Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: boat
hows the ride in the 5?

Hello folks, I just took order of a 3 series sport sedan with dynamic handling package. However the ride is not as soft as I was hoping for.

How is the ride in the 5 series compared to the 3?
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
Hello folks, I just took order of a 3 series sport sedan with dynamic handling package. However the ride is not as soft as I was hoping for.

When I am in my 5 (E60), I feel like a tank that could crush anything in my way. It feels substantial. The ride is softer and the car feels bigger. But it still turns pretty good (not as good as a 3). This is what I prefer, so I went with the F10 again (on order).

When I ride in my friend's 3 or when I get a 3 loaner, it feels much more stiff. The steering is definitely more stiff. You feel more of the road (e.g. bumps and movements). It doesn't feel nearly as substantial, either. This is what my friend prefers. So each person is different.

It sounds like you might be a better fit for a 5.

-Corey
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I haven't driven the F30 but my wife did have an E92 and the F10's ride is much softer even in Sport+ mode compared to the E92. If the F30's ride is anything close to the E92, then the F10 will drive like a Lincoln Town Car for you. Many folks who complain about the soft handling of the F10 are usually those who had E90s/E92s/E60s. Folks like the go kart feel of the 3. I personally like the handling of the F10. I myself would not classify it as soft but more of a luxurious ride. However, Sport+ does make things fun. The 2013 F10 M Sport Pack now comes with M Suspension. I have the dampers so don't know how much difference the M Suspension changes the ride. You should go test drive an F10 for yourself just to compare. We all have different perceptions of ride quality.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 12-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Ride is compliant on the 528 and 535. it is much, much better than the 3 series. it's softer than the E60, but IMO from my 2011 F10 535xi there was not that big of a differece. the car was comfortable. i traded and went wit the 550xi with sport (not an M-sport) with it's adjustable suspension settings and the car is extremely comfortable.

from a person with a bad back, and a bunch of joint problems, the F10 is comfortable. I wouldn't get it though without comfort seats.

good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 AM

Can you guys give me some clarification on something. With the 3 series x drive, in order for the suspension to actually change between comfort mode/sport mode I had to add the dynamic handling package. If I didnt the only thing that would actually change is the steering/throttle response/drive train.

With the 535xi Do I have to add on the Dynamic Handling Package for the suspension to actually adjust? Or does it have the ability to do this without DHP

What is the difference between the getting the DHP on the 5 series (includes Adaptive Drive) what is this? and just getting the Dynamic Damper Control as an option.

I do plan to get the M sport package in order to get the paddle shift transmission. Does the 19inch wheels make you feel the road that much more?

Does anyone think the 5 series will be getting a new look any time soon?

Last edited by wayner44; 12-07-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport
"Does anyone think the 5 series will be getting a new look any time soon?"

There are some slight cosmetic changes in the works.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/10/26/sp...ries-facelift/
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM

The summer of 2013 or 14?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Can you guys give me some clarification on something. With the 3 series x drive, in order for the suspension to actually change between comfort mode/sport mode I had to add the dynamic handling package. If I didnt the only thing that would actually change is the steering/throttle response/drive train.

With the 535xi Do I have to add on the Dynamic Handling Package for the suspension to actually adjust? Or does it have the ability to do this without DHP

What is the difference between the getting the DHP on the 5 series (includes Adaptive Drive) what is this? and just getting the Dynamic Damper Control as an option.

I do plan to get the M sport package in order to get the paddle shift transmission. Does the 19inch wheels make you feel the road that much more?

Does anyone think the 5 series will be getting a new look any time soon?
You need the dynamic handling package in the 5 series to get adjustable suspension as well, but the dynamic handling package in the 5 series adds Dynamic Damper Control and Active Roll Stabilization. The Dynamic Damper Control option does not come with Active Roll bars. The 19" wheels has a pretty comfortable ride. We test drove a F30 base line a few months ago and the F30 have gotten much softer as well. Overall, the F10 is still a more comfortable car, if you add all the suspension options, it will handle very nicely. The good part about the F10 is that it can also be a comfortable high cruiser when you want it to be.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
You need Dynamic Damper Control to be able to adjust the suspension. This is available as a stand-alone option for $1,000 or as part of the Dynamic Handling Package for $3,500.

Quote:
The Dynamic Damper Control option only gives you Dynamic Damper Control, which is the adjustable suspension.

