Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
I wouldn't say it's all about comfort, the DHP is pretty good below the 7/10ths limit and when using scenario #2 & 3 when set to the Sport + Sport modes. However, it struggles most when you add more variables for the algorithm to handle ala scenario #1.

And to Sean, the DHP is more than adequate for all driving situations below the 7/10ths limit and is very refined. This alone imho negates the need to upgrade if you want a DD that's sporty enough for 85% of all driving scenarios.

Btw, I liked how at least BJ was humble enough to admit he wasn't qualified to comment instead of feel like objective opinions were an attack on the DHP.
I think the issue that some of us have with your comments on DHP is that, AFAIK you've had ONE test drive of the F30 with this suspension on it and yet you are opining like you are some kind of expert who has logged thousands of miles in aggressive driving situations with this suspension.

Your opinions might be validated, however, as I've pointed out before, not a single journalist (some of whom are pro or amateur track drivers) have made ANY of the complaints about the system that you have, even the ones who drove the DHP equipped cars at Laguna Seca at the launch.

To each their own I guess.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I think the issue that some of us have with your comments on DHP is that, AFAIK you've had ONE test drive of the F30 with this suspension on it and yet you are opining like you are some kind of expert who has logged thousands of miles in aggressive driving situations with this suspension.

Your opinions might be validated, however, as I've pointed out before, not a single journalist (some of whom are pro or amateur track drivers) have made ANY of the complaints about the system that you have, even the ones who drove the DHP equipped cars at Laguna Seca at the launch.

To each their own I guess.
Ironically l have a friend that used to write for Edmunds and Automobile mag and none of the editors including him ever drove their review cars the way I described in scenario #1. All were either scenario# 2 & 3, so it wouldn't surprise me if none of them ever experience that type of car feedback.

If you don't trust my opinion go do what I described in scenario # 1 on your car then report back here with your findings in detail. I'm really curious what you think. Just make sure you know your driving limits, your car to the inch of it's car's handling dynamics and the road you are using.

When you've driven a road like the twisties you always describe lots of times, you should know all the idiosyncrasies, such as road camber, gravel areas, uneven road surfaces, switchbacks, apexes, brake points, lines to take (regular, passing, safe, limit [within and outside the lines]), plus the most important part - run off. Your twisty/togue course is the best to apply scenario# 1. You should be able to plot a corner by corner experience in which you can systematically+repeatedly keep the same throttle, brake pressure applied, entry & exit lines (hopefully within inches from the road edge at limit driving). At least if you and the road are a constant the car should be the differentiator to tell you what does and doesn't work/improve.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Apparently you drive much more aggressively on the street than I do, since I've pushed the car reasonably hard and have not experienced anything like you have described with the suspension lagging.

You might be an incredible driver, or you might just be an accident waiting to happen. In any event, from a moral perspective I am against driving the car anywhere near as hard on public roadways as I would drive it on a track, where I tend to drive, or ride, as fast as I possibly can without crashing.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
In a car without Adaptive M Suspension, hitting the switch from Comfort to Sport changes the transmission timing and throttle response, and adjusts the steering weight.

In a car with Adaptive M Suspension, hitting the switch from Comfort to Sport does all of those things as well as physically changing the suspension with electronically controlled dampers which makes the ride firmer or softer as well.

Many debate the reason for the feature, I look at it this way: It's the "wife" button. If you get a Sport line and have a wife that finds it uncomfortable you can hit a button and soften the ride as if you'd bought a Luxury/Modern/No-line car. Similarly, if you get a Luxury line for the sake of your wife but want to morph it into a tighter ride when she's not around you can hit a button and firm up the ride as if you'd bought a Sport line car.

For $900 you don't have to decide between a Sport line and a Luxury/Modern/No-line suspension; you can have both at the same time in the same car.

BJ
Hey bolt, are you happy with the mineral gray and saddle combination? That's what I'm planning on getting...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
You might be an incredible driver, or you might just be an accident waiting to happen. In any event, from a moral perspective I am against driving the car anywhere near as hard on public roadways as I would drive it on a track, where I tend to drive, or ride, as fast as I possibly can without crashing.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
Hey bolt, are you happy with the mineral gray and saddle combination? That's what I'm planning on getting...
Yes, extremely.

Mineral Grey is arguably the nicest exterior and Saddle is arguably the nicest interior, so you can't go wrong. People who see my car just can't stop the compliments, very pleased.

