Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5630i
Sorry to hear this! my be MOTOR OR SWITCH? Keep looking on the BMW BLOGS and i'm sure you will find the solution! I had seen some were wear you could test your Wiper Motor.... GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 323i
New relay, clean motor still nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwoo View Post
Like hivolt mentioned I have the exact same problem. My wipers do not work, but intermittently my washer will spray water when I pull washer, but the wipers will not move. I took it to the dealer and they charged me a $130 diagnostic fee to look at an error code and my wipers. I called a day later and they wanted me to give them an extra $75 to keep looking into the wiper situation cause they couldn't figure anything out. Freaking criminals!! So I'm gonna try and fix it myself.
I too am having this extended wiper problem. changed the relay, cleaned the motor contacts which were in need, however, still no movement on the wipers and I too am getting a spray, although this pump is totally removed and resides on the washer fluid tank, so I can see that this could work with out the wipers moving. I see old blogs on this problem just curious what the solutions were after the motor was changed and the relay was replaced. Help anyone???

Mrthomas -NY
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i v8
I came across this thread. My wipers do work though. The problem I am having is that my intermittent wipers work at the SAME interval - no mater what position my thumb wheel/switch is in on the wiper stalk. I have a German spec 535iA v8, think baby 540i and you get the idea. It has a rain sensor in the windshield.

What controls the time intervall for the wipers ? Relay?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM

Can anyone HELP me? My wipers work fine other than I can not get the interval to change at all. No mater what I turn the thumb switch on the wiper stalk too... I always get a six second swipe/interval. ???
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMWE46 320d 136HP y. 2000
I have the same problem as jeffwoo: my wipers do not work, but intermittently my washer will spray water when I pull washer, but the wipers will not move. I've already changed GM5 module,wiper realy in ECU box, wiper motor, wiper switch on the syeering wheel but nothing has changed!What else could I do?Can anyone tell me where I can find complete wiring of windshield wiper?thank you very much.
Michele

P.S.: jeffwoo, did you solve your problem?In wich way?Thank you
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: e39
wiper problem

i read you post, i have the same problem. did you ever fixed it?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyznyc View Post
i read you post, i have the same problem. did you ever fixed it?

YES I did get it fixed. I talked to my friend who works at a BMW dealer. He said first try to initialize or reset the rain-sensor. So that's what we did. You need a BMW scan tool. Once they did that simple reset, my intermittent wipers now work at all the various speeds.

When you turn the thumb wheel on the wiper stalk... the wipers will always wipe once, when you change the setting. Then when it detects rain, they will wipe automatically.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 6spd, V8 S4 6spd
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
YES I did get it fixed. I talked to my friend who works at a BMW dealer. He said first try to initialize or reset the rain-sensor. So that's what we did. You need a BMW scan tool. Once they did that simple reset, my intermittent wipers now work at all the various speeds.

When you turn the thumb wheel on the wiper stalk... the wipers will always wipe once, when you change the setting. Then when it detects rain, they will wipe automatically.

.....wipers don't work-new relay, checked fuses, checked/cleaned motor, original windshiel-checked rain sensor, washers work intermittent. (work every time when i turn key on and off- stop working after few seconrds), tried to check if I get power to motor plug but was not sure what I was checking. Tomorrow I am going to a shop to have them check it with a scan tool and try to program it--- I have read many posts but if anyone has any more suggestions on what to check/fix please help =). will post back as soon as I fix it (2001 540i) Thank you
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 AM

Before having the rain sensor recalibrated, my wipers would only wipe every six seconds no matter where the thumb wheel was set too. Also... when I would change the interval via the thumb wheel... the wipers would not wipe. Now since having the rain sensor recalibrated, the wiper interval changed EVERY time I change the setting on the thumb wheel. And I have a very wide range of wiping interval from a second to about 15 secs. And if the rain starts up harder.. the wipers will start wiping on their own accord. I like how it works now much better.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to manticore33
Mein Auto: '86 Porsche 951, '01 530i
Check your wiper motor for intermittent working and/or going up and not coming down. And, I should warn pulling the wiper arms are a PITA sometimes. The cowls will flood on the e39 which allows water to penetrate the wiper motor causing it to corrode and freeze. I replaced my relay and the stalk which did not fix the problem. It ended up being the wiper motor. When I opened it up all of the grease was milky and the limit switch and the motor was corroded with icy water in it (I did this at 20f in January). Fortunately, in my case, I was able to pull two used working wiper motors for $20 from a junk yard. And, if the wiper motor flooded out, there is a good chance that the brake booster compartment flooded and now you have water in your booster too which will bring more e39 joy.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM

SOLUTION-after new really nothing (used one), took the motor out and it looked very good/clean ( tried running it of a jumper box and nothing) got a new motor ($25+5 core/used from junk). New motor worked only on high speed (if u buy used motor don't forget to test it before install), got another relay from the dealer ($20) and everything works properly. ( before I got to this point obviously checked all fuses and made sure I was getting power into the motor plug). Took the old motor apart and I noticed the seal broke because it was rusted inside to the point where something died on it. thanks everyone for all the help and hope my solution can help .
Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Windshield wipers not working

My wipers do actually work when I switch them on but they collide with each other every time I turn them on I know I have the correct lengths any suggestions on what it could be?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacho2009 View Post
My wipers do actually work when I switch them on but they collide with each other every time I turn them on I know I have the correct lengths any suggestions on what it could be?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Hi, if work was done I would make sure they were mounted correctly back on the motor pin. Also when off are they in correct position? Laying level and flat. Also have they been working fine and this just happens, than maybe other problem. But from my understanding there is one motor and the rest of the system is all linked together by different connecting arms. The more detail you can provide the better to help. Hope my ideas will help a little. Thanks and good luck/ let us know what it was if you do get it fixed.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 530i Sport
to polska12345

polska12345, did you ever get this working?: "washers work intermittent. (work every time when i turn key on and off- stop working after few seconds)"?

This is exactly what is happening to me. It's my only problem. Wipers work, rain sensor works, intermittent wiper delay works. But I can only get one wiper washer fluid shot per key-on.

Ideas anyone?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39 528i
E39 wipers

My wipers don't work, and so far I've changed the GM3, the relay and the stalk/switch with no luck. I've had my motor tested by an auto electrician and they still don't work, and apparently there is no power getting from the switch to the relay. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
You didn't mention if you checked all of the fuses.
What year is your car?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39 528i
BMW e39

Yes, I've checked all the fuses and even replaced the wiper related ones with no difference. It's a 1998 528i