Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3
rear veiw mirror help 2006 X3

Hello All,

I recently purchased a pre owned 2006 X3, it did not come with the home link garage door opener, although I purchased one brand new from ebay. it says that it is a simple plug and play. (sounds easy enough right?) Well I was wondering if anyone knew how to replace the exsisting mirror w the new one, or should I just take it to the dealer and avoid pulling what hair I have left out. thanks

Chef Billy
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3-330XI
I did same. Its easy. Follow the link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...mirror+removal

Kind of a PITA to link it to garage door. I think that's Homelink. I helped a neighbor with his new MB ML truck and is was the same PITA to link it to garage opener.

Curious what you paid for yours?
E83 2006 Mods installed: Homelink mirror. CIS-IBUS Nav video module, AUX, Rear DR release, NAV SoftW-Mods, Mud Flaps, sun room Visor, Atom based CarPC. Purchased & pending - BMW CD Changer (NOT Installed). Pending: remote start & LED Angel eyes.
E46 2001 - 18.5 wheels/tires (summer), 17 stock (winter), Homelink, NAV software upgrade, 16:9 display, BMW video module, Radio to V53, AUX, USB IBUS interface,OEM alarm install, Mini ITX computer, tank battery(removed) & remote starter.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 PM

I paid $210 plus 25 for Shipping , The dealer wanter almost $850. thanks for the link big help
Old 11-01-2007, 01:28 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Infiniti G356mt
I just picked up a certified 06 X3 yesterday for my wife's parents who live with us. I want to add the mirror with homelink and would like to know where you got your mirror at such a good price and the part number. There are several different mirrors and I am not sure which is the right one for the 06 X3. I just want the homelink and the autodim features with the easiest install since I would like to install it myself. Dealer price is over $600 plus install fee. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Hey, I got my mirror on ebay, its brand new. I have not yet had it installed, but the dealer told me it would cost around $200. so the way I see it mirror $210 install $200 total Around $410, I still paid alot less then what it would cost from the dealer. It took me a wek or so to find it on there but it was worth the wait. the model number on the mirror is
I E11 015313, I hope that this helps, let me know
Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I got my homelink mirror free, courtesy of a SIB that had something to do with the remote range.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
I seem to recall this mirror costing $350 from the dealer in 2004-6 for my '04 X3. $800 is insane! Worse still, my '04 X3 was not available with the homelink mirror as a factory installed option. Same for Sirius, iPod integration, alarm... What a load of crap! I am somewhat satisfied with the function of the garage door opener function on my '07 X3. While setup wasn't too bad, it seems like the range is very short. The original remote works much better.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefsklls View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased a pre owned 2006 X3, it did not come with the home link garage door opener, although I purchased one brand new from ebay. it says that it is a simple plug and play. (sounds easy enough right?) Well I was wondering if anyone knew how to replace the exsisting mirror w the new one, or should I just take it to the dealer and avoid pulling what hair I have left out. thanks

Chef Billy
Here is something to consider :
X3 vehicles without Premium Package are NOT pre-wired for UGDO (Universal Garage Door Opener) retrofit.
You would need to install cable harness P/N 51 16 0 001 231 for it to work.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM

I thought that $800 was way to much also that s why I did not get one from them, I do have the premuim pkg, it says it on the sticker, are all prem pckgs suppose to come with this feature.

and for future referance what is SIB, and how did you get it for free , you rreally lucky.

keep on truckin x3s
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefsklls View Post
and for future referance what is SIB, and how did you get it for free , you rreally lucky.
SIB is a service bulletin issued by BMW NA for various technical complaints that may arise. Back on the older X3s, there was a possible problem where the remote range was fairly poor. Their solution was to install the Homelink mirror, under warranty on a customer-complaint only basis.

The complete list of service bulletins is at the www.bmwtis.com website. You must pay though
Old 11-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks, This is the best website, And everyone is so helpful, thank you again
Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
Here is something to consider :
X3 vehicles without Premium Package are NOT pre-wired for UGDO (Universal Garage Door Opener) retrofit.
You would need to install cable harness P/N 51 16 0 001 231 for it to work.
I am planning to install it and my X3 has sports package not premium. Does this cable harness come with sports package? Is there a place I can look to find if its installed or not? As a side note, I always thought that home link mirrors had everything inside and they just needed power to function, guess thats not the case. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
I think I messed up. I took the old mirror off and now the new mirror nor the old mirror will go back on. The mounting screw on the windshield looks like it could be sheared. Anybody else have this problem. Argh

If I have to replace the mounting screw, anybody have the part number. This sucks.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Looks like i need part number 9 in this diagram. Local BMW shop said it was part # 51318145530. $17 and they have to order it. He could not give me any guidance on how to remove it. Concerned it might be reverse threaded. Anybody take one of these off before?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
have a look at the bottom of these instructions, they say 45 degree angle push in & turn for the base to that mount thing - have you tried that with the new/old one?
unfortunately that's all I have
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM

I have tried that. That mounting button looks sheared and the mirror just pops off. WHat I am trying to find out is how to get the button off. It looks like it's made of two pieces based on the diagram above. Trying to understand if I can just screw off Part 9 and if so does it turn a specific way

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320 View Post
have a look at the bottom of these instructions, they say 45 degree angle push in & turn for the base to that mount thing - have you tried that with the new/old one?
unfortunately that's all I have
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM

I got the part and it is a single unit that basically glues to the windshield. the diagram made it look like it was two parts. I am taking the car to a auto glass shop tomorrow morning to see if they can put the new mirror on and if not remove the existing 'button' and glue the new one I picked up. Interestingly enough the new button is sliver and not black like the one currently installed. Hopefully I won't end up with a silver dot on my windshield.

