Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
I make money off owners of cars without Bluetooth, Nav, USB and all the tech options that previous owners or the dealership skipped when the car was sold. And the retrofit business is good. That's all the proof that I need.

Cars equipment reality changed about 4 years ago. An used car will take longer to sell if it lacks the basics- that's the only reason BMW added USB and Bluetooth as standard equipment after years of nickel and dime-ing customers to death, as even new cars are hard to sell without the basics. And Nav is becoming a must have.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BMW-est View Post
So if you don't care about the 328, how are you qualified to make broad empirical assumptions on the priorities of buyers without "real metrics?" I'll just stick to my subjective analysis, since it is at least based on real-world observations. The 3 series is as common as the Honda Accord in most places I've lived so I'm basing conclusions on a large sample.
I hope your subjective analysis helps you sell your car quickly, if you ordered it without Nav.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: F30 Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I hope your subjective analysis helps you sell your car quickly, if you ordered it without Nav.
I have the tech package. As much as I move I need it - no issues here!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I would not buy this type of car without a NAV - ever, I do not think I am the only one who feels this way.

This is the most uneducated statement I have ever seen. You arejust completely misinformed.

In a BMW a 59% residual is a 59% residual. Be it a base car at 45K, or a fully loaded car at 60K. 59% is and always will be 59%.

i just bought a bmw. i didn't lease it. but they do account for the depreciation of options which tend to depreciate more than a base car more.

I was making more ofa general statement. I just sold my audi. The residuals for heavily options "prestige" cars are lower on audis, that premium plus, which is lower still than premium.

That said, I guess BMW does it different.

On the other hand if they give you a good lease residual and you pay for it up front, then I guess bmw is just making money on everyone to subsidize those that option up their cars.

If you look at used car prices, nav equipped cars do not sell for significantly more. check KBB or something. I just carmax'd my car. They i'm assuming go by a formula as to what is a "must have" feature or not. and the difference between a nav and non nav car was like $400. and they took my car either way. So i'd assume based on that nav is not a very big deal when selling a car.

Maybe i'm crazy and somehow no one will buy a non nav car 3-4 years from now. But i'm expecting people who buy used cars, will like me be perfectly willing to buy a nav less car and just use a phone or a portable given unless you are some salesman or realtor you don't really even use nav every day. and more and more people will have smartphones in the future.

I guess you can feel great you blew $3000 for nav new, and I'll keep my money and deal with the consequences of selling my nav less F30. I am in fact so afraid of not being able to sell it that i am now having an anxiety attack.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
I use my $99 Garmin and thus far have been perfectly happy. Never owned NAV in my previous E46 or current E90 - and on the fence about getting it for my F30 purchase. I certainly don't think it's a must-have option as there are alternatives (like the Garmin, Iphone, Android, etc). It might be must have for other parts of the tech package though.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Our last two BMWs didn't have Navigation and that was fine with me. I prefer the old fashioned way of looking at a map and seeing the whole picture, not just some small scrap of a map that I have to play with just to see where I am and where I'm going. But having said that this car has the Tech package and even though I'm not using the navigation every day, in the long run, its better to have the option than not to have the option. But I do get it when people say they don't need or want it and their phone does the same thing.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i just bought a bmw. i didn't lease it. but they do account for the depreciation of options which tend to depreciate more than a base car more.

I was making more ofa general statement. I just sold my audi. The residuals for heavily options "prestige" cars are lower on audis, that premium plus, which is lower still than premium.

That said, I guess BMW does it different.

On the other hand if they give you a good lease residual and you pay for it up front, then I guess bmw is just making money on everyone to subsidize those that option up their cars.

If you look at used car prices, nav equipped cars do not sell for significantly more. check KBB or something. I just carmax'd my car. They i'm assuming go by a formula as to what is a "must have" feature or not. and the difference between a nav and non nav car was like $400. and they took my car either way. So i'd assume based on that nav is not a very big deal when selling a car.

Maybe i'm crazy and somehow no one will buy a non nav car 3-4 years from now. But i'm expecting people who buy used cars, will like me be perfectly willing to buy a nav less car and just use a phone or a portable given unless you are some salesman or realtor you don't really even use nav every day. and more and more people will have smartphones in the future.

I guess you can feel great you blew $3000 for nav new, and I'll keep my money and deal with the consequences of selling my nav less F30. I am in fact so afraid of not being able to sell it that i am now having an anxiety attack.

The Nav is only 2k of that package. The other bits and bobs you get in the tech package are worth the 3k extra in my eyes. Whether you use the nav regularly or not there are times when cell phones dont have service and your car will still be able to get you home.

To each their own for now and for the next five years. 7 years from now every car on the used car lots will have NAV. Even the most affordable cars are starting to have NAV as an option or standard in some cases.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
This must be a cyclic discussion, I remember some of the same points back in in '06, I think we will be revisiting this in 2018. Assuming the apocalypse doesn't occur in 2 weeks.

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 12-07-2012 at 09:27 AM.