Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
I was in the market for a car in this segment, I saw the reviews, I went to a Cadillac dealership and sat in it. I did not drive it and am sure the reviewers are telling the truth that it drives well.

I chose the 335i.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You are saying that no one is buying the ATS and then limiting your observations to a BMW specific forum. Does that make sense in the big picture? Also, most here already own a 3 series or are locked into a lease so aren't really in the market. The big picture is the ATS right off the bat and as a clean sheet design is good enough to compete against the F30 if not yet a perfect car (nor is the F30). Time will tell if the ATS is a success and there is no reason to think it won't do well.

As far as Cadillac taking enthusiasts more seriously, in terms of sharpness of handling we know they have succeeded. As an all around car, not so much yet. This is where the F30 is a better designed car at this point.
Here's what I'm saying:

For the amount of ATS' sold to date and the amount of potential BMW converts to an ATS we spend way too much time discussing this vehicle in the F30 forum. I'd expect to find a lot of spirited Audi and Mercedes talk in here, the occasional E90 debates too, but to see this endless stream of non-stop Cadillac chatter is ridiculous as it's not a serious competitor to the 3 Series.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Here's what I'm saying:

For the amount of ATS' sold to date and the amount of potential BMW converts to an ATS we spend way too much time discussing this vehicle in the F30 forum. I'd expect to find a lot of spirited Audi and Mercedes talk in here, the occasional E90 debates too, but to see this endless stream of non-stop Cadillac chatter is ridiculous as it's not a serious competitor to the 3 Series.

BJ
Don't you think it's a bit disingenuous of you to comment on the amount of ATS discussion here as you are a big part of each thread? If you don't want the topics to go on, don't drive the discussion.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Don't you think it's a bit disingenuous of you to comment on the amount of ATS discussion here as you are a big part of each thread? If you don't want the topics to go on, don't drive the discussion.
A fair point.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Autoguide just announced ATS 3.6 the second of the three Car of the Year finalists (Scion fr-s first announced), will be interesting to see which is the 3rd.

Similar to MT, they had a list of issues with the ATS, but the fun driving factor seemed enough to get them to overlook all of the issues.

I am ready to replace my car a year from now, yes ATS will be on my short list. But if they don't offer a blacked out trim I might just skip ATS. I hate shining chrome all over.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Returned from Florida on Sunday. I rented a C Class from Hertz for a month. If they had an ATS I would have rented one. They had a CTS but no ATS.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
You know, just for fun we might go check one out on Saturday. Problem is, if they have a red CTS-V wagon, I'll need a crowbar to get Mrs. MMME30W out.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
You know, just for fun we might go check one out on Saturday. Problem is, if they have a red CTS-V wagon, I'll need a crowbar to get Mrs. MMME30W out.
Does that mean she really likes the car or she eats too much chocolate?

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Returned from Florida on Sunday. I rented a C Class from Hertz for a month. If they had an ATS I would have rented one. They had a CTS but no ATS.

CA
Cadillac probably has not produced cars for the rental market yet while they are rolling the ATS out into retail.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Does that mean she really likes the car or she eats too much chocolate?
She likes the V8. As a wagon. In Red.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Cadillac probably has not produced cars for the rental market yet while they are rolling the ATS out into retail.
Some reported seeing rental ATSs even before retail delivery, but they were 2.5L, the model almost all reviews thought GM should never have built, which I agree. Get rid of the 2.5, price the 2.0T at its level, and the 3.6 at the 2.0T level.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Hertz has them listed in the Prestige Collection but when I try to book one they do show up on the list.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Autoguide just announced ATS 3.6 the second of the three Car of the Year finalists (Scion fr-s first announced), will be interesting to see which is the 3rd.

Similar to MT, they had a list of issues with the ATS, but the fun driving factor seemed enough to get them to overlook all of the issues.

I am ready to replace my car a year from now, yes ATS will be on my short list. But if they don't offer a blacked out trim I might just skip ATS. I hate shining chrome all over.
Autoguide? Who?

What's next? Better Homes & Gardens? Frank's Favorite Cars Dot Com? My mothers' friends' sisters' brother ran into a guy who knew a postman who overheard someone say that he might buy an ATS. Does that count too?

BJ

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Autoguide? Who?

What's next? Better Homes & Gardens? Frank's Favorite Cars Dot Com? My mothers' friends' sisters' brother ran into a guy who knew a postman who overheard someone say that he might buy an ATS. Does that count too?

BJ
Every auto publication that has tested the ATS had a favorable impression of it and stated that it was a very impressive first attempt by Cadillac to enter the compact sport sedan market. The list includes Automobile, Road and Track, Car and Driver, and Automobile.

The latest is Autoweek.

"Fortunately for Cadillac, Zelenka and his associates didn't deliver crap. There's Audi/BMW/Mercedes-Benz-grade engineering to the ATS's core-world class, no qualifiers. There's no evidence that Cadillac has taken the easy way or even the most cost-effective way. The ATS is fundamentally solid and inherently balanced. Its three engine options start near the tip in terms of output and technology. The car offers rear- or all-wheel drive out of the box, and its power-to-weight ratios are best in class. With the ATS, Cadillac finally has a second sedan that Audi/BMW/Mercedes drivers (or wannabes) might actually think about buying, in a more lucrative chunk of the market."

"Short of back-to-back drives, we'll venture this: Measured by "light, nimble, fun" and balance and inherent goodness, the ATS belongs in the same sentence as the BMW 3-series."

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz2EhpTNO1i

You don't wan't one. We get that. You made your point.

