Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: E61 535 XiT
Mechatronic sleeve issue - transfer case clearance

I'm in a bind, please help...
E61 X Drive

I've followed all the steps to replace my leaking mechatronic sleeve, and have separated the old sleeve from the transmission. However, there is a transfer case bracket blocking the removal (and re-installation) of the sleeve.

Is there a way to get around this issue without removing exhaust system, heat shields, transfer case bracket, bushing, etc??? Which would mean towing car to shop and a big expense (Coal in my stocking, I guess)

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Running Again!

Mein Auto: BMW 745
Same here

Im having this same problem on my 03 745li, theres just not enough room to get my hand up there to take that sleeve out. Looks like I might have to remove also those heatshields and plastics and then the transmission crossmember??
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tamez View Post
Im having this same problem on my 03 745li, theres just not enough room to get my hand up there to take that sleeve out. Looks like I might have to remove also those heatshields and plastics and then the transmission crossmember??
on my 2004 545i, it would have been necessary to remove the transmission mount at the back of the transmission in order to get the sleeve out of the vehicle after removal

(I didn't have any torx sockets though, and it wasn't leaking, so I left it alone on mine)
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM

I'm not sure how the clearances in the v8 driveline work, but at least you are smart enough to realize if you can't fit your hand up to the sleeve, then it probably won't come out past the transmission.

I foolishly used tools to disconnect the plug and separate the sleeve, only to then learn that it wouldn't come out.

I wish I just had a small transmission leak right now, instead of arranging a tow truck to the shop.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
I've recently done this with my friend for his 2006 530xi. It wasn't so bad but I do have a scissor lift which helped. We had to remove the transfer case support bracket in order to remove the sleeve (and the fill plug of the transfer case as we did both a tranny and a transfer case flush). We've removed the front exhaust hanger bracket, the hanger bracket by the transfer case and then we unbolted the exhaust at the front and we just pushed it back and down. That gave use enough clearance...we also had to remove the heat shield (PITA) but it gets easier when removing the support bracket. Using flex/wobble sockets was a must. We've supported the transfer case using a 2x4 which we cut to length so one end would touch the floor, the other would be supporting the transfer case.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the info, that's a good write up and should be included in the mechatronic sleeve DIYs. It sounds manageable but at this point (and outside temperature) I'm throwing in the towel.

I called the dealer and my Indy mechanic to compare prices, and the dealer service advisor claimed that a computer reset is necessary after replugging the transmission. This is the first I've heard of that, can you confirm?

It's pretty disappointing that I couldn't get this job done. The complexity and packaging in these cars are getting beyond my skill level, and scared of the next generation tire valve stems that require headliner removal before checking the tire pressure.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggasp View Post
Thanks for the info, that's a good write up and should be included in the mechatronic sleeve DIYs. It sounds manageable but at this point (and outside temperature) I'm throwing in the towel.

I called the dealer and my Indy mechanic to compare prices, and the dealer service advisor claimed that a computer reset is necessary after replugging the transmission. This is the first I've heard of that, can you confirm?

It's pretty disappointing that I couldn't get this job done. The complexity and packaging in these cars are getting beyond my skill level, and scared of the next generation tire valve stems that require headliner removal before checking the tire pressure.

I did clear the transmission adaptation settings using the INPA software as I did change the transmission fluid and I wanted the tranny to re adapt using fresh fluid. They will have to connect their diagnostic equipment in order to correctly refill the transmission. They will need to monitor the transmission fluid temperature and without connecting their diagnostic equipment, they won't do it right.. Nowhere in the TIS it says they have to reset the ECU just for unplugging and plugging the harness.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Cheap Infrared thermometer (around $20) can read trans fluid temp without having to connect to fancy BMW diagnostic equipment.

As OP said, pretty soon, BMW will require all passengers to be registered/programmed to the car so that the car can calibrate itself. During the registration process, electronic chip will be embedded in to all registered occupants' **** :-)

Last edited by pcy; 12-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggasp View Post

Total bull.

You need to reset adaptations if you did anything to the fluid, but just unplugging/replugging doesn't matter. I doubt the car ever even knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post

I did clear the transmission adaptation settings using the INPA software as I did change the transmission fluid and I wanted the tranny to re adapt using fresh fluid. They will have to connect their diagnostic equipment in order to correctly refill the transmission. They will need to monitor the transmission fluid temperature and without connecting their diagnostic equipment, they won't do it right.. Nowhere in the TIS it says they have to reset the ECU just for unplugging and plugging the harness.
It is certainly easier to use the computer for that information, but it's not all that hard to do without. Just a cheap infrared thermometer works. Personally I looked up the temperatures/converted to F and found they needed to be between hot tub water temperature and right above what you can touch without feeling like you can burn your hand. Basically you over fill at first then let it get to hotter than hot tub temperature, by that point oil should be slowly drizzling out. Put the plug back in and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
Cheap Infrared thermometer (around $20) can read trans fluid temp without having to connect to fancy BMW diagnostic equipment.

As OP said, pretty soon, BMW will require all passengers to be registered/programmed to the car so that the car can calibrate itself. During the registration process, electronic chip will be embedded in to all registered occupants' **** :-)
lol, soon. very soon.