Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: x
Lightbulb What To Do with Extra Smartphone

Now that I've upgraded from EVO 3D to Note2, I've been thinking of ways to utilize the EVO... afterall it's a very fine piece of hardware, and I've already listed it on craiglist hoping to find a buyer (not going with eBay because the going price has been low)

So I could use it to skype with my parents and sister by keeping it signed in all the time... ok... but still I should be able to do better than that.

Enter Google Voice and Talkatone

I only have one cell phone which is already associated with a G-Voice account (Account #1), but I have 2 more Google accounts, one of them being used for spams / craiglist purpose (Account #2). So here are the steps I took:

1. Got a new G-Voice number for the 2nd Google account
2. Attach 2nd G-Voice account with my current cell (Note2) through 2nd account's G-Voice portal, which removed G-Voice account #1 from Note 2
3. Confirm the new G-Voice number forwarded to Note2 (Google calls my Note2 and I enter 2-digit code)
4. Install Talkatone from Google Play on the EVO
5. On the EVO's Talkatone, sign-in Google Voice Account #2
6. Remove G-Voice Account #2 from Note2 by re-associating G-Voice Account #1 to Note2 (again, Google calls my Note2 and I enter another 2-digit code)

And viola, now my HTC EVO 3D can get in-coming and out-going calls, all free, as long as there's wifi connection!
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
I'm not sure what exactly you want to do but it sounds like you want to use your old phone for free using google voice, or just find a use for it!

Things you can do with it:
1. Sell it and make some money!
2. Keep it and use it as a "suedo" tablet for games and stuff when you are bored.
3. Keep it and use google voice on it! se it as a phone for random stuff like craigslist, etc
4. Keep it and get a cheap plan from straight talk or those type of companies with unlimited data for 20-30 bux a month and you can use it for whatever you want, even as a regular phone!
5. Leave it at home and set it up as a security camera if you have kids, etc.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: German
If it has a clean ESN, sell it on Craigslist? Or make it a "tablet"
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
So I could use it to skype with my parents and sister by keeping it signed in all the time... ok... but still I should be able to do better than that.
My phone always has Skype running on it, it's how my family in Europe calls me. I think a second device just for that is kind of a waste.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I put my Iphone 4 on craigslist and sold it in 3 days for $225, so my upgraded iphone 5 was essentially free.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
I'm not sure what exactly you want to do but it sounds like you want to use your old phone for free using google voice, or just find a use for it!

Things you can do with it:
1. Sell it and make some money!
2. Keep it and use it as a "suedo" tablet for games and stuff when you are bored.
3. Keep it and use google voice on it! se it as a phone for random stuff like craigslist, etc
4. Keep it and get a cheap plan from straight talk or those type of companies with unlimited data for 20-30 bux a month and you can use it for whatever you want, even as a regular phone!
5. Leave it at home and set it up as a security camera if you have kids, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
If it has a clean ESN, sell it on Craigslist? Or make it a "tablet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
My phone always has Skype running on it, it's how my family in Europe calls me. I think a second device just for that is kind of a waste.
I've already posted it on craigslist, I'm using it to serve as other purposes until it's been sold (see my original post).

Believe it or not, I just sold the Palm Pre with the touchstone last week for $80, I think not bad for something over 3 years old.

My kids don't need e-sucker, my elder son will not get one from me until maybe two years from now.

In addition to running Skype and using it as a VOIP phone, I've also hooked it up to my old dvd-player/theater system and play Pandora.

Just want to share an idea with you all how to setup a home phone through this route, that's all. I haven't had landline at home for over 10 years, but this additional G-Voice number will come in handy when my parents (they don't live in the US) stay here. I could use it when not at home too, not that I will take it out, but many stores and places (my work location included) have wifi today.

Security camera... that's a very interesting idea...

Last edited by Griffoun; 12-08-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5

Quote:
Baby Monitor AV

Works on Android, iOS, Windows and Mac OSX! The only smartphone baby monitor app that works like a genuine Audio Visual baby monitor.
You can now monitor your baby’s behavior (as it happens) using your Android or iPhone/iPad – and at the same time see and hear it on any other device in your home wireless network – be it a smartphone, Windows PC or Mac computer. This handy application is peace of mind, fun & safety all rolled into one!
The devices in your WiFi network will find each other automatically. All you have to do is start the app in "monitor mode" and then connect up to 4 devices to observe. Transmission of audio and image stream is started automatically once the audio threshold you have set is reached. From your listening device you can trigger transmission at any time - making sure your loved one is safe & sound.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
If you travel abroad often then it is always good to have an extra phone with you to use when abroad with a local sim card. When abroad I turn off Data from local number and use that phone to see who is calling and use the other smartphone with a number and data plan in the country that I am visiting.

If you never travel abroad then I would just sell it.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
What To Do with Extra Smartphone

I considered putting together a robot using a cell as the processor. Almost seems too easy to use a mini-linux cpu for just such a task, complete with communications.

Like I need another project.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebeemer View Post
I considered putting together a robot using a cell as the processor. Almost seems too easy to use a mini-linux cpu for just such a task, complete with communications.

Like I need another project.
Maybe this is what you need?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Maybe this is what you need?
That is cool.

Brings back memories of etching my own cards, way back in the day.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43 View Post
I put my Iphone 4 on craigslist and sold it in 3 days for $225, so my upgraded iphone 5 was essentially free.
Exactly what I am doing.

Got the iPhone 5 yesterday at BestBuy ($50 off) and put my iPhone 4 on eBay tonite. I always sell my previous gen phone on eBay and it covers the cost of the new one.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"