Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Summers in Winter

Ok, so I'm well aware I should NEVER run summer tires in winter... My all seasons OEMs just got to the point they can be replaced, I'm wondering if some Super Sports could make it till summer as we haven't had any really accumulation in almost 2 years and I realllllly want to see how they run. Anyone else have thoughts around this area

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
From my experience in TEXAS, it appeared safe to run the summers in cold temperatures. We had many mornings in the 20s and the tires never felt unsafe. Did I ever need to make an emergency stop? No, and I'm sure if you had to, the summers would yield a longer stopping distance than an A/S or winter would. However, I accounted and kept distances when the temps were cool in the morning and never had an issue.

Ran them some in wet weather (though no snow or ice) and they still seemed reasonable grippy. Again, I wouldn't push the car and keep in mind that if you had to do any hard braking, you certainly would need a longer distance to stop than in warmer temps.

I ran my summers once in a snow event. Let me tell you, that is when the wheels fall off. There is literally no grip. It was unsafe and I never did drive them again in snow.

So in short, my recommendation is that while summers are not good in cold temps, they are reasonable safe if you adjust your driving style and take the risk that when you need highest performance (such as an emergency braking situation), you may be at a disadvantage. However, if you expect any kind of snow or ice, they are completely unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
you have two issues running summer tires in the winter.

1) tread design-- very little siping = poor/nonexistant snow traction
2) tread compound-- below 45F summer compound becomes hard and has poor grip in the dry and very poor grip in the wet.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...etyBelow45.jsp

ultimately, you need to decide if you want to run the risk.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Yeah from those two posts I'm guessing no we could easily get an inch or two and that isn't worth it, plus I have been known to drive unsafely and need to emergency stop so that is a side note I wasn't aware of. Back to the contis

Last edited by SuperTerp; 12-07-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
You live in the mid-atlantic. Yes, last year was a rare, snowless winter. But, even if we have another below average snowfall winter, you could still very easily get a few small storms. If you even attempt to drive 10 feet in a dusting of snow, you're totally screwed. I once attempted to drive my old RSX with summer tires on a snow packed road. The snow wasn't deep, rather it was packed after being driving on for a day (I guess they were too lazy to plow). Anyway, it was the scariest experience of my life. I literally ran two red lights, flashing my lights and honking my horn to warn people because I could NOT stop. I was going 15 mph, had at least 100 feet to stop and the car had ZERO traction. Another time, I slide off the side of the road. The road was perfectly straight. I literally slide down to the right due to the slight road crown, nothing more.

Sure, if it's dry, you can get by with summers. They are pretty scary in the cold and wet. Add one flake of snow and you're screwed. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Sport A7 wheels and Fusion UHP all season tires are $644 + shipping on Tire Rack right now.

Cheaper than even a small bump

Kumho Ecsta 4X are not much more - they are decent all seasons and on both my 'sporty cars'

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 12-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
You live in the mid-atlantic. Yes, last year was a rare, snowless winter. But, even if we have another below average snowfall winter, you could still very easily get a few small storms. If you even attempt to drive 10 feet in a dusting of snow, you're totally screwed. I once attempted to drive my old RSX with summer tires on a snow packed road. The snow wasn't deep, rather it was packed after being driving on for a day (I guess they were too lazy to plow). Anyway, it was the scariest experience of my life. I literally ran two red lights, flashing my lights and honking my horn to warn people because I could NOT stop. I was going 15 mph, had at least 100 feet to stop and the car had ZERO traction. Another time, I slide off the side of the road. The road was perfectly straight. I literally slide down to the right due to the slight road crown, nothing more.

Sure, if it's dry, you can get by with summers. They are pretty scary in the cold and wet. Add one flake of snow and you're screwed. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.
Yeah I was already leaning on no, but its been solidified through 3 comments
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM

So very glad I didn't go with PS2s its snowing outside

Wound up going with a/s plus (weird the Michelin site says they don't fit tirerack says otherwise.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Some one once told me - Summer tyres are like Hockey Pucks on ice/snow, that statement is 100% true. I live in the north east and use summer sports all year long as this is my only car and living in an apartment I dont have space to keep an additional set of wheels/tyres. I had been through a LOT of scary situations, these tyres have absolutely ZERO traction if there is even 1mm snow/ice on the road.

Like some of the earlier posters said, you have to adjust your driving style and take additional precautions if you are willing to take the risk. Its a constant pain and challenge to drive in winter with these one. Regular driving pleaseure on my car is 9/10, in winter with snow its about 1/10....thats how bad it is. One time, it snowed and I couldnt move my car from the parking spot I was in, I took some one's help and physically pushed it out of the spot and started driving...it was aweful. Lesson learnt is if you have sand, put in under the tyres, it will give you traction to start but once you start there is no stopping
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM

I just got the pilot sport pluses on today and while it was snowing like crazy (worried about the damn salt) the car felt amazingly light compared to the RFTs, I've had those on other cars and can't wait to get them out in non-S* weather. I'd never have made it home if I'd gone PS2s as we had at least 2 inches sticking lol.