Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Not the usual crankshaft position sensor thread, need help!

First, let me say hello to everyone since this is my first post! Ok, heres the deal with my 2001 330i... My SES light came on so I checked the code, it was a P0335, crankshaft position sensor. I ordered the part from the dealer and had it replaced. Unfortunately it didn't fix anything. The code came right back. So, I've made an appointment to have the dealership work out the problem, but I'd like to be armed with some ideas before I go.

Heres the symptoms: SES light on, DSC light on, car has no power and shudders as if it's fuel pump or injectors are not working properly at RPM ranges higher than 2500.

I wouldn't be worried but the only code it's throwing is the P0335, since I've already replaced that and it didn't solve the problem I don't know what to do next.

I did search through the forums (this one and a couple others) and found a lot of post reguarding this, however none of them covered the problems I'm having with mine.

I don't think the sensor they sent me would be bad, so can anyone think of another that code would come up aside from the sensor?

Thanks for any ideas!
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Which one did you replace? There is an exhaust and an intake sensor.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:34 PM
hockey-holic

Mein Auto: Topaz 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmere46
Which one did you replace? There is an exhaust and an intake sensor.
Yep, I also found out the hard way that there are two. I've had both of them replaced in the past year. I'll do it myself the next time. $350 a pop and found out later, it's an easy swap out.
OEM roof rack, manual rear sunshade (NEW 8/06)
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Bomber
First, let me say hello to everyone since this is my first post! Ok, heres the deal with my 2001 330i... My SES light came on so I checked the code, it was a P0335, crankshaft position sensor. I ordered the part from the dealer and had it replaced. Unfortunately it didn't fix anything. The code came right back. So, I've made an appointment to have the dealership work out the problem, but I'd like to be armed with some ideas before I go.

Heres the symptoms: SES light on, DSC light on, car has no power and shudders as if it's fuel pump or injectors are not working properly at RPM ranges higher than 2500.

I wouldn't be worried but the only code it's throwing is the P0335, since I've already replaced that and it didn't solve the problem I don't know what to do next.

I did search through the forums (this one and a couple others) and found a lot of post reguarding this, however none of them covered the problems I'm having with mine.

I don't think the sensor they sent me would be bad, so can anyone think of another that code would come up aside from the sensor?

Thanks for any ideas!
It seems there was a bulletin to change the wiring on the crankshaft sensor because the power supply for it would fail, i will try to find it for you.

sorry that was e36 with wiring failure, however there is a similar bulleting e46 that includes dme programming. email me and i will send it to you in word doc. kfaircloth2@nc.rr.com

Last edited by crash8168; 03-03-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by exBMWannabe
Yep, I also found out the hard way that there are two. I've had both of them replaced in the past year. I'll do it myself the next time. $350 a pop and found out later, it's an easy swap out.

Ouch!!...$200 and 20mins would have done then both.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know there were two, so I can't say for sure which one I replaced. It's the one in the rear of the engine by the starter. As far as I could tell from the code, I replaced the right one? Anyway, the cars in the shop now, they said it was the same sensor I had just replaced... That means the sensor I bought from them would have to have been bad from the start. I think they are going to find themselves in the same situation I did... Replaced sensor, problem not solved. The plus side is, they kept the car over the weekend, and said they may need it until Wednesday, so they gave me a 2006 325i loaner to use till they finish.

Hey Crash8168, thanks! I'll fire you an email.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
Lightbulb Please Update!!

I have an e46 2001 and ses is on and the engine idles rough, looses power, and sputters in the 2-3000 rpm range. At frewwway speeds it sounds horrendous and woofs low like it has glass packs and looses power. I am looking for an OBD code reader, and my inservice date purchsed CPO but dont want to invest another 500 after service 2 last winter. Trying to fix myself or get a tech to do it but need to didagnose.

Anyone know a good cheap code readre and What are thoughts on my problem...

thinking about dumping it for an a6 3.0 to bury my negative equiity in my beloved bimmer.. It wont run so i must say goodbye..

Thanks

LAwdawg
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jon@TheMshop
Mein Auto: '98 M3 Turbo '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire1
I have an e46 2001 and ses is on and the engine idles rough, looses power, and sputters in the 2-3000 rpm range. At frewwway speeds it sounds horrendous and woofs low like it has glass packs and looses power. I am looking for an OBD code reader, and my inservice date purchsed CPO but dont want to invest another 500 after service 2 last winter. Trying to fix myself or get a tech to do it but need to didagnose.

Anyone know a good cheap code readre and What are thoughts on my problem...

thinking about dumping it for an a6 3.0 to bury my negative equiity in my beloved bimmer.. It wont run so i must say goodbye..

Thanks

LAwdawg
I highly recommend this tool http://bimmerzone.com/resettool.htm
Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i
Did anyone find the solution to this problem? It's surprising how many forum posts have been started on this same exact subject and none of them have any resolution. I've replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (P0335) and still no luck, same error code pops up. Problem is very similar to when I had a bad Fuel Pump, but this one sounds like it's working when I put my ear to it and turn the key.

Please share.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvbrotherz View Post
Did anyone find the solution to this problem? It's surprising how many forum posts have been started on this same exact subject and none of them have any resolution. I've replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (P0335) and still no luck, same error code pops up. Problem is very similar to when I had a bad Fuel Pump, but this one sounds like it's working when I put my ear to it and turn the key.

Please share.
Speaking of no resolutions, what did YOU find?

I'm having a persistant p0335 that leads to a p0727. Engine has to turn over forever to start, and when it does, the tranny immediately goes to limp mode. Just replaced the CKP and there's no change to the problem.

I've found at least half a dozen threads about this, but as mvbrotherz observed, no one ever reports back with a solution.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323is
What was the solution to this? Looks like my brother is having this exact problem. Did everyone just sell the car after it happened? LOL

1999 BMW 323is | 1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323is
FYI - He had the ECU reprogrammed and the problem went away permanently.

1999 BMW 323is | 1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Bringing an old thread back from the dead.... regardless an important clarification for future readers. There is a difference between the CAMshaft position sensors and the CRANKshaft position sensors. The CAMS and the CRANK are the primary rotating bits inside your engine but perform completely different functions. The CRANK turns the linear action of the pistons into a rotary motion and transfers that rotary motion to your flywheel, transmission, driveshaft and driving wheels. the CAMshaft is driven by the CRANKshaft (in the M54s case by a chain) and converts the rotary action of the CRANK into a linear action on the valves to open and close intake/exhaust valves at the proper time to support efficient combustion.

On the M54 engine, there are two CAMshaft position sensors, one for the intake and one for the exhaust. Both of these are relatively easy to access/replace and are located at the front (closest to the radiator) of the cylinder head. There is only one CRANKshaft position sensor which is located adjacent to the flywheel near the starter. It is more difficult to get too but still DIY-able with the proper equipment (ramps/jacks, jack stands, etc.) to safely get under the car.