Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Current snap-in adapter: Modify for iphone 5?

So I have the snap-in adapter for iphone 4

I wonder, could it be modified to fit the iphone 5? A new adapter might be a ways off (anyone know when it's due?)

I have access to a milling machine, plastics, etc, and lots of experience in model making, prototyping, etc (I'm an Industrial Designer)... so making it longer shouldn't be too bad...

But the 5 uses an all new charging plug, so that's probably quite tricky to deal with.

Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Hmmm, maybe incorporate one of these?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
I guess the real question is, why do you want the snap-in adapter anyway?

The snap-in adapter has one significant upside over just using the standard USB port and a white Apple cord (iPod Out) and a few significant downsides (trapping phone in armrest, no audible text alerts, no split-screen, etc.).

Most of us deal with the loss of the Apple user interface and adapt to the BMW interface very quickly, and the upsides of not having to jail the iPhone in the armrest and gaining split-screen for our iTunes collections are more important.

We debated this months ago here, screenshots of the varying music screens for reference:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7076435

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I guess the real question is, why do you want the snap-in adapter anyway?

The snap-in adapter has one significant upside over just using the standard USB port and a white Apple cord (iPod Out) and a few significant downsides (trapping phone in armrest, no audible text alerts, no split-screen, etc.).

Most of us deal with the loss of the Apple user interface and adapt to the BMW interface very quickly, and the upsides of not having to jail the iPhone in the armrest and gaining split-screen for our iTunes collections are more important.

We debated this months ago here, screenshots of the varying music screens for reference:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7076435

BJ
Thanks for posting that link. VERY helpful.
You just saved me $250. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
Thanks for posting that link. VERY helpful.
You just saved me $250. Thanks!
Glad to help, just paying it forward as Technic and other posters did likewise for me a few months ago.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Good points, but I really can't stand dealing with a cord to plug in. And if it means I look at my phone less while driving, that's not a bad thing. I dig the snap-in.

What gets me is how lame BMW apps is... really, who needs fb and twitter in the car? Maybe some more apps in the future that are actually useful?

Last edited by otonimus; 12-09-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Good points, but I really can't stand dealing with a cord to plug in. I dig the snap-in.

What gets me is how lame BMW apps is... really, who needs fb and twitter in the car? Maybe some more apps in the future that are actually useful?
The Pandora app + BMW apps is great.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The Pandora app + BMW apps is great.
I still get confused as to what "BMW Apps" really means, and if you need the snap-in for it.

But whatever.

Stitcher from the iphone via snap-in, music from a 128 gig flash drive, I'm good. Hate cables.

The flash drive doesn't leave the car, so if I just want music I don't need to snap the phone in. For long drives I love to have Stitcher

Last edited by otonimus; 12-09-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I still get confused as to what "BMW Apps" really means, and if you need the snap-in for it.

But whatever.
What BMW Apps means: You pay for a) the car to be able to handle them via USB b) the ability to run the BMW Connected app which provides a set of built-in applications optimized for the iDrive platform.

The snap-in adapter: This is NOT needed for BMW Apps as the white Apple cord goes straight into the USB port and you get identical functionality.

If you want Facebook or Twitter integration, you need BMW Apps because the native iPhone apps can't connect to iDrive any other way.

If you want Pandora or Stitcher integration which are apps whose iPhone version can connect to iDrive, you don't need BMW Apps but you do need Enhanced Bluetooth & USB in order to get those to function in the car.

The snap-in adapter only has a single real-world function that differentiates it from the standard white Apple USB cord and that's iPod Out which looks sexy but hurts you more than helps you (no split-screen) and requires the iPhone to be locked in the armrest (no text alerts).

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
If you want Pandora or Stitcher integration which are apps whose iPhone version can connect to iDrive, you don't need BMW Apps but you do need Enhanced Bluetooth & USB in order to get those to function in the car.
BJ
Your leaving out one of the main benefits of BMW apps. With supported applications, you have a much more robust and integrated interface with the iDrive. For example, with Pandora, you can thumbs up/down right from the iDrive. You also get pandora cover art, not sure if this is the case with USB-only.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Stitcher from the iphone via snap-in, music from a 128 gig flash drive, I'm good. Hate cables.

The flash drive doesn't leave the car, so if I just want music I don't need to snap the phone in. For long drives I love to have Stitcher
I hate cables too. I have the Technology Package which for 2013 includes BMW Apps as well as BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB. Here's what I do:

- I have a beater iPod Touch that never leaves my F30's armrest, connected via white Apple cord into USB port.

