Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 320d ed
Angry F30 steering rack failed

Hi all I have a 320d ed manufactured May/June 2012 I have covered nearly 8k. Two weeks ago whilst taking my wife to work early on a dark morning in very heavy rain we ran over a bollard which had been hit by a van or lorry and left in the road a few minutes before I arrived it looked like a coke bottle in the poor viability I could not go round it as it was in a traffic calming area where it is one car width so I went over it.the bollard went under the bumper without touching it so it was not very big but it lodged under the the car and i stopped within 10 yards as it was making a horrible scrapping noise.I reversed and it came out.Then the flat Tyre monitor said I had a flat and the stability control had malfunctioned and I was to get the car to a BMW garage.I got out to have a look and did not have a flat Tyre so now not sure what to do I thought id see if the car drove OK it did until I turned the steering wheel the best way I can describe the noise was as if I was driving round the corner without Tyre's on the wheels It did steer and was still assisted I got my wife to work and called the Insurance Co who got me a courtesy car they took the car away.The next day they called me to say that the rack had gone (1250) but it was on back order until the end of December 2012 I thought this was a bit of a long time and the guy said jokingly that perhaps they have problem with them.

Today I got a call from the Bodyshop the guy said he had removed the Steering rack and could find no sign of accident or external damage but the rack had failed.He then contacted the local BMW dealer and the guy there said he had four or five F30s sitting outside with failed steering racks and they will not be able to get any racks until mid January he also thinks it may become a Recall although this is not in any way official first BMW has to admit there is a problem.So I may not be dealing with an insurance claim but a warranty claim not sure where that leaves me as who pays for the hire car and work the Bodyshop carried out so far.Will keep you all updated.

Last edited by davesweet; 12-07-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typos
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
If it's a warranty item you'll be paying the rental out of pocket or is the dealership expected to provide you with a loaner?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

I have a car that cant be driven due to a fault they will have to provide me with a car until they fix it. they will have to pay for the car I have had for two weeks and for work done.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Whew. I almost passed out reading that post.

Do they not have paragraphs in the UK?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Indeed we Do that was one Paragraph lol Or is it pure laziness?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: Z3, F30 320d Sport
Any developments on this?.... my 320d has been in at the dealers for 2 weeks now, they still can't give me a date at to when the new steering rack will arrive. All they get from Germany was " wait another 2 weeks and contact them again for an eta"!!

*** paragraph ***

Can they really do this? I know Germans can be arrogant at times but this is unbelievable!!