Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: Crimson 335Is convertible
We also passed on the tire warranty though BMW. However, we did purchase a warranty from Americas Tire Co. It was somewhere in the $250 range. It is not advertised that they do this on tires that were not purchased through them, but were told when we replaced a bubbled tire on our previous BMW.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i
I'm feeling fairly ripped-off...I bought the BMW Tire & Wheel protection on a used E91 I recently purchased...costing me $40/month or $2400 over the next 5 years. I can replace all of the tires multiple times for that!

Going to see if I can can cancel the policy...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwswag View Post
I took delivery and did not sign up for the Tire and Wheel protection offered at the dealership. It was running $1500 for 5 year warranty. I was wondering if I can purchase something similar elsewhere.
From what I can see on your options, you have xDrive without m-sport. So, I am assuming you 16" or maybe 17" all seasons at every corner?

In that case, I suggest you can pass on the tire warranty altogether. Despite the horror stories you read here, and you get from your dealer, you are not going to be particularly likely to damage a wheel of that size in normal driving. Of course, accidents are called accidents because they are unexpected. But, the odds are in your favor.

Depending on where you live and all, flats are always going to be an issue. But, RFTs are actually easily repairable if the pucture is not near the sidewall. I've had two nails removed during my four years of ownership with zero problems afterwards.

And, worst comes to worst, you can get a replacement on tirerack for $150 to $200, depending on the type of tire you want.

Don't worry about it. Put the money in the bank and self-insure.

Not that one person's experience should shape your choices, but I live in LA with craptastic roads, heavy driving, and I do a lot of driving on rough roads because I am a hiker and cyclist. I've had zero problems, passed on the tire warranty, and would do it again.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 03-21-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
We just bought a 2011 328ix with 17" rims. The dealer is asking $1050 for the tire and wheel insurance. I have driven a few car with 45 profile tires around here in Boston and so far so good. I am leaning toward not buying the T&W insurance.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
The following long term review of the 5 series by Road and Track was eye opening to me with respect to the issues with the wheels. Of course the 5 series is a different vehicle than the 3 series (weight, suspension, etc.)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Oscar
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe M Sport
Hi all,

I greatly appreicate all the information in this thread. I just bought a 2009 335i M Sport with 18" wheels and run-flats. They offered me a plan for 5 years $1900, which, from reading this thread, seems off-the-charts expensive. I have 30 days to cancel, and I can cancel after 30 days but for a pro-rated refund. Given the cost of tires on Ture Rack: $241/$316, it seems like a bad deal. I don't know the cost of the factory wheels, but similar looking wheels for this model and year are priced around $150 - $200 each. Again, the math just doesn't work out at this price, unless I am cracking rims and getting flats at a remakrable rate. I welcome your comments.

The passing lane is for passing. Pay attention. Be safe. Be courteous. Respect.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliv View Post
I greatly appreicate all the information in this thread. I just bought a 2009 335i M Sport with 18" wheels and run-flats. They offered me a plan for 5 years $1900, which, from reading this thread, seems off-the-charts expensive.
I would seriously look at renegotiating this if possible. I paid $1045 for a five year plan in September on my 2010 335i Msport E93 CPO with 18" wheels with RFTs. Six weeks into it I had a rear flat; would have been a $500.34 repair instead of a $50 deductible.

Some considerations when looking at these insurance plans is: how much do you drive and on what sort of road conditions, how long do you expect to keep the car, do you think you'll switch to non BMW wheels and/or tires not used by BMW, how easy is it to get to a BMW dealer vs third party, and would you consider patching vs. replacing if appropriate.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-07-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe M Sport
Is BMW Tire and Wheel Protection worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
I would seriously look at renegotiating this if possible. I paid $1045 for a five year plan in September on my 2010 335i Msport E93 CPO with 18" wheels with RFTs. Six weeks into it I had a rear flat; would have been a $500.34 repair instead of a $50 deductible.

Some considerations when looking at these insurance plans is: how much do you drive and on what sort of road conditions, how long do you expect to keep the car, do you think you'll switch to non BMW wheels and/or tires not used by BMW, how easy is it to get to a BMW dealer vs third party, and would you consider patching vs. replacing if appropriate.
Thanks for this info. It will help me to renegotiate, if possible.

The passing lane is for passing. Pay attention. Be safe. Be courteous. Respect.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM
G money

Mein Auto: honda
Run Flat Tires

Hi,

I have a 2011 335Is. Love the car HATE the tires. I purchased the wheel protection plan from BMW for three years of the lease for $1,300. I have had to replace two tires in the past year at a cost of $450 a tire, which was covered. My mechanic told me to take out the policy as he told me he had just replaced another customers tire and rim for $1,300.
I have been driving on the Pallisades Parkway for 22 years and have never had to replace a tire or have gotten a flat. As the tires are performance I also had to purchase 4 snow tire. These are noisy and makes the car handle terribly.
I don't understand how they have gotten everything else right on the car but can't get their act together with the tires.