I am not on the market for one either but I don't feel the need to state it every other post in every thread that mentions the ATS and I accept the opinions of professionals who have actually driven one that it is a very good car.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
They sell a s.hitload of Escalades around here because women used to own Suburbans before hubby moved them up to the big house. Virtually none of these people will have an ATS in their driveway. Maybe it's because they remember gramps picking lint out of his navel in a similarly ugly Cadillac.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Blue Bimmer!

Mein Auto: 2013 335i EBII
Before picking up my 2013 335 M-Sport 6spd last weekend I did test drive the automatic ATS 3.6 Premium. The car drove excellent and the fit/finish was excellent. I would have considered one if they offered a manual in their 3.6 models. Unfortunatly, they only offer the manual on the 2.0T which I have no interest in.

The CA that helped me said they have done a few updated to the CUE system since it was introduced. The one I tested worked well. I did not have any of the issues reviewers had with the system. This car will likely start selling well once they build up inventory levels. The funny thing is the CA told me the 2.5 model is selling really well because most of the customers dont care about the engine. They want the styling and the features.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
Before picking up my 2013 335 M-Sport 6spd last weekend I did test drive the automatic ATS 3.6 Premium. The car drove excellent and the fit/finish was excellent. I would have considered one if they offered a manual in their 3.6 models. Unfortunatly, they only offer the manual on the 2.0T which I have no interest in.

The CA that helped me said they have done a few updated to the CUE system since it was introduced. The one I tested worked well. I did not have any of the issues reviewers had with the system. This car will likely start selling well once they build up inventory levels. The funny thing is the CA told me the 2.5 model is selling really well because most of the customers dont care about the engine. They want the styling and the features.
That sounds like BJ as well. He seems to be more interested in form over function.

I have to spend a couple of hours at the BMW dealer on Wednesday for my wife's 535xi. I'm hoping to drive the new 6 Series 4 door coupe, and if I get the chance, an F30 328i. I really hope that I like the F30, and if I don't, I will try to keep my mouth shut so I don't get chastised.

Current Stablemates:

Last edited by beden1; 12-11-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
That sounds like BJ as well. He seems to be more interested in form over function.

I have to spend a couple of hours at the BMW dealer on Wednesday for my wife's 535xi. I'm hoping to drive the new 6 Series 4 door coupe, and if I get the chance, an F30 328i. I really hope that I like the F30, and if I don't, I will try to keep my mouth shut so I don't get chastised.
I personally appreciate the combination of form and function, that's why I choose BMW.

When I refer to the Cadillac ATS in these threads, I am referring to the "typical American luxury car buyer" who most definitely cares more about form than function (and about status symbols above either), that's not some controversial opinion, that's fact.

BJ

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post

The funny thing is the CA told me the 2.5 model is selling really well because most of the customers dont care about the engine. They want the styling and the features.

I'll take it one step further: They want the $299 monthly lease payment, the lowest of any other sport sedan in its segment.

Buick owner walks into a Cadillac dealership, realizes that he can be driving a Caddy for the same money as a LaCrosse. Breaks down, starts crying, "See ma, I made it....I made it."

BJ

Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:

I'll take it one step further: They want the $299 monthly lease payment, the lowest of any other sport sedan in its segment.

Buick owner walks into a Cadillac dealership, realizes that he can be driving a Caddy for the same money as a LaCrosse. Breaks down, starts crying, "See ma, I made it....I made it."

BJ
Is that Al Jolson? By the way I moved from a CTS to a 3 series and thought I made it! At least to the sport sedan of my dreams at the time.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Is that Al Jolson? By the way I moved from a CTS to a 3 series and thought I made it! At least to the sport sedan of my dreams at the time.
You could have been a contender if you bought an ATS.

Current Stablemates:
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I am sure it’s a great car for people who can't afford a BMW or just want an American sports car. But the only thing about the ATS they don't seem to point out in reviews. Is everything the ATS does amazingly well it does something equally horrible.

It handles like an E46...but the ride is rough and harsh.

The interior looks great...but feels cheap.

The chassis is amazing but the powertrain are no so amazing.

It has great technology but the Cue system is an abomination.

Trust me I am not hating on the ATS I think for the right people this will be a great car. I am just not sure they are going to get enough people to switch from other brands.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
I am sure it’s a great car for people who can't afford a BMW or just want an American sports car. But the only thing about the ATS they don't seem to point out in reviews. Is everything the ATS does amazingly well it does something equally horrible.

It handles like an E46...but the ride is rough and harsh.

The interior looks great...but feels cheap.

The chassis is amazing but the powertrain are no so amazing.

It has great technology but the Cue system is an abomination.

Trust me I am not hating on the ATS I think for the right people this will be a great car. I am just not sure they are going to get enough people to switch from other brands.
The E46 did not ride like a limousine so there's that and the interior from what I've seen in person doesn't feel any cheaper than an F30, just different. Cue is not an "abomination" but it needs to be better and the 3.6 powertrain is universally acclaimed as a gem. yes the 2.0T is lacking as is it's transmission which is an issue for an enthusiast who wants a MT. The general public who wants an entry level luxury sport sedan will probably care less unless they just want the badge.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
ATS available with factory LSD and has better warranty than BMW.

For the avg driver the ATS is probably a better deal.

FWIW I'm still disappointed in the F30 NAV. WTH. Too cheap to make it fold into the dash like Audi.
Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
ATS available with factory LSD and has better warranty than BMW.

For the avg driver the ATS is probably a better deal.

FWIW I'm still disappointed in the F30 NAV. WTH. Too cheap to make it fold into the dash like Audi.
Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Its hard to drive when you are on LSD, but I am sure factory LSD is better than street LSD.