Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Lol. Nothing like trying to sensationalize something. I have heard millions have bent in half just plugging them in.

All in all it's an awesome phone. It's solid as a rock, extremely fast, responsive and smooth. The only problem is the battery life- but I just plug it in for 30 minutes if needed- that gets an extra 30-40% charge.
Iphpne 5 takes 3-4 hours to fully charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
you could just turn off all the extra radios (wifi, gps, nfc, ...) and switch it to GSM.
If you take away all the bells and whistles, then you're really paying for nothing. Defeats the whole person of having anupscale phone. That's what I told Apple when they told me to leave the phone's brightness between 30%-40%, turn off the bells and whistles... I was like wtf is the use of the phone then
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Iphpne 5 takes 3-4 hours to fully charge

If you take away all the bells and whistles, then you're really paying for nothing. Defeats the whole person of having anupscale phone. That's what I told Apple when they told me to leave the phone's brightness between 30%-40%, turn off the bells and whistles... I was like wtf is the use of the phone then
My phone goes from 30% to 60%+ in about 30 minutes of charging. From less than 20% it takes 1.5hrs to get over 95%...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Quote:
My phone goes from 30% to 60%+ in about 30 minutes of charging. From less than 20% it takes 1.5hrs to get over 95%...

you must have the iphone 5 then. Mine is the iphone 5 though
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:

you must have the iphone 5 then. Mine is the iphone 5 though
Yes, it's a 5...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Even bigger dissapointment is the battery life.

...wonder if any improvements will be made in that department.

Nobody wants my new iphone 5 for their used 4S. What a crap-a-sh!t this phone is.
Color me shocked. LTE will rape your battery.

For the record, my S3 lasts much less than my iPhone 5.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Color me shocked. LTE will rape your battery.

For the record, my S3 lasts much less than my iPhone 5.
what is it that your phone is doing when you're not using it? or are you just using it as a flashlight 24/7
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
what is it that your phone is doing when you're not using it? or are you just using it as a flashlight 24/7

You have to understand that Audi boi is an i-whore and a Verizon-Whore..

That ought to explain everything from him
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
You have to understand that Audi boi is an i-whore and a Verizon-Whore..

That ought to explain everything from him
Spare me the bull****. I drive a BMW and VZW isn't even my carrier...

I've probably owned more iOS AND Androids than all of you, not to mention VAG products, so some could say I have the experience.

Unlike most of you idiots on here, I don't hate on something because it has an Apple logo on it or because it runs Google OS. That is the definition of a fanboy.

I prefer my S3 to my 5, but I wouldn't say the same thing about tablets. iPads are better than any Android tablet out there.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 12-06-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Nope. Poor battery management on Android.

My S3 is a my primary device and I prefer it to my iPhone, but it doesn't last a day. I carry about a USB battery pack in my backpack. Emails, GPS, music streaming rape the battery on my S3.

That being said, my (former) Note 2 lasted me thru a day easily, but it had a huge battery. Why can my iPhone 5 with a small battery last whole a day, but my S3 can't with a larger battery? Poor energy management.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Speaking of the iPhone, T-Mobile just announced they're getting it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2250966.html
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Why can my iPhone 5 with a small battery last whole a day, but my S3 can't with a larger battery? Poor energy management.
Screen size is a big factor. Screen is the number one energy consumer by far.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Speaking of the iPhone, T-Mobile just announced they're getting it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2250966.html
Actually this is a bigger news from the T-Mo news today:

Quote:
The carrier's current rate offering nets you a lower monthly tariff in exchange for an omitted device subsidy -- in other words, bring your own phone, and you'll pay less for service. The new strategy would make the company's voice and data lineup more competitive, particularly for subscribers who don't mind paying full sticker price for their handsets, bringing over an unlocked device from another carrier or financing your new phone for twenty months.
As for T-Mobile, this is THE way to distinguish itself in the marketplace. Some people don't care how long they use the phone for until they die, or just get a used one from eBay or craigslist to keep expenses low. It's not a new concept outside of the US, but I wonder why it's slow to catch-on in this country.

Last edited by Griffoun; 12-06-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
True... but a deal breaker for me is the lack of 4G at T-mobile.

BTW, it appears that Sprint just flipped-on the switch on 4G LTE between my haus and work. I have a steady lock on 4G LTE signal point-to-point.. WoooHooo!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
BTW, it appears that Sprint just flipped-on the switch on 4G LTE between my haus and work. I have a steady lock on 4G LTE signal point-to-point.. WoooHooo!!!
Awesome!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
As for T-Mobile, this is THE way to distinguish itself in the marketplace. Some people don't care how long they use the phone for until they die, or just get a used one from eBay or craigslist to keep expenses low. It's not a new concept outside of the US, but I wonder why it's slow to catch-on in this country.
They should leave that option up to the people, not just dump subsidies completely.

The average customer is going to wonder why an iPhone at the T-Mobile store is $649/749/849 versus over at AT&T/VZW/Sprint where it is $199/299/399. Let's not forget most people on T-Mobile are there for one reason only: to save money, which is why these value plans exist. Can these people afford to spend almost $700 on a shiny new iPhone?

