Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
My 535i is due for an oil change soon, I should start my car shopping
It's been raining and my 535i is dirty. I guess I better get myself down to the dealership and get something something squeaky clean. Well, maybe not the squeaky part.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
The 650xi that drove was an MSport. My Dinan exhaust is much more aggressive. If I were to get the 650, I might swap out my Dinan exhaust and put it on the 650.

I'm leaning towards the X5 due to it's sportiness, but I may need to wait to see how the GL550 with curve assist and the off-road package feel. I regretted not getting a more sporty set-up in my last GL.

It certain felt like the new GL is larger than the old one, but that's what I liked about it - it was the smallest full-szie SUV on the market. The interior of the GL is much improved.
I usually drive my car with the top down so that could have a lot to do with how aggressive I perceive the sound to be. It's right behind your head. I love the brap you get out of the exhaust on up shifts when in DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Do you have 5 kids or something?

If a GL is too small, get a minivan.
Our third is on the way

And unlike most SUV owners, I use mine a lot. I'm always at depot grabbing rock or plywood or 2x's etc. I purchased a short Escalade and traded it in within 10 months. Since the third row can't fold flat it took up the whole cargo area. I couldn't take it. Since the GL can fold flat, I might be able to get away with it. I just have to see if I can get a sheet of ply in the back width wise.

And no need to insult me with the concept of getting a mini-neuter, I mean van....

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I usually drive my car with the top down so that could have a lot to do with how aggressive I perceive the sound to be. It's right behind your head. I love the brap you get out of the exhaust on up shifts when in DS.

Our third is on the way

And unlike most SUV owners, I use mine a lot. I'm always at depot grabbing rock or plywood or 2x's etc. I purchased a short Escalade and traded it in within 10 months. Since the third row can't fold flat it took up the whole cargo area. I couldn't take it. Since the GL can fold flat, I might be able to get away with it. I just have to see if I can get a sheet of ply in the back width wise.

And no need to insult me with the concept of getting a mini-neuter, I mean van....
Escalade / Tahoe / Yukon is a total waste. Less room in the back than even a Grand Cherokee, except much larger outside and horribly inefficient.

GL at least has a ton of room on the inside. Kudos to you for at least using it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Why a minivan?
Get a schoolbus!
Forget the school bus, get a motor home.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
MB SLS AMG GT ALUBEAM Silver Metallic. Not just drool worthy - god may smite you out of jealousy.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
MB SLS AMG GT ALUBEAM Silver Metallic. Not just drool worthy - god may smite you out of jealousy.
The Alubeam paint is like $12k! Mrs D would certainly smite me if I paid 12k for paint. Now maybe if it was on the floor model...

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
Exactly what the doctor orders for any man to overcome his midlife crisis!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
The Alubeam paint is like $12k! Mrs D would certainly smite me if I paid 12k for paint. Now maybe if it was on the floor model...
"Nothing exceeds like excess"
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Hmm....may I need that prescription in case I ever hit my midlife crisis - any one want to to sponsor me so that I can purchase and SLS.

BMW CCA Member
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Just come pick me up in the SLS we'll head over to the Duron paint store and I'll paint that badboy for 5k! WHAT A DEAL!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Quote:
Hmm....may I need that prescription in case I ever hit my midlife crisis - any one want to to sponsor me so that I can purchase and SLS.
If you have a prescription from your doctor, then you healthcare provider should provide you an SLS. Unfortunately, they will probably substitute it for a generic prescription vert - maybe a Chinese BYD S8. Don't worry it will be just as good.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Just come pick me up in the SLS we'll head over to the Duron paint store and I'll paint that badboy for 5k! WHAT A DEAL!
Would you use a brush or a roller?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Would you use a brush or a roller?
I think I'd want to go for detail so the crayola 5 pack art and craft brush set seems like the correct choice
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
I'm seeing several suggestions for p-cars... interesting for a BMW site. At least you guys are putting your brand loyalty aside and looking out for my best interests.

Anyway, while we were driving home tonight, I was relaying the relative monthly costs of the 650xi, M6, SL550, and SL63 when Mrs Dunderhi made a proposition. I should get a 3yr lease on a 650xi (the practical car) and since our mortgage will be paid off by the time the lease is up, as part of us celebrating the termination of the mortgage I can buy a roadster of my choosing and do a 3 week European tour with it. I asked even an SLS? She said yes even an SLS. Hmm, sounds too good to be true; what's the catch? "No catch, just if you want car payments the size of a mortgage, you should pay off the mortgage first." Sounds fair, right? So now my conscience is getting to me and I fessed up that the squeak in my 550 is easily fixed and Mrs D said she was smart enough not to let me trick her into buying a car, but she could tell it is getting time for something new. I guess I'll chalk it up to women's intuition.

Now let's see if I have all of the incentives straight:
1) Holiday credit - $3,500
2) Owner Loyalty - $750
3) BMW App - $700
4) BMWCCA - $1,000
5) USAA - $1,000 or ED - $6,145 (less travel expenses for a quick pick-up)

This is all before any negotiations. Maybe, I'm catching incentive fever. Someone please tell me it's still cheaper to keep my 550 for the next three years.
Ok...it is cheaper to keep your 550 for the next three years. You won't do that so it really does not matter. You already know my vote from the ask a dealer forum. I vote you get the 650 coupe and that the lady gets the x5M. That is the plan for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I hear you. I REALLY don't need to give my wife a 63. About a year ago we were talking and she said there was something wrong with her ESV, several times a day she would see a warning icon lighting up when she left a light or stop sign. I asked her if it looked like a car with skid marks and a little triangle to which she replied yes. I then laughed and calmly told her it was probably not a good idea to leave a standstill, with a 7000lb SUV, with enough gas to spin the 4 tires forcing the traction control to come on.

