Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
tarmacterror tarmacterror is offline
Tarmacterror
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 530i sport
Smile bmw e39 530i sport lsd??

I'm getting sick of the 1 wheel spinning so gonna get a limited slip diff fitted, thinking about the Quaife ATB limited slip differential for my e39 530i sport manual. Has anybody here tried this piece of kit or maybe suggest another diff.

Last edited by tarmacterror; 12-08-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
AnotherGeezer's Avatar
AnotherGeezer AnotherGeezer is offline
Hofmeister Kink
Location: ManchVegas, New Hampster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,763
Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
It's expensive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
16valex's Avatar
16valex 16valex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Albany NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,589
Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
It's expensive.
Or continue with peg-legged as Geezer refers to it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Schitzo Schitzo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Minneapolis MN
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 249
Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacterror View Post
I'm getting sick of the 1 wheel spinning so gonna get a limited slip diff fitted, thinking about the Quaife ATB limited slip differential for my e39 530i sport manual. Has anybody here tried this piece of kit or maybe suggest another diff.
It's the holidays, I'll search for you!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=quaife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
Or continue with peg-legged as Geezer refers to it.
I bet Geezer yells out, "Arggg" when the peg-leg kicks in
__________________
l Stock 2000 528i l
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
champaign777's Avatar
champaign777 champaign777 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Champ
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,048
Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Geezer car even w/o LSD is a bad ass
__________________
E39 4 ever

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
DennisCooper!'s Avatar
DennisCooper! DennisCooper! is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West London / Heathrow UK
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,618
Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

I'm just wondering why you are having traction issues with a 530i !? yes, it's rated at 231 bhp and 'can' spin it's wheels if provoked that way, but overall, it's not that fast! after all, there's two more E39 models higher! Could it perhaps be low tread on your tyres and/or not very grippy tyres ? see if changing to known grippier tyres solves your issue better? If you are anywhere around here/West London/Heathrow/Slough, then do pop into Bird's garage in Iver where they do uprated differentials etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 PM
AnotherGeezer's Avatar
AnotherGeezer AnotherGeezer is offline
Hofmeister Kink
Location: ManchVegas, New Hampster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,763
Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****zo View Post
I bet Geezer yells out, "Arggg" when the peg-leg kicks in

Heck, I do that when I get out of my chair
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM
tarmacterror tarmacterror is offline
Tarmacterror
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 530i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi

I'm just wondering why you are having traction issues with a 530i !? yes, it's rated at 231 bhp and 'can' spin it's wheels if provoked that way, but overall, it's not that fast! after all, there's two more E39 models higher! Could it perhaps be low tread on your tyres and/or not very grippy tyres ? see if changing to known grippier tyres solves your issue better? If you are anywhere around here/West London/Heathrow/Slough, then do pop into Bird's garage in Iver where they do uprated differentials etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
There is not much of a difference between the 530 and the 535, the 3 litre engine is alot better on fuel and enough power to use it as a every day run about, its runnin smooth as ever and i wanted the manual gearbox which i found difficult sourcing when i was looking last year. I would rather get the m5 than get the 540i as the next car its just as thirsty!! the runnin cost is there with the m5 but come on the smile that machine will put on your face every time you hit the loud pedal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms