Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Blackbox (Event Data recorder)

Do we have one?
If so where is it?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Yes! there is a data recorder I understand within the ECU, how much and what type of data it holds I do not know! but BMW dealers can interrogate it if they wish. I am aware that on the M series 3/5/6 models data is recorded, for example they only warrant the clutch provided the driver has not used launch control more than 5 times in the life of the car or between clutch changes !!!!! They know what speeds have been done, engine rev ranges etc etc. I have also heard they read the key when you go in for a service, whether this is the same data not sure!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 12-07-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
What kind of information were you hoping the car would store?

- I know the power module stores the condition of the car battery over the previous 5 days. It also recorders the percentage charge the battery had in the five journeys recently completed. It also stores the number of kms & the date since the last time the battery was changed, assuming it is registered properly.

- The SMG module stores the number of times launch control is used (M6).

- Adaptations are stored for engine & gearbox

- Details of the five previous journeys like number of km travelled & average speed also stored

- The heating, locks, radio, seats & steering wheel remember settings for the different keys used with the car.

- The current state of all the service items is stored with estimated percentage of life left till the next replacement date

- The vehicle build (VO) is stored in the CAS & LMA modules (in both in case one fails). The VO is a list of all the options in the car

- Each model is coded according the the market it is sold in & is model specific coded where the same module is used in multiple cars.

- The airbag module stores cash data in the event of a cash, what was deployed when, what speed was, etc.

There's probably lots more information remembered across multiple modules but there's no central place for it all.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 AM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Just curious...
There has been a lot of talk lately on cars in the USA be equipped with event recorders for possible investigative actions in the event of an accident.
Data like if you are wearing your seat-belt, speed etc for insurance companies and law enforcement.
Its bringing up a lot of big brother issues and so people are out to see how they can disable them...

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
Just curious...
There has been a lot of talk lately on cars in the USA be equipped with event recorders for possible investigative actions in the event of an accident.
Data like if you are wearing your seat-belt, speed etc for insurance companies and law enforcement.
Its bringing up a lot of big brother issues and so people are out to see how they can disable them...
It may very well be recorded, I know when you read a fault it usually gives lots of supporting info where relevant, like the miles when error occurred, engine temp, speed, rpm value, frequency of occurance, etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Here's an example of what is recorded:

Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
That's pretty cool. What software is that?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtaka View Post
That's pretty cool. What software is that?
That is DIS (v57) software. Here is another two screen shots. The first one shows the state of charge over the past 5 days.
The second shot is showing the number of hours the battery has spent in each of the bands of percentage state of charge. It also shows when the battery was registered.