Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I threw out the mailer I received from BMW a couple of days ago and also the email that I received. This is what I copied from the BMWUSA site:

Enjoy a Holiday Credit of up to $3,500 on select models at the BMW Happier New Year Event, now until January 2, 2013.1
Current and returning BMW owners can get $750 in lease/finance Loyalty Cash on any new 2012 or 2013 BMW.2
Existing BMW Financial Services customers can take up to $700 off a new 2012 or 2013 BMW. Just download the BMW Ultimate Drive App and take a test drive.
Offer ends December 31, 2012.3

I'll ask my dealer what cars BMW includes on this deal when I take my wife's car in for service for something they screwed up last week when it was there. I love wasting my time!
There's $1000 incentives on 2013 328s, $1500 on 328 coupes etc. $3500 is probably on 7 series or something.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: F30 Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderSteer View Post
Most 7 buyers and are cross shopping the Mercedes S Class, Audi A8, Jag XK, Porsche Panamera. But I suppose there are buyers who had a 3, liked it and then moved on to the 5 and 7. The 7 does not tend to be a first car. And I think this works both way. The 7 gets some sports cred from the 3 and the 3 gets some luxury cred from the 7.
+1. Very well stated.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
The ATS may very well be the best all around entry level sport sedan, but what PISSES me off about GM is that they always leave their vehicles less than perfect. That CUE is going to be devastating. It's a very laggy touchscreen system thats already behind the curve even before its fully available. I't like they've been focused on BMW's dynamics so hard that they completely missed Ford's Sync system and how bad the ratings were on it.

The competition already has instrument cluster-level infotainment screens without touch screen, but GM decided not to do the same. I hope this car delivers because just like Sync, that CUE system will keep it from being perfect. Touch screens (in vehicles) are a thing of the past especially since top manufactures are now elevating them to keep them at eye level.
At a local upscale mall, Cadillac is showing both an XTS and an ATS with the 3.6L -- the latter is supposed to be a direct competitor of my 335i.

While I didn't drive the car (obviously), I did get to sit in it and play with CUE.

The press has been easy on it, even though they've been savaging it. For me, the most disappointing thing about CUE is that the lower section of controls (the part with the power and volume controls) actually flexes 1/4 of an inch every time you press a control. I couldn't believe it did this -- but the XTS also displayed the same behavior.

The Caddy attendant confirmed this was be design.

It completely ruins any perception of quality -- it feels just like the switchgear in a late 90s Chevy Beretta. I am amazed that GM would design a car with "flexing" control panels given that they are trying to restore their reputation for quality. It feels weird, looks weird and it totally out of place in a $50K car.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
There's $1000 incentives on 2013 328s, $1500 on 328 coupes etc. $3500 is probably on 7 series or something.
Thanks for the clarification.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
If CUE is the only gripe...

I'd say GM has hit a damn Home Run with this vehicle!

~ Big Marcus
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
If CUE is the only gripe...

I'd say GM has hit a damn Home Run with this vehicle!

~ Big Marcus
Yeah, except thousands of BMW owners on this site have been talking about this car for almost a year and not a single one of us has any interest in buying one.

It's a "home run" if you own a Buick or are a 70 year old on a fixed income.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Yeah, except thousands of BMW owners on this site have been talking about this car for almost a year and not a single one of us has any interest in buying one.

BJ
Mmm Hmmm.....

~ Big Marcus
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Mmm Hmmm.....

~ Big Marcus
When is Big Marcus buying his Cadillac ATS?

Yup. Thought so.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

BJ
C'mon BJ stop with the bald faced lies. Plenty here had expressed interest in the ATS including myself. If you are going to keep repeating your tired shtick, at least be accurate. I'm a BMW guy for sure, and from the enthusiast side and the ATS appeals to me.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:

BJ
Probably not thousands, more like 6. But someone clearly needs to step up to the plate.

Not gonna be me, $50k buys a lot of German car.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
You know what? I'm going to reserve my judgment until I've driven one. Plain and simple.

