Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
F30 radio DOES supports MTP based USB android devices

so this tends to not work on a lot of cars , and even computers. I had read the F30 didn't support the galaxy nexus which is MTP (usually talking about 2012 model year cars, so maybe needs a firmware) but tried it anyway.

Most newer android phones when they are connected by USB either the internal memory or all the memory is read as an MTP "media device" not a USB flash drive (usb mass storage). On older cars that have USB flash drive reading they generally cannot read MTP.

I tried my new droid razr M on the F30. Razr M lost its USB mass storage with the upgrade to android 4.1 from 4.0. Anyway it works great!

I know this doesn't work on E90 cars, but it does on the F30. so if you have a galaxy S3, or razr, or galaxy nexus , nexus 4 or countless other android devices you can play them via a USB cable in the arm rest and control it via iDrive like any other device instead of having to use say A2DP (especially nice if you know you dont have A2DP which is only on BMW assist like me).

So FYI to anyone who wanted to know.
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
so this tends to not work on a lot of cars , and even computers. I had read the F30 didn't support the galaxy nexus which is MTP (usually talking about 2012 model year cars, so maybe needs a firmware) but tried it anyway.

Most newer android phones when they are connected by USB either the internal memory or all the memory is read as an MTP "media device" not a USB flash drive (usb mass storage). On older cars that have USB flash drive reading they generally cannot read MTP.

I tried my new droid razr M on the F30. Razr M lost its USB mass storage with the upgrade to android 4.1 from 4.0. Anyway it works great!

I know this doesn't work on E90 cars, but it does on the F30. so if you have a galaxy S3, or razr, or galaxy nexus , nexus 4 or countless other android devices you can play them via a USB cable in the arm rest and control it via iDrive like any other device instead of having to use say A2DP (especially nice if you know you dont have A2DP which is only on BMW assist like me).

So FYI to anyone who wanted to know.
I just bought a 2013 X3 and am struggling with this feature a bit. I have a Nexus 4 and can connect it to the iDrive via USB. But it can't find the music folder on my phone. I have downloaded songs on my phone but the iDrive doesn't seem to recognize the files. Am I missing something?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Mine only works with USB debugging on I forgot to add. So try turning that on
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Don't know if my previous reply went through.
I turned USB debugging on. The idrive can display folders. But it starts playing various navigation commands.it can't read the music.
What folder does your phone store the music in?
My phone seems to be storing it in the cache folder. Don't know if that is the problem.