Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
Both, They're all sharks lol.

I was speaking about your counsel and how much of your settlement they would tax for fees.

If an atty neg a deal of 1.4 mill and takes 40% of it and you could have settled for a mill on your own.....

You know where I'm going you're a wise man.
Progressive is one of the slimiest insurers in the market.

Heres what I'd do. FIrst, I'd get the real diagnosis ICD9/10, etc, Whiplash isnt a medical conditon... the point it to act a bit educated. Your best deal, IMO will be to bluff them into a deal with their idea to avoid you getting an atty. If you went back to her and said "Ive had an initial consult with an atty. My bills total X, my time totals Y, I've bneen told that generally a reasonale settlement is 3x the medical losses... in speaking to the atty, they want me to go in for MRIs, and possibly nerve condusctions studies to ruke out nerve involvement. But I really dont want to be one of those people- so lets settle this for ___ and I'll not bothert with an atty"

SOmething like that.

Or go with the atty and get the same amount. Your scumbag atty will seek to sign you up, maybe get you anoterh medical opiniopn and close the case as quickly as they can. If they spend 4 hours and make 35% of 10k, or spend 140hrs on litigation, and make 35% of 40k, they;d rather get the $3500.

A
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Progressive is one of the slimiest insurers in the market.

Heres what I'd do. FIrst, I'd get the real diagnosis ICD9/10, etc, Whiplash isnt a medical conditon... the point it to act a bit educated. Your best deal, IMO will be to bluff them into a deal with their idea to avoid you getting an atty. If you went back to her and said "Ive had an initial consult with an atty. My bills total X, my time totals Y, I've bneen told that generally a reasonale settlement is 3x the medical losses... in speaking to the atty, they want me to go in for MRIs, and possibly nerve condusctions studies to ruke out nerve involvement. But I really dont want to be one of those people- so lets settle this for ___ and I'll not bothert with an atty"

SOmething like that.

Or go with the atty and get the same amount. Your scumbag atty will seek to sign you up, maybe get you anoterh medical opiniopn and close the case as quickly as they can. If they spend 4 hours and make 35% of 10k, or spend 140hrs on litigation, and make 35% of 40k, they;d rather get the $3500.

A
Yup, you don;t want a lawyer, you want them the ins company to think you don't need one.

Cat and mouse all the way to the cheese.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 386K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
I think BLT nailed it, I bet they didnt; tighten a wheel up.
It wasn't a Bimmer garage but a friend of mine got his car back from a brake job once and the calipers hadn't been tightened down. We discovered it before it did any damage but not good. Took it back and they went into major butt covering mode, never admitted to wrongdoing but did fix it. We got it back and I looked it over for any other space out screw ups.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. - Samuel Johnson
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
I've been in a similar situation before (lady ran a red light). I think I ended up with $12k but that was ages ago. Had mid-back pain for months from standing on the brakes while it happened. I'm thinking tensing up to stand on the brakes is saving a little damage to a car at the expense of damage to your spine.

I think I would have given the insurance comapny a number that covered my bills x2 for the trouble caused, and settle rather than let a lawyer get thousands of $ for filing paperwork. But if the insurance co. wouldn't settle for 2x damages, I guess I'd get a lawyer and go for 3x damages (to cover the lawyer's 35%)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
I don't understand why you're not going through YOUR insurance company and having them subrogate this with her company. That's why you pay your insurance company. They will happily go after her company to avoid paying you themselves and you don't have to pay for a lawyer, they'll use their own. This is assuming you have a good carrier.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
I don't understand why you're not going through YOUR insurance company and having them subrogate this with her company. That's why you pay your insurance company. They will happily go after her company to avoid paying you themselves and you don't have to pay for a lawyer, they'll use their own. This is assuming you have a good carrier.
in Colorado medical is covered by your own insurance - they don't go after the other. The rest is personal to me - my insurer doesn't pay for pain and suffering - to my knowledge, they never have or will... the other route is to sue the other driver and let the insurer get in the middle to pay it out.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!