I buy BMW not because of the toys, or even the quality of the dash materials; I am on my third BMW car now because of driving dynamics. Yes, the other stuff feeds into the perception of the car, but for me 95% of the car is how it feels when I change gears, push the throttle and turn the steering wheel into a sweeping turn.

I won't discount GM; they've built some damned good cars. Back in 1999 I had a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (my first ever brand new car). Talk about horrible interior materials; but that engine was seriously to die for and just the addition of a strut tower brace completely changed the feel of that thing's steering in the corners. A smaller supercharger pulley and some minor engine mods and the thing was a seriously smoking-fast car. From a driving dynamics perspective it only fell behind because it was front wheel drive. Later versions of the same car never quite had the same feel. I only got rid of it because my new and newly pregnant wife hated the hard ride and the rather unyielding leather.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
C'mon BJ stop with the bald faced lies. Plenty here had expressed interest in the ATS including myself. If you are going to keep repeating your tired shtick, at least be accurate.
BJ and facts?

Like oil and water, BJ and accuracy are mutually repellant.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Given that reasoning why doesn't the F30 come off as a poor man's 5 or 7 Series?
The 3 defines BMW, but the S defines MB. The 7 is the "big BMW", but the C is the "baby Benz."

While I would pick the 3 over the C every day, I would probably pick the S over the 7 if I were to buy that kind of a car.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
The 3 defines BMW, but the S defines MB. The 7 is the "big BMW", but the C is the "baby Benz."

While I would pick the 3 over the C every day, I would probably pick the S over the 7 if I were to buy that kind of a car.
well said
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post

I agree and I think that when most people think of a Mercedes they think of an S Class and when they think of a BMW they think of a 3 Series. Based on that Mercedes is generally perceived as a higher end car than BMW. If you are concerned with that kind of stuff you would probably tend to buy an S Class. I bought a 750 after driving both but the S and the 7 are both terrific cars if you are looking for a large luxury sedan. I just got back from Florida where I had a rental C Class for a month. It was a base model and neither my wife or I did not think it drove as well as our 335i. I have never driven a base 3 Series so maybe that was not a fair comparison,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-08-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
C'mon BJ stop with the bald faced lies. Plenty here had expressed interest in the ATS including myself
Ok, so when does yours arrive?

Crass though he may be, he's got a point, which is that there's a big difference between "expressing interest" and actually pulling the trigger.

Seriously, I can't imagine looking at an F30 and an ATS side by side and picking the Caddy. Can you? Really?

Forget driving it (I'm sure I'd be pleasantly surprised how good it is), I just can't get past the styling... it's juvenile and shouty, unrefined... trying to distinguish itself with the overly angular motif, contrived and trying too hard, like they're desperately trying to get it to work, and it still doesn't... they've been trying to get that design language right for a decade now, and it still fails.

(just one professional designer's opinion, let's call it my 3 cents)

Last edited by otonimus; 12-08-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Ok, so when does yours arrive?

Crass though he may be, he's got a point, which is that there's a big difference between "expressing interest" and actually pulling the trigger.

Seriously, I can't imagine looking at an F30 and an ATS side by side and picking the Caddy. Can you? Really?

Forget driving it (I'm sure I'd be pleasantly surprised how good it is), I just can't get past the styling... it's juvenile and shouty, unrefined... trying to distinguish itself with the overly angular motif, contrived and trying too hard, like they're desperately trying to get it to work, and it still doesn't... they've been trying to get that design language right for a decade now, and it still fails.