- I have an iPhone 5 that never gets cabled to anything, sits in my cupholder connected via Bluetooth.

I have 25,000 songs in iTunes, all tagged properly, all on hundreds of playlists, so I use an iPod to get them into my car. Because it's an iPod Touch, it can connect to iTunes from my garage via wi-fi, never have to bring it in my house to sync new songs to it. I find this is a lot better than using a USB flash drive or loading songs onto the F30 internal hard drive.

When I want to listen to my MP3 collection, I use the iPod Touch. When I want to listen to Pandora, I stream it via Bluetooth. On those very rare occasions that I want to run Facebook or Twitter, I swap the white Apple cord and connect to USB. When I want to send an address to my car or unlock it, I use the BMW Assist Remote app.

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Your leaving out one of the main benefits of BMW apps. With supported applications, you have a much more robust and integrated interface with the iDrive. For example, with Pandora, you can thumbs up/down right from the iDrive. You also get pandora cover art, not sure if this is the case with USB-only.
My understanding is that if you have the Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature on the car and don't have the BMW Apps feature on the car you can still get the Pandora app to function via both USB and Bluetooth in the manner you describe.

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that if you have the Enhanced Bluetooth & USB feature on the car and don't have the BMW Apps feature on the car you can still get the Pandora app to function via both USB and Bluetooth in the manner you describe.

BJ
That is not my experience.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
That is not my experience.
So you have a 2013 without the Technology package, with Enhanced Bluetooth & USB, and without BMW Apps?

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Pandora works wonderfully over BT audio from my phone. Give it a try.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
So you have a 2013 without the Technology package, with Enhanced Bluetooth & USB, and without BMW Apps?

BJ

No. I'm taking about having BT/USB without BMW Apps. You cannot do thumbs up/down (and cover art, if I'm remember correctly) with Pandora. There are other BMW App-specific functions that you cannot access, if you don't have Apps, vs. just Bluetooth.

It's almost a moot point on the F30s, as all cars with Tech Package come with BMW Apps included. Actually.... you won't get the benefit of BMW Apps, if you're only using BT connection.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
No. I'm taking about having BT/USB without BMW Apps. You cannot do thumbs up/down (and cover art, if I'm remember correctly) with Pandora. There are other BMW App-specific functions that you cannot access, if you don't have Apps, vs. just Bluetooth.

It's almost a moot point on the F30s, as all cars with Tech Package come with BMW Apps included. Actually.... you won't get the benefit of BMW Apps, if you're only using BT connection.
Gotcha.

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Compressed audio = fail

This is why a flash drive is better than an iPod/iPhone for music... WAV files for the win
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Compressed audio = fail

This is why a flash drive is better than an iPod/iPhone for music... WAV files for the win
You know about ALAC, right?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Compressed audio = fail

You're not driving a Rolls. The road noise reduces the difference between the two to a negligible amount. Car audio is about quantity not quality, at least in an F30.

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: abcdef
Quote:

I have 25,000 songs in iTunes, all tagged properly, all on hundreds of playlists, so I use an iPod to get them into my car. Because it's an iPod Touch, it can connect to iTunes from my garage via wi-fi, never have to bring it in my house to sync new songs to it. I find this is a lot better than using a USB flash drive or loading songs onto the F30 internal hard drive.
Now that is an idea worth trying. I've got an old iPhone 4 I could use for music and wifi in the garage but had forgotten about the ability to have it sync wirelessly.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You're not driving a Rolls. The road noise reduces the difference between the two to a negligible amount. Car audio is about quantity not quality, at least in an F30.

BJ
I notice a very significant difference. No I'm not imagining it. I have a huge amount of experience in audio, both home and car, don't get me started. Glad you're happy with your substandard source material, don't expect others to be resigned to the same mediocrity.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Anyways, back on topic... I'm going to take a good look at the dock, see if it can be modified.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Now that is an idea worth trying. I've got an old iPhone 4 I could use for music and wifi in the garage but had forgotten about the ability to have it sync wirelessly.

Thanks.
Excellent. Give it a shot.

BJ

Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I notice a very significant difference. No I'm not imagining it. I have a huge amount of experience in audio, both home and car, don't get me started. Glad you're happy with your substandard source material, don't expect others to be resigned to the same mediocrity.
I have a huge amount of experience in audio, more than you, trust me.

In certain environments you abdicate a 10% difference in sound quality for a 1000% difference in quantity of source material. Having 200 WAV's in the car as opposed to 20,000 256Kbps M4A files and depriving yourself of hundreds of artists material at your fingertips defeats the purpose of the function entirely.

BJ