As relates to this thread, Saddle means you're getting a Luxury line which has the standard suspension. I'm happy with it, but consider the Adaptive M Suspension that we're discussing here because for $900 you'll be able to hit a button and firm it up as if it was the Sport line suspension. I'm in NYC with potholes and uneven roads, so the softer suspension is what I need, but living in SoCal you may want a stiffer suspension for some of those smooth roads you're accustomed to.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 12-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Yes, extremely.

Mineral Grey is arguably the nicest exterior and Saddle is arguably the nicest interior, so you can't go wrong. People who see my car just can't stop the compliments, very pleased.

As relates to this thread, Saddle means you're getting a Luxury line which has the standard suspension. I'm happy with it, but consider the Adaptive M Suspension that we're discussing here because for $900 you'll be able to hit a button and firm it up as if it was the Sport line suspension. I'm in NYC with potholes and uneven roads, so the softer suspension is what I need, but living in SoCal you may want a stiffer suspension for some of those smooth roads you're accustomed to.

BJ
Those wheels must be a bitch to clean though. I'm glad to have just five spokes.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Those wheels must be a bitch to clean though. I'm glad to have just five spokes.
God's honest truth is they are surprisingly not getting dirty.

BMW did something to the brake pads because that powder that my E93 and E90 spewed all over the stainless steel is a thing of the past, and a hit of the power washer at the car wash gets them nice and sparkly.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Ironically l have a friend that used to write for Edmunds and Automobile mag and none of the editors including him ever drove their review cars the way I described in scenario #1. All were either scenario# 2 & 3, so it wouldn't surprise me if none of them ever experience that type of car feedback.

If you don't trust my opinion go do what I described in scenario # 1 on your car then report back here with your findings in detail. I'm really curious what you think. Just make sure you know your driving limits, your car to the inch of it's car's handling dynamics and the road you are using.

When you've driven a road like the twisties you always describe lots of times, you should know all the idiosyncrasies, such as road camber, gravel areas, uneven road surfaces, switchbacks, apexes, brake points, lines to take (regular, passing, safe, limit [within and outside the lines]), plus the most important part - run off. Your twisty/togue course is the best to apply scenario# 1. You should be able to plot a corner by corner experience in which you can systematically+repeatedly keep the same throttle, brake pressure applied, entry & exit lines (hopefully within inches from the road edge at limit driving). At least if you and the road are a constant the car should be the differentiator to tell you what does and doesn't work/improve.

My grandmother wrote for Motortrend so she must be and expert too lol.

I understand you have a opinion on the DHP but it is just that. I own the car with the feature so I can truly tell you it's wonderful. That 7/10's rule is silly as a skilled driver can always drive beyond the limits of the car. The suspension is only a small but important part of the whole scheme. The chassis, powertrain, tires, weather, road, driver, and speed all play roles.

I don't own a Lamborghini but even though I know people who do and drove a few doesn't make me an expert.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
What bmwconfig does not show you is that all x-drive cars get 704 deleted when they are built.

Get over it. It's still a good car, just not as good as if it had the adaptive setup.

From what one of the site administrators here with contacts at BMW have explained, the 10mm lowered sport suspension does not clear all of the x-drive components. That is the reason that the x-drive cars are not equipped with the more aggressive sport suspension even if you order the sport package.

The m-adaptive suspension similarly is not lowered 10mm, but it does include the dynamically adjustable, real time active magnetic dampeners (shocks) which make a huge difference in how the car handles, especially when it is in the sport setting.
So a 335i with M Sport Package and adaptive M suspension is not dropped 10mm?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Folks we got a goddamn expert on our hands....lol...thanks, Andretti
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
So a 335i with M Sport Package and adaptive M suspension is not dropped 10mm?
The only cars that are not dropped 10mm that have m-adaptive suspension are x-drive cars.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The only cars that are not dropped 10mm that have m-adaptive suspension are x-drive cars.
Good to know, thanks. I am pretty sure that's all the info I was looking for as it relates to adaptive suspension. I just wanted to make sure I had the right suspension height before I started driving 7/10ths.

Now I'm gonna go scan a few physics textbooks and post the pages in this thread so I fit in.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Good to know, thanks. I am pretty sure that's all the info I was looking for as it relates to adaptive suspension. I just wanted to make sure I had the right suspension height before I started driving 7/10ths.

Now I'm gonna go scan a few physics textbooks and post the pages in this thread so I fit in.
Yeah, maybe you should go do a test drive on the road where you weave in and out of traffic at high speed while using track techniques to make sure that the lagging crappy suspension doesn't crimp your driving style.