Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 04 7series
Actuator Repair/ Bowden Cable

Hi anybody help!!!!!!

730D 2004

I had a rear nearside brake cable fault (end came off cable in actuator). I have replaced the cable (known as the Bowden Cable) but now the rear brake still wont work and still showing rear brake fault on start up. it does apply when when coming to a stop if i push the button. I think someone has said in a forum that thats normal brakes applying and not rear brake!!! Keif has given me some tips but as yet no joy. Frustrated and aching back. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Last edited by JIm UK; 11-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi,

I have had the same problem, with the cable end snapping off, I didnt get any error codes though!

When the engine is running the ABS/DSC module applies the hydraulic brakes on all 4 wheels when in AUTO-P or when the "hand brake" button is pressed, As soon as the engine is switched off the mechanical brake will apply.

Have you replaced both cables? The dealer could only supply them as a pair. Both mine were corroded solid and neither were actually applying the brakes!

Can you move the mechanism manually using the emergency release tool? Have you checked to see if the gears are damaged in the gearbox?

Are you able to read any codes from the EMF? INPA for example?

Hope this helps

Stuart
Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Hi yes the gears are fine as I can wind it manually no problem. All I'm getting is a handbrake failure warning when I start up. No codes are coming up.

Jim
Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM

As soon as you switch on the ignition? No codes are showing up when interrogating the module in INPA?

I recently had this for two days, INPA showed one of the hall sensors in the gearbox was faulty, this caused the error to show up when the key was inserted, however it 'fixed' itself and has not come back since!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Sorry INPA? Not sure what that is.
When I start up a warninng tells me handbrake failure and its lit up in yellow on dash.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Ahh right ok, the message on the dash is just a general warning telling you something is wrong with the EMF, you will need to read the error memory from within the EMF using a diagnostic lead and a laptop. This will tell you exactly whats causing the error on the dash.

INPA is the software that you use to read the codes from the modules in the car. I have two leads, both bought from ebay for under 30 (Item Number 200846030020) the INPA software can be downloaded, usually the lead comes with a version of INPA for you to use. The item on ebay also has the old dealer level software for diagnostic, coding and programming, you dont need to install that to read error codes.

You can also buy a VAGCOM compatible lead for around 10 on ebay (item 181020905361) it requires some modification to work with INPA. (You must buy one with the FTDI FT232RL chip, you can do the modifications in software otherwise you have to solder extra components to the PCB inside the lead).

Stuart
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM

Ok thanks Stuart I'll have a look your help is very much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 AM

Hi Stuart,

Its me again! Can you help or advise.

I bought the INPA cable and a software version came with it. You say you dont need to use this software I hope this is so as Ive been trying to install it on my Laptop for last week but to no avail. Each time I start to download the software it crashes or comes up with an error. Its driving me mad as its a brand new Laptop with an external hard drive but getting very frustrated.

Regards
Jim
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Had the same problem with my car ,ends pulled off cables at actuator end ,u can buy the cables separate from the dealer as he told me so .anyway that a side couple of things ,u will need inpa working to reset the fault on the dash otherwise brake won't operate ,secondly I had issues with mine even after that ,if the cable is too slack the brake will come on and show a fault .make sure uve adjusted both handbrake shoes up at each wheel tru the wheel bolt hole when uve done that ,then get the special tool in the boot and make sure the handbrake is wound off all the way to the stop.u then reset the fault on the dash with inpa turn ignition on but don't start ,u then press parking brake on when the light shows it on wait bout 3 secs press it off wait bout 3 secs then press it on again ,that should initiatalise it again .now u mute be lucky if u do all this then start the car it mite not show a fault as my car would only show the brake fault when I put it in drive .so u cud see if this works with ignition on only without the need to reset by inpa, if ur stuck for anymore info feel free to pm me for my mobile number for a chat if it helps
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi thanks for your reply. Ive done all as you said but its the INPA ! Does it need to be linked to a Laptop or do we just plug INPA in ?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm UK View Post
Hi thanks for your reply. Ive done all as you said but its the INPA ! Does it need to be linked to a Laptop or do we just plug INPA in ?
u have to install inpa on ur laptop its not easy but if u buy the cable frm chris in the uk it comes with his software which is simple click and install ,he has went to alot of trouble gettng it right.itl also install ncs xpert ,gt1 ss progman and other bmw tools
http://bmtechnic.co.uk/
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM

I have the software with cable and your right its a bit of a chore Ive deleted and re-installed it 3 times but it keeps freezing in different sections. I'll try again to install it. Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM

software

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post
u have to install inpa on ur laptop its not easy but if u buy the cable frm chris in the uk it comes with his software which is simple click and install ,he has went to alot of trouble gettng it right.itl also install ncs xpert ,gt1 ss progman and other bmw tools
http://bmtechnic.co.uk/
Hi I purchased from bmtech and bought the cable and software and it was great. I sorted the Actuator no problems but then i started looking into other things and have paid the penalty. My radio,sat nav, controls on steering wheel have all gone off and the software is coming up with Code error 200.19 SVS,TEL,NAV,ASK,ANT yet all I did was open each one to see what it was for as mt SatNav has been playin up, but by opening them up has caused them to disconnect I THINK !!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Ahh right ok, the message on the dash is just a general warning telling you something is wrong with the EMF, you will need to read the error memory from within the EMF using a diagnostic lead and a laptop. This will tell you exactly whats causing the error on the dash.

INPA is the software that you use to read the codes from the modules in the car. I have two leads, both bought from ebay for under 30 (Item Number 200846030020) the INPA software can be downloaded, usually the lead comes with a version of INPA for you to use. The item on ebay also has the old dealer level software for diagnostic, coding and programming, you dont need to install that to read error codes.