I don't think I could walk into an MB dealer and not get a great deal- that's would hurt my ego lol. And then to have to pay for services on top of that, oy...

Why can't BMW make a full size truck
Hmm..you are not the only one with a wife that has a lead foot. Mine does this all the time. She hits the gas so hard on the 335d that the tires actually spin sometimes before the traction control can kick in. I can only imagine how she is going to drive the x5M......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Escalade / Tahoe / Yukon is a total waste. Less room in the back than even a Grand Cherokee, except much larger outside and horribly inefficient.

GL at least has a ton of room on the inside. Kudos to you for at least using it.
The secret to the big SUV's is how wide they are. The ability to swallow a wide item like a sheet of plywood is something the mid size SUV's cannot do. I personally cannot stand the Escalade/Yukon and I would pick the GL 550 if I needed a big SUV. You guys know I have been SUV shopping for a year now and I did try the new GL 550, ML 63 and Porsche. For me the x5M won the contest and mine is being built next week.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 12-10-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Even if I doubt that the new X5 will be better than the current one I would find it hard to buy a car just a few months before the new model is to be revealed. Incentives and negotiation opportunities should also remain favorable on the current X5 the closer we get to the launch of the new one. As decaf mentioned already it's something to keep in mind if you are thinking X5.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM

The current X5 is probably the best of all its concurrents at the moment.
Being pregnant for a new car, like he seems to be, D better not start waiting for a year after the launch of the new X5, for not having a first years model.

Other drawback, probably no ED for those?

So if one really thinks an ugly, to big car is needed and one has talked the wife out of her top driving saloon:

Order a last years model X5 overfilled with all extras, probably for little money.
Might even be possible to save enough for a nice bike trailer.
Something like a Barbot Tornado perhaps.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 550i with M Sport
Dunder,

I would recommend the Cayenne GTS! I had an 08 and it was awesome. Great exhaust, power, and handling.

Also, keep me in mind if your dropping your Dinan mods, I'm local!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
Also, keep me in mind if your dropping your Dinan mods, I'm local!
I already put my stock mufflers in the trunk just in case I want to take my Dinan mufflers off when i trade it in. I also put my stock wheels back on, but that's I'm keeping my BBS wheels for the next car. Uh oh, t seems I'm starting to get serious about this.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I already put my stock mufflers in the trunk just in case I want to take my Dinan mufflers off when i trade it in. I also put my stock wheels back on, but that's I'm keeping my BBS wheels for the next car. Uh oh, t seems I'm starting to get serious about this.
Silver Spring is taking good care of me right now, and I feel allot better about potential warranty conflicts (thanks buddy )

Even got a free loaner... only a 328 (I think because they bricked my DME trying to get Dinan on it ) but I think you should stay with BMW
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I vote you get the 650 coupe and that the lady gets the x5M. That is the plan for me anyway.
Hopefully, you won't mind us copy-catting your purchase plan, but that's how we are leaning right now. Of course as I learned in the past, Mrs D gets what Mrs D wants, so we may go to test drive an X5M and may end driving out of there in 135 vert - stranger things have happend.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Silver Spring is taking good care of me right now, and I feel allot better about potential warranty conflicts (thanks buddy )

Even got a free loaner... only a 328 (I think because they bricked my DME trying to get Dinan on it ) but I think you should stay with BMW
Good to hear the are taking care of you. Not so good to hear they bricked your DME.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I'm guessing that with the 650xi we're talking GT-R money. Just thought I throw that semi-decent contestant in there if AWD, power, speed and coupe are items on the wanted list... There's pretty much nothing on 4 wheels that will merge before you in this car, no worries with S6s etc.

We choose our new SUV since it best fulfilled are wants and needs but I'll also admit that after so many BMWs we are looking forward to something totally different in looks and feel inside and out. This car will feel all "new" to us which is also kind of fun, an X5 would be almost too familiar to get that all new feel but if we thought it was the better car for us we would still have chosen it. And the M3 isn't going anywhere soon so we will still get our daily BMW fix.

Last edited by solstice; 12-11-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Hopefully, you won't mind us copy-catting your purchase plan, but that's how we are leaning right now. Of course as I learned in the past, Mrs D gets what Mrs D wants, so we may go to test drive an X5M and may end driving out of there in 135 vert - stranger things have happend.
Guy her in Houston just got an M5 and an X5M for his wife. Now that's living!

Still, try the Cayenne diesel and let me know what you think.

Also, maybe wait for the E63 / CLS63 to become AWD next year?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-11-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 AM

I have just finished reading a thread by a happy 650 owner.
A fantastic car.
But with the almost endless list of configuration possiblities it is needed to make a well established plan for the car.
The exterior will not be that difficult, but for the interior it is too easy to make a slip up...

So what is the setup at the moment D?

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-11-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Good to hear the are taking care of you. Not so good to hear they bricked your DME.
Not to hijack this very important shopping thread but what should have been an in and out 1 hour tune job, turned into "keep the loaner we don't know when it'll be ready"

They're saying their Dinan software is incompatible with the "newer" software on my car so no idea... At this point I just want this pos 328i gone