On the positive side, with the new mirror plugged in and dangling I was able to test it out and it seems to work. Even programmed the homelink UGDO. Wife will be happy.

Last edited by Yomama; 12-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
That's Good - I was wondering about - if it was like that.. the glue that is used to attach
it comes in clear or black, so it's your choice if you want the black back
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 AM

I read those instructions from John320 again and I think this is where I screwed up:

"Snap out interior mirror (1) from mirror mount (2) towards front
with increasing pressure (not abruptly) and remove"

I twisted it off. I could have sworn those were the directions in some of the retro-fit DIY threads. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320 View Post
That's Good - I was wondering about - if it was like that.. the glue that is used to attach
it comes in clear or black, so it's your choice if you want the black back
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: M3/X3/XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama View Post
I twisted it off.
You removed it correctly and the "mounting screw" in your photo appears to be fine. The "mounting screw" doesn't have threads that can be sheared, rather it is a hexagon mounting plate. Follow the directions in the PDF that John320 provided - the key is to start with the mirror at a 45 degree angle before twisting it back on. Let me know how it goes.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Sheared might be the wrong word. There is a notch in each side of of the hexagon that the mirror latches on to. The uppder left hand corner of the hexagon is missing the mounting notch because it was 'sheared' when I twisted the mirror to remove it vs popping it off. So now I have to replace it. When I try the remount the mirror it pops off in that left hand corner. I've decided to let the auto glass guy in town do it. I don't want to risk cracking the windshield.

Thanks for the help.

PS if u read the instructions carefully the twisting instructions are for the rain sensor plastic shield. the instructions for the mirror are to pop it off by pushing it towards the windshield.

PSS. Since I wrote this the auto glass guy called to say today was bad. I explained the situation in more detail and he told me he was going to have to use a propane torch to heat the mounting button to get it off. I told him the car had a rain senseor that was positioned next to the button. Sounds like that is going to complicate things. I'm going to research the forum, but does anybody know if the rain sensor can be removed and re-attached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagrin View Post
You removed it correctly and the "mounting screw" in your photo appears to be fine. The "mounting screw" doesn't have threads that can be sheared, rather it is a hexagon mounting plate. Follow the directions in the PDF that John320 provided - the key is to start with the mirror at a 45 degree angle before twisting it back on. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Yomama; 12-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama View Post
The upper left hand corner of the hexagon is missing the mounting notch because it was 'sheared' when I twisted the mirror to remove it vs popping it off. So now I have to replace it. When I try the remount the mirror it pops off in that left hand corner.
Wow, if you actually broke off one of the sides of the hexagon mount, then you must have been pretty determined to remove it. Good luck with the windshield repairman!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Victory (at least this battle)

After hearing the auto glass guy say he was going to use a propane torch to take the mounting button off I got a little nervous and decided to tackle it myself. I first made sure we have full glass coverage.

The plan was to use the butane torch my wife uses for cooking (U know for melting sugar on top of creme brulee). I decided since it was chilly here (55) that it might be a good idea to warm up the glass around the button with a hair dryer first.

I noticed after a few minutes of heating the button/glass that the button was pretty hot to the touch. So I slipped 1 1/4" paint scraper behind the button and give it a gentle whack with a hammer. The button flew off with the 2nd whack.

What was left on the windshield was a uniform paper like consistency glue. I reheated the area with the blow dryer and took the rest off with the scraper.

I picked up a Permatex extreme adhesive kit from Pep Boys and plan to hang the button and mirror tomorrow. Here are some pictures:

The moment of victory!! :-) The white marks around the glue is chalk I used to mark the area and not scratches. there is only 1 minor scratch where the black paint came off the windshield. Should be able to hide it with a black marker.

The perfect size scraper: 1 1/4 inch. Get the flexible one so u can pull the handle away from the windshield when hitting it with hammer

The heaters:

The old and new button. New one from BMW is silver (see part number in one of the posts above).

Last edited by Yomama; 12-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM

I glued the new button on yesterday being ever so careful. Instructions said it would set in 15 minutes. I let it set overnight just be safe. Tried to put the new mirror on today. Hold mirror at 45%, turn gently to the left and pop the button flew off the mirror.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Is this what you used? If so, I'll make sure to stay away from it.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9310146/

Last edited by chagrin; 12-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.