You can also buy a VAGCOM compatible lead for around 10 on ebay (item 181020905361) it requires some modification to work with INPA. (You must buy one with the FTDI FT232RL chip, you can do the modifications in software otherwise you have to solder extra components to the PCB inside the lead).

Stuart
Hi Stuart do you have any knowledge about error codes . i bought a cable an software from BMtech and it was great but i opened a couple of other functions up and now Ive got an error code 200.19. My radio,satnav, steering controls have gone offSVS,TEL,NAV,ASK,ANT, any ideas please
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Hi,

What software are you using? INPA? What module is storing the error code? I ask because I don't recognise that error code format!

Sounds like your MOST bus is out, you say the NAV has been playing up recently, this could have been coincidence, my AMP has just died, I've looped it out for now.

You can PM me if you like.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 01-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Hi Stuart

Its INPA and the program I opened was SSS Progman. All I did was correct the error on my Actuator and thought i would open a couple of items but closed them as soon as i realised what they were. When I go back into the menu it asks me am i retrofiting a part and when I reply no it ask's me to shutdown then go back in but when i do nothing's changed.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Also Ive run the Diagnostic and the items are all under an error Most Bus. But as I say everything was working fine until I opened the items in Progman
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Hi!

Yeah keep away from SSS! That's for programming new/retrofitted modules!

You should only need INPA to read and erase codes.

What's the issues exactly? A module in the MOST bus may now be stuck in programming mode or something.

Stuart
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM

As I say I corrected my Actuator and just had a look round the software and opened the items stated but now Ive no radio,Phone,parking sensors, steerig wheel controls dont work.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 AM

Hi Stuart
I ran the Diagnostics again today and its told me in the Most Boss error........... FF2 - MOSTSYS:MOST RING BREAK ?????????????????

Does that help you in anyway.

Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Your car has an optical bus (red laser shines down optical fibre around the car) that lots of the high bandwidth (nav etc) components use (called MOST).

It is like a massive loop going in a chain from component to component.

Imagine a circle with modules in the loop. If a module goes off line, then the loop gets broken, and nothing can communicate with anything else! It's effectively the same as if you unplugged a connector from one of the modules - you lose everything on the loop.

Assuming you haven't physically disconnected any of the modules then it does seem a little more than a coincidence that as soon as you accessed one with SSS that the bus stopped working.

I would advice you to try disconnecting the car battery for a minute and reconnecting it to reset everything.

So long as you didn't play about in SSS (its a very powerful program, and very dangerous if you don't know what your doing) then that should fix it.

If you've left a module in a programming state then it probably won't be accessible until it is re flashed, which I can't tell you how to do.

You could try running INPA (not SSS) and running a error check on the whole car (open INPA, click e65, double click functional jobs, click error then read EM). If a module is not responding due to an abnormal state, this should be displayed at the top of the list (Something like ERROR_ECU_BUSY_PLEASE_REPEAT).

Last edited by Piers1989; 01-10-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
Your car has an optical bus (red laser shines down optical fibre around the car) that lots of the high bandwidth (nav etc) components use (called MOST).

It is like a massive loop going in a chain from component to component.

Imagine a circle with modules in the loop. If a module goes off line, then the loop gets broken, and nothing can communicate with anything else! It's effectively the same as if you unplugged a connector from one of the modules - you lose everything on the loop.

Assuming you haven't physically disconnected any of the modules then it does seem a little more than a coincidence that as soon as you accessed one with SSS that the bus stopped working.

I would advice you to try disconnecting the car battery for a minute and reconnecting it to reset everything.

So long as you didn't play about in SSS (its a very powerful program, and very dangerous if you don't know what your doing) then that should fix it.

If you've left a module in a programming state then it probably won't be accessible until it is re flashed, which I can't tell you how to do.

You could try running INPA (not SSS) and running a error check on the whole car (open INPA, click e65, double click functional jobs, click error then read EM). If a module is not responding due to an abnormal state, this should be displayed at the top of the list (Something like ERROR_ECU_BUSY_PLEASE_REPEAT).
thanks for your help. I honestly didnt do anything other than open it and it asked me was I retrofiting anything Yes or No I clicked no it then asked me to shut it down then reopen it but it was still the same. The items i opened are in red in the menu.

Ive run the Dis and it saying the Most Bus cant be corrected to doing Quick test so I looked into the details and its saying error FF2-mostsys:Most Ring Break still none the wiser.

Thanks JIm
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm UK View Post
thanks for your help. I honestly didnt do anything other than open it and it asked me was I retrofiting anything Yes or No I clicked no it then asked me to shut it down then reopen it but it was still the same. The items i opened are in red in the menu.

Ive run the Dis and it saying the Most Bus cant be corrected to doing Quick test so I looked into the details and its saying error FF2-mostsys:Most Ring Break still none the wiser.

Thanks JIm
I've not used DIS for diagnostics myself, just INPA.

The reason I'm asking you to try using INPA is that it will communicate with everything via CAN, so you should be able to talk to the modules that are disconnected from the MOST and see which module is having issues starting up.

One other quick thing you could try (if you haven't already) is go into your glove box, there is a panel on the top that folds down. You have an optical connector linked to a ring there (its there for diagnostics if you have an OPS device). If you simply unplug and reconnect the optical cable it is said to reset the optical devices, however if one module has crashed etc then it won't help.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 AM

AAAAh I havent tried the INPA but will do so asap. Will update you asap, Thanks so much
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM

I'm looking at Most wake up and its flickering and has just told me no response ?