Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM
We can agree 2 disagree

Mein Auto: e36.
=(

"I did not want to do the electrical wire chasing deal with this thing."

Yet here i am. So far ive checked all the exposed wires on the ABS, and around it. Checked fuses "ofcourse" And checking And rechecking Grounds. I dont have anything of interest or importance to share at this time , but will be back when i do. Yhanx guys.
Cool sig corey.
What up cmy & Phantom

Last edited by ManyIdeasNo $; 01-08-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Im retarded
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
FixItFaster

Mein Auto: EuroS50B30, e83m54b30
I like my sig too. Thanks Tom!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
hahaha, thats funny

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
We can agree 2 disagree

Mein Auto: e36.
Ive gotten the problem fixed..... As far as i know.
When I was going through the process for troubleshooting i took my battery to test it at the parts store. They said it was "good" And sent me on my way to troubleshoot some more.
I ended up chasing towards and replacing an also bad starter.
With that fixed I thought I had fixed the problem, But after only 3 days I was unable to start without a jump from another vehicle.
I took the battery in again to test and be sure, only to find out that parts place #2 says the battery is Bad "wont even hold a charge" He showed me the readout and it confirmed it was truth.
bought a battery from him and ran it for a week , then the Abs thing again. Turn it off and it wont start again without a jump. I was ready to sell this thing and call it quits but told myself Not to give up.
I let it sit for a while but I couldnt help but try to figure it out.
I doubted my starter installation , but Knew I took every precaution and proper step so i wouldnt have to come back and do it twice. "Do it right the first time" Right
Gut feeling told me to check the battery again, Since I knew i did the starter correct and i shouldnt need a jump with a new battery and starter. Plugs were checked and deemed Good Also.
I took it back to where i purchased it only to find out he gave me an old weak battery that must have been stored too long.
He gave me a new "NEW" battery and i went home and fired it right up.
No abs warning lights anymore. Im assuming that when battery power isnt fully present, It sets off other sensors and warnings?
Since then I have had a Check Engine light come on. I had it scanned , It was an O2 sensor. I looked it up on Bimmerdiy.com Then went and bought my bosch O2 and came home and installed it. I reset my check engine light using the gas pedal reset advice also described on bimmerdiy.com
Shes purring now.
Theres many things i need "and would like" to do.................................
But im just glad i didnt give up and sell it for way less than its worth like many people do in the same sittuation.
Keep the faith my friends!!!

Last edited by ManyIdeasNo $; 02-16-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: plugs was spelled "pugs"
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
starter help

I have a 94 325i that has so far until the other has had no problems,the starter is acting up i went to start the car and all seemed well but when i turned car off and went to start it all it did was click,the battery has a full charge and still all it does is click
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i82 View Post
I have a 94 325i that has so far until the other has had no problems,the starter is acting up i went to start the car and all seemed well but when i turned car off and went to start it all it did was click,the battery has a full charge and still all it does is click
Have both your battery and alternator tested. Most big box stores will do this for free.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 AM

battery and alterantor are good

Both my battery and alternator are brand new,it seems like the starter is stuck,the guy i got it from said the starter was brand new and showed me the receipt for it
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM

starter help

I had the alternator and battery tested the day i put the new alterantor in and both passed,the only strange thing was the starter sound like it was spinning while the car was running but wasnt engaging on the fly wheel thank god,im wondering if its my ignition
Old 12-08-2012, 03:21 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
If the starter was still spinning for a long time when the engine was running, the starter is probably ruined. It will run until it burns up the windings, because the solenoid remains closed even when the key is released. Starters are very strong and powerful electric motors, but they aren't designed to run more than a few seconds at a time before they have to cool down.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM

some times old tricks work

So i pulled the starter out looked it over and tapped it with a hammer a few times put it back in the.car and havent had a problem since