(just one professional designer's opinion, let's call it my 3 cents)
I have a year left on the lease of my 2011 so not till then will I look at the ATS seriously. If it fits in my budget which is my first consideration I'll consider it. If it drives well then I'll seriously consider it. I have no problem with the design which I find taut and muscular. I like the angular look and don't find the F30 (or even my E90) to be anything other than fairly attractive but far from exciting.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 12-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I like the angular look and don't find the F30 (or even my E90) to be anything other than fairly attractive but far from exciting.
Fair enough, if we all dug the same things it would be a boring world

In my opinion, the problem with "exciting" is that it has no staying power... flashy and eye-catching at first, but 6 months after you first see it, it fades into the landscape of forgettable designs, ultimately unsatisfying.

The most successful efforts of BMW, Audi, and Merc aren't "exciting", but 10 years out they still work. Early 2000's S4, mid-2000's E Class, etc. 1986 M3 anyone?

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by otonimus; 12-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
In my opinion, the problem with "exciting" is that it has no staying power... flashy and eye-catching at first, but 6 months after you first see it, it fades into the landscape of forgettable designs, ultimately unsatisfying.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
C'mon BJ stop with the bald faced lies. Plenty here had expressed interest in the ATS including myself. If you are going to keep repeating your tired shtick, at least be accurate. I'm a BMW guy for sure, and from the enthusiast side and the ATS appeals to me.
A lot of BMW owners are expressing "interest" in the concept but no one has expressed interest in "buying" and those are two very different things. One thing to admire what GM is attempting to do, another thing entirely to feel strongly enough to purchase one.

So far, in the dozens of threads by hundreds of BF members in thousands of posts stretching back 10+ months not a single person has stepped up and said "I am buying an ATS". Not one. And those who have expressed "interest" seem to be doing so to prove a point to BMW about how Cadillac is taking the enthusiasts more seriously than BMW themselves are, not because they want to buy one. That's my perception, YMMV.

BJ

Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
I just can't get past the styling... it's juvenile and shouty, unrefined...
The center dash reminds of the overdone boomboxes from Aiwa, Sony, Kenwood, etc. of yesteryears with too many lights. Not very tasteful...at least not my taste.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 AM

Captain Audio: well of course there are exceptions...

Remember the first time you saw a Dodge Magnum wagon? Admit it, it looked pquite "exciting" at the time. Pretty bad*ss... now it's just another american car, unrefined and cheap looking... no staying power
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
A lot of BMW owners are expressing "interest" in the concept but no one has expressed interest in "buying" and those are two very different things. One thing to admire what GM is attempting to do, another thing entirely to feel strongly enough to purchase one.

So far, in the dozens of threads by hundreds of BF members in thousands of posts stretching back 10+ months not a single person has stepped up and said "I am buying an ATS". Not one. And those who have expressed "interest" seem to be doing so to prove a point to BMW about how Cadillac is taking the enthusiasts more seriously than BMW themselves are, not because they want to buy one. That's my perception, YMMV.

BJ
You are saying that no one is buying the ATS and then limiting your observations to a BMW specific forum. Does that make sense in the big picture? Also, most here already own a 3 series or are locked into a lease so aren't really in the market. The big picture is the ATS right off the bat and as a clean sheet design is good enough to compete against the F30 if not yet a perfect car (nor is the F30). Time will tell if the ATS is a success and there is no reason to think it won't do well.

As far as Cadillac taking enthusiasts more seriously, in terms of sharpness of handling we know they have succeeded. As an all around car, not so much yet. This is where the F30 is a better designed car at this point.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
The center dash reminds of the overdone boomboxes from Aiwa, Sony, Kenwood, etc. of yesteryears with too many lights. Not very tasteful...at least not my taste.
That center dash styling to me seems very unthought out. As I recall it is the same as the CTS. I have driven the CTS and the center dash was one of the biggest things that pushed me away from it. For my driving positions the dash was pushing my leg over and making the car feel much smaller than it is.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
That center dash styling to me seems very unthought out. As I recall it is the same as the CTS. I have driven the CTS and the center dash was one of the biggest things that pushed me away from it. For my driving positions the dash was pushing my leg over and making the car feel much smaller than it is.
The automotive world needs to come together and agree that it's time to stop trying to make plastic look like metal. Full stop.