Of course, you can get them off CL or eBay, but they won't completely support TMobile's "4G" network (AWS band) or their upcoming LTE network. T-Mobile's 3G is being refarmed to the 1900 band (like AT&T), but it won't be 100% done for a while.

Honestly, I think the best compromise might be a 1 year contract. Tech is moving way too fast to keep a phone for two years.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
T-mobile is going in the right direction with this. It is correcting a flaw in the boxed in thinking of paying $200 for a phone, sign a contract for two years, and then pay $20 extra per month that you are not aware of, to pay $480 in two years on top of the $200 you've already paid. Their phone ends up costing the customer close to the same price of a full price phone, PLUS, they lock you in for two years. All they do is giving the customer a concealed payment plan of two years.

They should probably add a service of unlocking other companies phones to be used by their network. Why not?

But I agree, they should give the customer two options. A full priced new phone with reduced monthly rate, and a $200 phone with higher monthly rates. They could even go a step further and call that a payment plan to unmask the BS practice of the other companies.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Nope. Poor battery management on Android.

My S3 is a my primary device and I prefer it to my iPhone, but it doesn't last a day. I carry about a USB battery pack in my backpack. Emails, GPS, music streaming rape the battery on my S3.

That being said, my (former) Note 2 lasted me thru a day easily, but it had a huge battery. Why can my iPhone 5 with a small battery last whole a day, but my S3 can't with a larger battery? Poor energy management.
Curious, why would one be streaming music and using GPS and expecting the battery to last? I've turned on my GPS maybe 5 times in 2 years with my android phone. You travel for work? Why the need for always on GPS?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Curious, why would one be streaming music and using GPS and expecting the battery to last? I've turned on my GPS maybe 5 times in 2 years with my android phone. You travel for work? Why the need for always on GPS?
I thought you're going to bring up Consumer Report's iPhone5 rating compared to other smartphones on each US carrier...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Red face

Quote:
Why would you turn off GPS? I have never turned off GPS/wifi/bt or anything. The phone should be able to manage what is needed...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Why would you turn off GPS? I have never turned off GPS/wifi/bt or anything. The phone should be able to manage what is needed...
What phone can do that without burning battery? Do not know of an Android phone where this is true.

I rarely, if ever turn on BT or GPS. My phone is rooted and the vast majority of apps/background services on my phone are off. I keep touchdown on and my dialer, plus a few other things my phone demands to run. When I'm home wifi is up as it pulls less than the network. Other than that it's cut down to the bone; what's essential is running. If not for the several hundred emails I get 24 hours a day I'm sure I'd get more than 2-3 days between charges.

Then again, unlike most here, I view my cell phone as an anchor tied to me, that hasn't stopped following me for close to 10 years. It's not a toy. It's a constant, harpy, reminding me of work.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What phone can do that without burning battery? Do not know of an Android phone where this is true.

I rarely, if ever turn on BT or GPS. My phone is rooted and the vast majority of apps/background services on my phone are off. I keep touchdown on and my dialer, plus a few other things my phone demands to run. When I'm home wifi is up as it pulls less than the network. Other than that it's cut down to the bone; what's essential is running. If not for the several hundred emails I get 24 hours a day I'm sure I'd get more than 2-3 days between charges.

Then again, unlike most here, I view my cell phone as an anchor tied to me, that hasn't stopped following me for close to 10 years. It's not a toy. It's a constant, harpy, reminding me of work.
Oh. I didn't realize you had to do that on an android. I have an iPhone 5. But through all of my iPhones I've never had to turn something off to save battery. I leave on LTE, BT, wifi etc all day.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Oh. I didn't realize you had to do that on an android. I have an iPhone 5. But through all of my iPhones I've never had to turn something off to save battery. I leave on LTE, BT, wifi etc all day.
Have you tried disabling to see if the battery life is better?

I really dig the iphone, but I would want to jail break it immediately as I do not like that I cannot disable everything on our ipad. Also, reviews of touchdown on os6 have been poor.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Have you tried disabling to see if the battery life is better?

I really dig the iphone, but I would want to jail break it immediately as I do not like that I cannot disable everything on our ipad. Also, reviews of touchdown on os6 have been poor.
I don't run it down enough to need to yet. Yesterday I had roughly 40 mins of talk (mostly BT), a few dozen texts, maybe 15 min of video on LTE, 1.5 hr of BT music streaming, an hr or so of game playing and maybe 1 hr of web surfing. I started with a full charge at 7am and by 11:30pm I was at 58%. Some days I go all the way down to 40% if there is a lot of video but normally I'm over 50%. It wasn't always this way, when I first got the phone the battery drained much faster, it seemed to get better after the first few weeks.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 AM

Just curious- what would you want to disable?

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Ever since I started using iPhones I've accepted that a daily charge is usually required though most days I could probably go 36 hours between (iPhone 5).

The turn by turn feature of apple or google maps does run the battery down somewhat fast but l leave all services turned on. My car has BT so enabling that on the phone each time would be a PITA.