Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Honda CRV
2012 X3 - front end damage

Through 100% fault of my own, no excuses, I rear ended a Toyota Tacoma yesterday with my 2012 X3. I'm sick about it. I was in stop and go traffic and looked across the highway for a second, and by that time the truck had slammed on his brakes. I slammed on mine, but it was too late. I was probably going about 20-25 when I hit him. Luckily, I and the two passengers in the truck are fine, save for a very severe bruise on my hand from the air bag.

The damage appears to be confined to the front end...grill, bumper, headlights, and hood are all crumpled (although the bumper and grill are much worse than the hood). The fenders appear to be in good condition, other than the fact that they were pushed back very slightly (obvious at the seams between the fenders and doors). All driver's side airbags (3) deployed, and the side curtains on the passenger deployed (luckily the front side passenger airbag is intact). The collision guard, or whatever it is called, seems to have done it's job, as there did not appear to be any engine damage. It will likely need a new air conditioner compresser, though.

I don't have pictures, but I spent some time with the manager of the collision repair going over what the immediate issues appeared to be (I realize there will be a more complete inspection when the insurance assessor arrives). He said on a normal car it would be $6k in damage, but on a BMW, double the cost. He assured me that the car was not totaled and could be repaired.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type of damage. I searched the forums and saw quite a few posts of damage that did not to appear to be as severe as mine but the car was totaled. Repair costs reported here for similar/seemingly less damage also appear to be more expensive. I was planning to keep this car for a VERY long time, and I am really mad at myself for having this significant of an accident this early on.

Any advice on what to expect? My dad has already told me to get it fixed and then trade it in, but I just accepted a new job and will be moving and buying a house in the next 6 months, so I don't think that is a good option right now. I know the car will never be the same, but I am worried at this point of the possibility of it being totaled. I really don't want to have to buy a new car right now, because of the move and because I will be commuting 70 miles one way until we find a new house. I'd rather drive the repaired car for a while, put all those miles on it, and then maybe trade it in next year.
Ads by Google