Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i
Transmission shifting problem

At the 1100 mile mark, my X1 x28i had a major transmission failure. The 'mechtronic' unit had to be replaced (23 days in the shop waiting for the part from Germany!). The failure manifested itself as the car locking itself in Park. After messing with the shifter and restarting several times it locked itself in Neutral and that's where it stayed until towing to the dealer. During the wait my dealer came through with a nice loaner car-a X3. While the X1 now shifts again, there is a nagging problem. When cold the AT has very abrupt downshifts from 2nd to first (at least compared to before the failure). After about 5 miles or so the abrupt downshifting gets better, but it is still somewhat noticeable. Fully warmed up the AT seems OK, though it hardly seems like a 'state of the art' system.

Curious if anyone else has had or heard of similar problems. I"m obviously concerned for the long term. In my experience, mediocre performance problems are hard to diagnose and very difficult to fix.

Otherwise, I really love the car and always look forward to driving it.

P.S.-the eco pro mode really sucks the life out of driving this car! Avoid using it!
Ads by Google
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I can't speak to that as I get my car next Friday. However, I had a brand new x3 loaner yesterday, and while the car was nice I did not care for the auto/start-stop feature at all. Sometimes (rarely) it was smooth, and sometimes it was down right bothersome. That's not Ultimate Driving Machine worthy IMO. It just doesn't seem well thought out. When I turned it off the car ws much more enjoyable to drive.

We're you using this feature when you had the failure, and could this in anyway be related to the poor execution of Start/Stop? I'm curious, and I would have them fix it further until it is "right". Good luck
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
It's sadly a common issue, google "bmw mechatronic fail" and you'll get lots of results about the problem.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Does anyone know if our 8-spd is the same unit as the X3, X5 and other cars across the product line? I had an X5 for the past 2 yrs and rarely read about tranny problems. In fact I have nothing but praise about the tranny, and a major reason I opted for the 28i to get the 8-spd again.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
It's sadly a common issue, google "bmw mechatronic fail" and you'll get lots of results about the problem.
Okay. I googled it. I got a bunch of threads posted more than 2 years ago and a couple of threads that were more recent (2011) but were about older vehicles. Googling "bmw mechatronic fail" with regards to recent X, 1 & 3 series 8 speed tranny failures is, in itself, a fail.
Perhaps you could post up(directly) the plethora of failure instances of which you speak. You have my attention.
TIA

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch