many times. Type adaptive in the search box on this site and look at some of the threads that come up, there's tons of info about this.
__________________

Last edited by voip-ninja; 12-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post

And stop referring to sport suspension as an M suspension. It's not an M suspension even if you get an "m sport" car. The only cars that have M suspensions are M cars like M3, M5, etc.


Hmmm..... maybe you should tell that to BMW. It's a poor choice on their part, I agree it's a designation that should be reserved for m3, m5, etc. But the fact is, that's what they call it on their website, so it's gonna be called M Sport Suspension. Repeatedly. Get used to it



Last edited by otonimus; 12-06-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Do a search, this has come up and been covered many many times. Type adaptive in the search box on this site and look at some of the threads that come up, there's tons of info about this.
I'm well aware that this forum has a search function. It's a wonder of modern technology.

The whole point here was to sum up all of the basic suspension questions in one crystal clear thread, whether I already knew the answers or not. Apologies if a thread like this already exists, I didn't find one.

Scattered info on a forum is frustrating, I'm a big fan of when topics get summarized all in one place. This is how stickies come to be.


Last edited by otonimus; 12-06-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
kqf30 kqf30 is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30335XDRIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
I'm well aware that this forum has a search function. It's a wonder of modern technology.

The whole point here was to sum up all of the basic suspension questions in one crystal clear thread, whether I already knew the answers or not. Apologies if a thread like this already exists, I didn't find one.

Scattered info on a forum is frustrating, I'm a big fan of when topics get summarized all in one place. This is how stickies come to be.

I did not get a chance to drive XDRIVE + DHP but I have a F30 335 XDRIVE 18" all seasons + base suspension and I think it rides very nicely in comfort and sport.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by kqf30 View Post
I did not get a chance to drive XDRIVE + DHP but I have a F30 335 XDRIVE 18" all seasons + base suspension and I think it rides very nicely in comfort and sport.
You got the "Snowboarding, anyone?" package.

Awesome car
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
chasfh's Avatar
chasfh chasfh is offline
Playin' With Your Head
Location: 60647
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 346
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
I'm well aware that this forum has a search function. It's a wonder of modern technology.

The whole point here was to sum up all of the basic suspension questions in one crystal clear thread, whether I already knew the answers or not. Apologies if a thread like this already exists, I didn't find one.

Scattered info on a forum is frustrating, I'm a big fan of when topics get summarized all in one place. This is how stickies come to be.

Nicely put.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Quinn Lasser's Avatar
Quinn Lasser Quinn Lasser is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago area
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 174
Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Nicely put.
I fall into the category of also asking questions that have already been answered. So thanks for everyone's patience and for summing up "suspension" so beautifully in one thread.
__________________
2013- 335i X Delivered 10/31 - Halloween Treat!
2008 - Champagne colored 328i X - sold 10/19/12
2005 - 325i X Silver Bullet, gone but not forgotten
1994 - Present Jeeps
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,946
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
While we're at it, we might as well document the differences in other suspension parts such as the stabilizer bars/anti-roll bars...
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:38 AM
RobertaZ RobertaZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Ok.....for a Canadian dummy like me who needs to see things in black and white....

I drove a 2012 Coupe with M Suspension and loved the handling. The 2013 Sport Line is available with an optional sport suspension. Someone in a previous post said that the M suspension and Sport suspension are the same. Is that right? So, does that mean that the suspensions in both of these cars are identical?

Dazed and confused.

RobertaZ
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaZ View Post
Ok.....for a Canadian dummy like me who needs to see things in black and white....

I drove a 2012 Coupe with M Suspension and loved the handling. The 2013 Sport Line is available with an optional sport suspension. Someone in a previous post said that the M suspension and Sport suspension are the same. Is that right? So, does that mean that the suspensions in both of these cars are identical?

Dazed and confused.

RobertaZ
Yes. Black and white enough for you?

The official BMW ordering guide shows this. Both come with the 704 sport suspension.

If you want to know what actually is and isn't offered on the car you need to read the official BMW ordering guide for your country. The BMW website is not official and I know the US site is full of errors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Last edited by sean10mm; 12-08-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Black Lightning Black Lightning is offline
Registered User
Location: York, PA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 2000 Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Annnnnnnd... done.

Wow that was quick. Thanks sean10mm!

"All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models."

That is just ridiculous, in my humble opinion. When I think sport vs non-sport I always think of suspension, I really dislike it when car makers call a car "sport" just because it has different trim pieces and a nicer steering wheel... or whatever. Very common on much cheaper cars, surprised BMW is doing it.

Meh... no harm done I suppose

You need to keep in mind what you are asking for. You want a high performance, rear wheel driving machine from a premier market leader with an all-wheel drive option. There is certainly nothing wrong with this, I can understand you want improved grip in the winter months. But in choosing this option, don't then criticize BMW for making this option available. The suspension has to support an additional 200 pounds of weight for the "X" drive. If you choose the standard 328i or 335i, you can get the improved suspension, and investing money into decent "snows" instead of "X" will get you everything on your wish list. BMW's true driving experience is designed around their rear-wheel drive "i" versions of their sports sedans, no other manufacture can match it (including Audi IMHO). If you want "X" drive, their is a weight penalty, fuel efficiency penalty, and a suspension penalty. BMW modifies the car to provide you (the market for X drive) what they want, but it can't be the same as "i" drive cars.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
The only real problem with the suspension options for xdrive is that BMW's own website has bad information about it. It shows xdrive sport and m sport lines with the sport suspension (sometimes called "m sport" on the site, but it's the exact same thing as the sport suspension in the official BMW ordering guide, item code 704) when they don't actually have it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM
geeman geeman is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 06 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
For non-xDrive cars:

Sport and M Sport both get the same fixed 704 sport suspension standard. You can confirm this from the ordering guide. It has a 10mm drop and is stiffer.
All other lines get the base suspension standard, which is softer.
Changing driving modes doesn't change anything about any of the above suspensions. You can look under the car and see that nothing connects any of their suspension parts to the switch.
The Adaptive M suspension (which comes with the Dynamic Handling Package) replaces the other suspensions (the ordering guide explains this, adding Adaptive M deletes 704 if the car has it), has a 10mm drop, and adjusts stiffness based on the Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ setting.

For xDrive cars:

All xDrive cars regardless of line come with the base suspension standard, including Sport and M Sport models. You can confirm this in the ordering guide, Sport and M Sport lines for xDrive models don't include the 704 sport suspension like they do on non-xDrives.
The Adaptive M suspension (which comes with the Dynamic Handling Package) replaces the base suspension, does not have a 10mm drop on xDrive cars, and adjusts stiffness based on the Eco/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ setting.
Thanks sean10. So, just so that I'm clear and will beat this nearly dead horse, if I order a Lux model and add adaptive M suspension, I am getting 10mm lowering, bigger/stiffer sway bars, etc, basically all the 704 components + the adaptive technology and h/w too?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
voip-ninja's Avatar
voip-ninja voip-ninja is offline
Swedish Murder Machine
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,886
Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
Thanks sean10. So, just so that I'm clear and will beat this nearly dead horse, if I order a Lux model and add adaptive M suspension, I am getting 10mm lowering, bigger/stiffer sway bars, etc, basically all the 704 components + the adaptive technology and h/w too?
Yes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms