Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
I'm 99.9% sure the owner of this thread drives 2011 750i only on this forum
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbimmer View Post
I am not sure what your point is.
I only had two points, the first of which was humor (notice the smiley), and the second of which was simply to bolster those who said it wasn't important at all to put premium gasoline in his vehicle.

Of course, I pointed the OP to the threads which actually discussed the pros and cons of using premium versus the better burning fuels at the lower octane rating, and even to the Gasoline FAQ which explains exactly what an anti-knock index indicates (hint: it has nothing to do with power, per se, nor of fuel economy, per se).

The OP asked for an opinion on how important premium is - and we all gave him an opinion. To me, gas is gas - but I 'do' fully and completely understand what an octane rating indicates (see the detail in the threads referenced) so I also fully understand those who say to put premium in the car.

Of course, if it knocks on the better gas (i.e., the lower octane fuel), then sure as Christmas, the OP needs to reconsider any of the advice provided ... yet ... if it doesn't knock on the better (i.e., lower octane) fuel, then all the advice given (both pro and con) should be taken into account.

Good luck to all!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ActiveHybrid 7 LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
I've never put cheap gas in my car, it's always Chevron and premium which doesn't contain ethanol.

And the car show "Fifth Gear" did a octane test and they found that higher octane does give you better mileage and performance but not all premium gas is the same which was interesting.
Agreed.....I even tested multiple premium gas, and swear that i could tell a difference with Chevron premium over the other brands....this was with my porsche twin turbo....to this day Chevron is always my first choice too.....
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
+3 For this reason I always try to fill up at Chevron although I dont think we can get any ethanol free gas in California.

OP might not damage anything during his ownership by using regular but the next owner will likely face the consequence.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .

Last edited by Expo BMW; 12-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.