Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530I
Thanks. Actually, it turns my mechanic can do it. The confusion came when I was talking to somebody from his shop the person told me they don't do it and I have to go to the dealer...
In any case, I wish that was the only problem with the car... but this is already topic for another thread.

Best, M
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
As a thought, maybe now is a good time to switch to the forum for your car being that it's not an E39, but just one question. How long have you owned this car and did you have at checked-out before you bought it? Is it your E39 that has the problem or the 6 series? maybe I misunderstood by the part you were looking at.. You are welcome anywhere, but this problem..it is with the 5 series E39 or the early 6 series? The module rebuild you were looking at ...well, I was not aware it fit all the cars you mentioned AND the E39??

Last edited by 540iman; 12-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
As a thought, maybe now is a good time to switch to the forum for your car being that it's not an E39?
Wow. I didn't even realize this.

I think the OP has worse problems though, based on a new thread from him today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Internal leak

I would fix the head gasket or cracked block before even touching the ABS.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530I
Quote:
As a thought, maybe now is a good time to switch to the forum for your car being that it's not an E39, but just one question. How long have you owned this car and did you have at checked-out before you bought it? Is it your E39 that has the problem or the 6 series? maybe I misunderstood by the part you were looking at.. You are welcome anywhere, but this problem..it is with the 5 series E39 or the early 6 series? The module rebuild you were looking at ...well, I was not aware it fit all the cars you mentioned AND the E39??
Ah, sorry for the confusion. When I joined the forum I had 635CSI, but since then I got 2001 530I E39, as I stated in the beginning of the thread. In any case, thanks for pointing it out--I changed the profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Wow. I didn't even realize this.

I think the OP has worse problems though, based on a new thread from him today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Internal leak

I would fix the head gasket or cracked block before even touching the ABS.
It is overdue for registration. It would not pass the test with ABS lights on.

Best, M
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
It is overdue for registration. It would not pass the test with ABS lights on.
Ah. I see. I had exactly the same problem.

Just don't make the mistake I made of going to the inspection station the day after repairing the ABS control module!

- Failed smog due to bogus P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction after repairing ABS control module

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
resident, old fart

Should have cleared if you used a tool that would clear errors and not just read them.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Should have cleared if you used a tool that would clear errors and not just read them.
Ah, but I didn't even KNOW that this error existed, as there was no engine light and nobody had warned me prior.

Plus, even if I had cleared it, I would still have had to wait for the FTP cycle to be completed, so that the monitors were filled (as California will fail you if too many monitors are not ready).

So that's why I'm warning the OP (I don't want him to have to pay twice for two inspections, like I did, because of a bogus failure).

Luckily, the bogus failure afforded me the opportunity to check emissions under two gasoline conditions (so I got 'something' out of my money paid for the bogus results):
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
resident, old fart

Wow, I did not know you had an ABS error with no lights whatsoever. I lived in Whittier for 5 years and don't really know of the FTP cycle you speak of. When I was living in California, you could go to certain mechanics who were licensed to give the emmission test. I had a 68 Chevelle SS with a crate LS7 454 which ran on 100 octane LL gas and it passed so you knowe they would do a lot of stuff to get you through. In did not recall you did not have a SES light or maybe you had the brake lights, but no SES lights? Not sure I understand the FTP risk and so forth. You had no clue of an issue until you failed the test? What did you do between tests to pass? I'm sure you talked about it, but I forgot :-(