The Dynamic Handling Package gives you Dynamic Damper Control and Active Drive. Active Drive adds the Active Roll Stabilization feature. The best way to explain Active Roll Stabilization is to first understand what a roll stabilizing bar is.

Most cars, at least sports cars, come with a roll stabilizing bar. This is a torsion bar that connects the left and right wheel so that when you turn sharply and the outside wheel of the turn compresses into the body of the car, rather than allow the car to roll to the outside of the turn, the stabilizing bar will transfer this compression from the outside wheel to the inside wheel. This keeps the car from leaning heavily during the turn.

However, the downside of a roll stabilizing bar is that it makes the general ride of the car stiffer. If you are going straight and go over a bump on one wheel, because there is compression when you go over the bump, the compression is transferred to the other wheel even though you are not turning. This makes for a stiffer and less comfortable ride.

So cars that only have a roll stabilizing bar are tweaked by the manufacturer to give the best balance between avoiding body roll during a turn and still providing a comfortable ride. Some manufacturers are better at this than others, which is why cars differ in their ability to turn and also provide comfort.

With Active Roll Stabilization, rather than the roll stabilizing bar always connecting the two wheels, there is a mechanical unit in the middle that can, in real-time, connect or disconnect the two wheels from roll stabilization. This means that if you are going straight, you get a nice supple ride because the compression of one wheel from a bump does not translate to the other wheel. Then when you hit a corner hard, the mechanical unit in the middle connects the two side of the torsion bar and the car then takes advantage of maximum roll stabilization (transfers a lot of the compression from one wheel to the other) to keep the car from leaning.

With the Active Roll Stabilization feature, you will get better cornering with less roll while still getting a comfortable ride. It's a $2,500 feature, so be sure you really enjoy cornering hard in your BMW or you will not need the feature.

Quote:
More important than 19" vs. 18" are run flat tires vs. non-run flat tires. Changing out the run flats for non-run flats will generally make the ride more comfortable. I have not felt a different between the two in terms of feeling the road through the steering wheel.

-Corey

Last edited by cordoor; 12-07-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:

You won't be disappointed, but you should get the dynamic handling option as well, and probably active roll stabilization too. Steer clear of the M5 though given your tastes.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I actually like the ride in the new M-Sport suspension. Not too soft - I suggest you drive with and without M-Sport to see which one you like.
2008 335i (Retired)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Looks like I wont be getting a 5 series until three years from now. My dealer said I would not be able to upgrade my lease to a five series and cancel the 3 series.

Bummer...
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Sorry to hear. That's one of the disadvantages of leasing.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Quote:
Looks like I wont be getting a 5 series until three years from now. My dealer said I would not be able to upgrade my lease to a five series and cancel the 3 series.

Bummer...
That's not quite true: same as with purchase you can trade in your leased car (with negative equity) and either cover negative equity with cash or try to roll it into new lease.

But, same as with purchase actually, as soon as you drove off from dealership the price of your car dropped as the rock and it will be "used" car with "used car" value.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:

Bummer...
If the car is quite new you should try to transfer the lease and throw in an incentive, instead of tolerating the car for 3 years.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildvlad View Post
That's not quite true: same as with purchase you can trade in your leased car (with negative equity) and either cover negative equity with cash or try to roll it into new lease.

But, same as with purchase actually, as soon as you drove off from dealership the price of your car dropped as the rock and it will be "used" car with "used car" value.
Good point.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
Good point.
The only extra hit on the lease is that you have to pay "finance" charges until end of the lease.
So finding someone to take over the lease as jagu mentioned may be cheaper option.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM

I will use it until the new facelift comes out. Still dont know if it is summer of 2013 or 2014. The I will try swapalease.com
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
I will use it until the new facelift comes out. Still dont know if it is summer of 2013 or 2014. The I will try swapalease.com
Summer 2013.

Good luck. I really wanted to buy an F10. I drove one and it felt like a floaty boat. Ended up going with an F30h + Dynamic Handling Package. That's more like it!!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535
1 week old 535 w/ M Package. Compared to my 2010 528 its like driving a Lexus.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:

Bummer...

Didn't you test drive the 3 series before signing up for a three year lease?

I'm beginning to feel that nobody does a test drive anymore.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
Didn't you test drive the 3 series before signing up for a three year lease?

I'm beginning to feel that nobody does a test drive anymore.
Those quick test drives don't give you the full picture. I will try to rent a car from Budget for a day before I buy my next car.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 AM

My car still had the effin shipping blocks on them. I have removed them and the car actually absorbs a pot hole now...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7241482