Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
has anyone tried Splash "hand wash" in CT?

I have a new Black Sapphire Metallic 328i and have been browsing the forum to see how best to take care of it.

Having read a few stories about swirl marks and scratches from poor washing habits, I'm a bit paranoid about getting it washed. I know automated car washes are out of the question so I've been getting "hand washes" at Splash in CT.

http://www.splashcarwashes.com/categ.../hand-wash.htm

Basically, they hose down the car before hand washing with mitts, the car is then machine dried and finally any residual water is hand dried using microfiber cloths. The last bit worries me a bit since the drying cloths are kept out in the open air and the same cloths are used on lots of cars. Does this sound like a recipe for getting swirls/scratches?

Has anyone else tried Splash?

I used them a couple of times so far, no damage as yet but I could just have been lucky.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
I wouldn't use Splash, for the exact reason you mention - the mitts are used over and over on many different cars.

The best way to deal with this situation, other than purchasing a good mitt and hand washing yourself, is to go to a good shop that will hand-wash the car for you. I use a detailing shop in Danbury called Gotham Auto - they do a good job and for 25 bucks, it isn't much more expensive than your next best option- the touchless car wash ( I use Crossroads car wash in Bethel CT).

Winter is tough on our cars, it's often too cold to dyi, and of course, road grime and salt builds up quickly. My advice, don't sweat it, just use one of the above options and pay for a good detailing in the spring - your car will look great for years (mine still does and it's about to turn six years old).

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
I wouldn't use Splash, for the exact reason you mention - the mitts are used over and over on many different cars.

The best way to deal with this situation, other than purchasing a good mitt and hand washing yourself, is to go to a good shop that will hand-wash the car for you. I use a detailing shop in Danbury called Gotham Auto - they do a good job and for 25 bucks, it isn't much more expensive than your next best option- the touchless car wash ( I use Crossroads car wash in Bethel CT).

Winter is tough on our cars, it's often too cold to dyi, and of course, road grime and salt builds up quickly. My advice, don't sweat it, just use one of the above options and pay for a good detailing in the spring - your car will look great for years (mine still does and it's about to turn six years old).
Thanks for the advice, I'll give Gotham a go for the next wash. 25 bucks sounds pretty good, cheaper than the express wash at Splash too
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'll give Gotham a go for the next wash. 25 bucks sounds pretty good, cheaper than the express wash at Splash too
Here's the url http://gothamauto.com/

Enjoy!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Don't know where in CT you are, but I've been using Automobilia in West Haven for many years. (They started out in Milford.)

First rate hand car wash, by appointment only, but not crazy expensive. The owner, Alex, is a car nut and he really knows what he's doing. Highly recommended. I have no affiliation. Just a loyal customer.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Stay away from the auto car washes, they do more harm than good

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
Stay away from the auto car washes, they do more harm than good
That's easy to say when you're in Sonoma CA, but up here in the brutally cold winters of the north east - touchless car washes, and/or hand car washes serve a purpose.

Still, staying away from any automated process that touches the car is advisable.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
That's easy to say when you're in Sonoma CA, but up here in the brutally cold winters of the north east - touchless car washes, and/or hand car washes serve a purpose.

Still, staying away from any automated process that touches the car is advisable.
I understand that Ed, what I have seen of these places (even the hand wash places) they are doing a lot of very dirty cars a day. The quality control over the wash mitts / towels or whatever they are using would be my concern.

That's what I was pointing out, and I can say I feel for you guys that live in those areas and want to keep your car look nice in those conditions.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
The quality control over the wash mitts / towels or whatever they are using would be my concern.
That's one reason I really like the guys I use. They change mitts every car.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeta View Post
That's one reason I really like the guys I use. They change mitts every car.
That's huge!!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM

I leased a Saab for three years, and used these guys for every wash. When I turned the car in (which was a very dark green), the dealer couldn't believe it was three years old. Careful washing really makes a difference.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
splash in darien, by the chipotle has 24 hour self wash, at least the last time i was there..

if you go late enough, just bring ur bucket and wash it by hand and rise off using their water, i think 5 dollar gets you 5 min of the machine, so you can just get 5 min of water rinse after you wash your car by yourself..

yeah it would be freezing cold at that point.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
http://www.splashcarwashes.com/categ.../darien-ct.htm - 24 hour self wash... bring your own sponges
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 335ISC + 535XI + 335i
Quote:

Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
My black metallic is almost here and i have no clue where i'm gonna wash it in the winter. i keep hearing touchless kills the paint
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM

If West Haven is close to you, give Automobilia a try.

I've heard the same thing about automatic touchless washes. The chemicals are supposed to be tough on paint, but it has to be better than a conventional car wash with brushes.

Last edited by gweeta; 12-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.