Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by depingre View Post
now sitting in my garage completely dead.
I am looking for causes. One posting mentioned that if you keep the key near the car it keeps the car awake and draws power. I use to keep my keys right next to the car but have now moved them out of range to see it this helps.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
How many times has this happened?
Consider lemon law?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
We have never kept the key close to the car. There is absolutely no explanations of why this is happening.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM

has anyone had the battery issue with a 2013?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
mine is a 2013 and i still get the message regardless if i charge the battery or drive the car for hours the day before. Its strange....

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I wonder if there is an option that is consistent across the troubled cars vs the cars that show no trouble?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM

I just got an email from my SA saying that my car is ready. This time they only kept it about 18 hours. I am waiting for the GM and SM to return my calls and emails. We are not taking this car back after being stranded 3 times in 4 weeks. We simply do not trust it anymore.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Something i noticed today that could be one of the reasons my car keeps telling me that Increased battery discharge warning....

My car has comfort access and i find that my remote has a unusually long range compared to any other car I've had before. I park my car behind my condo and I am on the 3 floor.....I usually leave my car keys in my room or my office. I could walk half way through my condo and still be able to lock and unlock my car. I never could have done that with my old E90 which also had comfort access. I think when the key is within range of the car it prevents the ecu to go to sleep completely? The only reason i suspect this is because when I asked my bmw tech buddy about my car and one of the first things he asked me was do i keep my keys in the car.

I am going to keep both my keys on the opposite end of my condo or place them inside a metal box to see if it does anything.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 AM

As part of my BMW CA inquiry, the dealer is inspecting my car to re check for the cause of the defective battery, power drain. The GM and I both agree that replacing the battery is not the answer, since it is akin to a bandaid not a fix. As I told him , I have no confidence in the vehicle, without knowing what has caused 2 batteries to fail, and we both want the assurance that the problem is fixed.
I'll keep everyone posted if they find an issue.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Very wise kssod to find the direct cause of the drainage. Classic BMW, where I took my car the 3 times it stranded me over the past 5 weeks released mine back to me after only 18 hours in their shop. They said it was a loose wire this time?!? The service director will not help me in a buyback request and the general manager will not even reply to an email, much less my phone calls. My wife cringes everytime she presses the start button now and is saying this car is making her life miserable. I cannot blame her. I have opened a formal complaint and buy back request with BMWNA. A rep has been assigned and has contacted me twice. He is saying that he must get the regional rep involved for a buy back. He did ask me Friday if there was anything else we would accept other than a buy back?!? WHat else is there?

Last edited by depingre; 12-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM

First battery was replaced at Ganley by original owner, 2 issues under my stewardship addressed at BMW Cleveland. Per, BMWNA CA advise, need to deal with dealer where vehicle was bought, for inspection and then move forward. I think there is a trade assist, as an alternative to a buyback. I am not sure of the process, but at least the Ganley GM is understanding of my concern and very responsive to my inquiries.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Do you always close the car completely, also in your garage?
Is this problem caused by certain items not shutting off when the car is not closed, ie locked, by pressing the fob or door handle in case of auto entry?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 PM

So far after storing both of my keys completely away from the car I have not seen the battery message this weekend. The real test will be during the week when I don't drive the car until the following weekend.

I think somehow when the keys are within range it prevents the car to go to sleep. These keys also have a abnormally long range and i could lock/unlock the car nearly a block away. We'll see if this is true next weekend.

Alan

Last edited by Alan L.; 12-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
So far after storing both of my keys completely away from the car I have not seen the battery message this weekend. The real test will be during the week when I don't drive the car until the following weekend.

I think somehow when the keys are within range it prevents the car to go to sleep. These keys also have a abnormally long range and i could lock/unlock the car nearly a block away. We'll see if this is true next weekend.

Alan
According to depingre;

Quote:
Originally Posted by depingre View Post
We have never kept the key close to the car. There is absolutely no explanations of why this is happening.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM

I do not lock the car in the garage, I do press the stop button 2x before exiting, ensuring that all is off, as steering wheel tilts up. In addition, the energy diagnostic tests done at dealer, will detect all issues that are operator related, including: fob left in car, car not shut off correctly, door ajar, ASS engaged and car not turned off completely etc. In each of the tests run (3x) no operator error reported. ( ie I know how to start and stop my BMW)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Since day 1 we have locked the car while in the garage as well as kept the key far from the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

Alan
Alan,

I don't think you can compare the transmit power when you are pressing the lock/unlock, to the transmission used when operating import access. Think about it, If you had the same dBm power all the time the battery would be drained in a day, just my $.02
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Mercedes had this issue with the SL and E class back in 2002 when it had a 24V system and 2 batteries. Ended up being fixed by software and trickle charging. Do you guys have comfort access? Also depingre, please define "far". Sounds like alan is several floors above his car and can still unlock it, how "far" are you from the car? Keep in mind comfort access range should be much much smaller than RF locking via pressing the remote. Does this happen in all weather conditions? (ie raining, cold, etc)

Last edited by Kar Don; 12-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 AM

I know the the remote isn't transmitting all the time or the battery would be dead within a day but I am suspecting that for those with comfort access having the key somewhat close to the car does something to the car possibly. All speculation at this point and I am going to test this theory out this week since my car usually gives me the battery discharge message every other day. So far after moving my keys to the opposite end of my condo on Friday i have not seen the message pop up yet (Monday).

Alan

Last edited by Alan L.; 12-10-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 AM

Had the equivalent of comfort access on my Rl, and have it also on my Corvette, no issues. Keys kept all in the same proximity to the vehicles in the garage
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
Had the equivalent of comfort access on my Rl, and have it also on my Corvette, no issues. Keys kept all in the same proximity to the vehicles in the garage
Sure, but these cars are not overfilled by German gimmicks.
I would start with just locking the car and see if that resolves the problem.
That would not hurt would it?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM

There goes that theory. The car gave me the warning again today despite keeping the keys far far away. It did go longer between warnings but still came back.

Alan

Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
very weird. I had a 2011 535 with no comfort access. It would sometimes be parked for a week or more unlocked and never ever got that battery warning.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM

So the car was at the dealer for a week foe inspection per BMWNA consumer relations advisor. Battery was replaced 3 weeks ago and I have not had any faults. Battery tested at full strength, no drain issues. they load tested several times and all was good. So maybe I am the lucky one that just had a bad battery.......
time will tell...........
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM

OK, I have had my car back exactly two weeks and it is starting to drag when I start it; as if the battery is struggling to start it. This is exactly what happened the last three times over the past 8 weeks. I just hope it doesn't leave my wife and kids stranded again. I am not getting any help from anyone regarding this issue. I have filed a formal request with BMWNA to buyback the car or to help in a trade assist. I have a rep assigned but he has been less than eager to help. He seems to be leaving the issue in the dealers hands.