Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Garage Door Opener

Hello

I have just taken delivery of a brand new 2013 X1 and I could not be more happy with it. I do have one issue, although it has nothing to do with the car as such, I can't get it to open my garage door. I wasn't too surprised as it never worked with my TXS. I am thinking of updating my door opener (its very old) but want to make sure that it is going to work with my X1. I know if I ask a door opener salesperson they will say "yes of course it will work" so I thought it best to ask here.

Anyone know of a good make a model that will work with the X1?

Thanks
Keith
Ads by Google
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Check out the home link website:

Https://secure.homelink.com

That should take you to a link that has universal repeaters that are designed to work with older openers and brand spanking new ones that have a new form of rolling code technology. In addition they have some good PDF files in compatibility. I remember I ended up going to this website to actually figure out programming both of my cars built in remotes.

I believe on the brand new openers if it has a yellow antenna wire you need the repeater kit vs openers (like mine) that is brown with the purple learn button. I know my 6 year old lift master by chamberlain (same as craftsman and a few others) works fine out of the box.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
My opener is 10 years old and I tried to program. It appeared to take it according to the flashing lights, but nothing happens. Maybe I'm just not understanding the directions. It works in my x's car so I know it can be done.

2013 X1 x28i
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
BMWs work fine with Sears Craftsman garage door openers. We have two BMW's. No problems with either one. Just strictly follow the programming instructions in the Owner's manual including pairing to one of the opener's remote, then to the garage door opener itself (assuming you are using a rolling code opener).
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM

Yes, it is Sears. I will try again.. Thx

2013 X1 x28i
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: BMW X1 (soon!) and Lexus
I just tried to program the garage door opener on my X1, purchased yesterday. I am going to have to wait for my partner to wake up, because my garage door device has the "alternating codes," and the owner's manual directions make it clear you really need two people.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Mullini

Update - I managed to set my X1's "homelink" following the garage door opener's instructions. This is for an "alternating code" model. But let me get this straight - on the BMW, it only works when the car is on? In my Lexus the HomeLink works, off or on.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
But let me get this straight - on the BMW, it only works when the car is on?
Correct
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Mullini

I guess I don't mind that the garage transmitter in the BMW only works with the engine on. That is how it is primarily used. Sometimes when i visit my parents, after parking I discover no one is home, probably gone on short errand, and I enter through their garage, which I also set on my Lexus HomeLink. So I just go back to my Lexus and press the button for their garage. Now in the X1 I'll have to start the car. Not that big a deal...
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.ashburngaraged

Mein Auto: bmw
ashburn garage door

Hello!garage door is important to us because it can helps the buyer.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Wow,, these questions are interesting...... I haven't set mine yet, I only own the car for 6 days. X1 x28i. Anyway, as I read the comments listed to my husband we had to laugh. He has a 2013 GMC PU, and we programmed his opener, and yes it was a little difficult....however,,you do need two people. This, we think is the first for any NEW vehicle we've owned. We will tackle it this week- end,,, hope it isn't too tedious in my X1
Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
BS on the 2 people requirement.
1. Engine does NOT have to be running but car must be completely "awake". IOW, press the start button WITHOUT your foot on the brake. Car will wake up and engine will NOT start
2. Press the two outside buttons on the bottom of the mirror until the red led flashes.
3. Release the 2 buttons.
4. Press your button of choice on the mirror and the button on your portable garage door opener device simultaneously whilst holding the portable garage door opener about 1" away from the mirror. Keep buttons pressed until the red LED flashes rapidly. Release both buttons. You now have 30 seconds to complete step 4 & 5. It's easy so don't feel the need to rush.
4. Get out of car and press the "learn" button on the back of the garage door opener motor.
5. Return to the car and press the button of choice on your mirror 3 times. Sometimes it only needs to be pressed 2 times.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch

Last edited by HBWT; 12-07-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM

Okay,,, sounds easy, I guess we won't need to spend a lot of time on this....... Thank you for all the info, we will get on it this week-end, then take a long ride to break it in. Also,,, my husbands truck came with AUTO START, he is a little disappointed
The BMW didn't come with it. I would have liked that also, living in Idaho it would be nice. However, I'm enjoying
MY X1, and so far not disappointed,, we'll soon find out, just needing to take it out and break it in.
PS: I can't keep my husband out of it.... Geeeeeez!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Smile HWBT gives the best directions ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
BS on the 2 people requirement.
1. Engine does NOT have to be running but car must be completely "awake". IOW, press the start button WITHOUT your foot on the brake. Car will wake up and engine will NOT start
2. Press the two outside buttons on the bottom of the mirror until the red led flashes.
3. Release the 2 buttons.
4. Press your button of choice on the mirror and the button on your portable garage door opener device simultaneously whilst holding the portable garage door opener about 1" away from the mirror. Keep buttons pressed until the red LED flashes rapidly. Release both buttons. You now have 30 seconds to complete step 4 & 5. It's easy so don't feel the need to rush.
4. Get out of car and press the "learn" button on the back of the garage door opener motor.
5. Return to the car and press the button of choice on your mirror 3 times. Sometimes it only needs to be pressed 2 times.
These are the best directions bar none. I programmed my remote in under a minute and without need of any assistance.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: X1 M Sport
Save the option money and used the opener that came with the garage door.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Features of Better Openers

Rolling codes have been around for at least 15 years. As for training, many of the better door openers allow you to train your opener at the wall button panel, thereby eliminating the need to climb a ladder, press buttons on the motor or have an assistant. My five year old Chamberlin (Sears Craftsman) has all of these features making programming an easy job, once you decipher the BMW manual.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Focus
Remotes

Quote:
BMWs work fine with Sears Craftsman garage door openers
-
I think original Craftsman garage door opener remotes are preferable.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 xdrive X1 2.8
BMW Genius

The garage door opener video on this app is good!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 991 C2S Porsche
Park in the street...
Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I guess I don't mind that the garage transmitter in the BMW only works with the engine on.
If it worked with the engine off, someone could bust into your vehicle in the driveway, hit the opener button and then be in your house as well as your vehicle.