Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
X1 Navigation System

Does anyone else think that it is strange that the NAV system on the X1 does not have TTS (Text to Speech). Even my 4 year old, $150 Garmin has this feature. I would have expected nothing less from a $2200 option from a German engineered car.

Maybe a future software upgrade will fix this?
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I found it odd in the E90 but never really missed it (text to speech can really butcher street names). I wouldn't hold my breath on an update adding this.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I found it odd in the E90 but never really missed it (text to speech can really butcher street names). I wouldn't hold my breath on an update adding this.
I read somewhere that the NAV actually does say the name but only for major thoroughfares. But I have not heard it say a name yet.

I think that the system has the capability to say names. When you use the Voice Commands to indicate a destination, it replies with the name of the street to confirm.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM

The other thing that bugs me is the poor support for iPhones. Bluetooth voice works. Streaming works (sometimes) but I can't pass commands by Bluetooth through to Siri. The office feature is well integrated with BlackBerry but not with Apple devices.

Most BT systems allow you to either upload contacts or leave them on the device and let the device dial. Not the BMW system as far as I can tell.

Next time I buy a car with NAV and BT, I'm going to sit there for an hour, pair my phone and get familiar with all of the options.

Buyer beware, I guess.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM

I have had no trouble with iPhone and BMW iDrive. I USB tether the phone though, bluetooth streaming does not deliver the best audio quality.

Siri works through bluetooth, however you have to initiate it on the phone so it is not safe while driving.

I prefer the iDrive NAV to other integrated systems I have tested. I love being able to send addresses directly from Google maps to the car (from the web or the BMW iPhone App). I'm not a fan of BMW apps however.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I have had no trouble with iPhone and BMW iDrive. I USB tether the phone though, bluetooth streaming does not deliver the best audio quality.

Siri works through bluetooth, however you have to initiate it on the phone so it is not safe while driving.

I prefer the iDrive NAV to other integrated systems I have tested. I love being able to send addresses directly from Google maps to the car (from the web or the BMW iPhone App). I'm not a fan of BMW apps however.
I have had trouble with USB tethering as well. It locks up and all of the playlists on the iPhone are grayed out.

What version of iOS are you running?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Do you require the USB Y-Cable? The only problem we had was on the 128i and a faulty Y-Cable.

My wife and I have the iPhone 4S and 5 respectively and use to both have 4s. We have has IOS 4, 5, and 6.

Maybe disable Bluetooth streaming, delete and re-add the phone to Bluetooth, and just USB tether for music.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Do you require the USB Y-Cable?
I don't think that this version of the iDrive needs the Y cable. Should work with the stock Apple cable.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlova View Post
I don't think that this version of the iDrive needs the Y cable. Should work with the stock Apple cable.
When I was test driving the car I used my iPhone cable and it worked fine. But since I bought the car I have been using the y-cable they gave me or Bluetooth. Bluetooth works fine. I don't hear any discernible degradation in music quality.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
When I was test driving the car I used my iPhone cable and it worked fine. But since I bought the car I have been using the y-cable they gave me or Bluetooth. Bluetooth works fine. I don't hear any discernible degradation in music quality.
I was never given a Y cable with my vehicle. I was told a standard apple cable is all that I needed. Whenever I plug in the cable, the Iphone puts up a message that a cradle device is connected, but I can't play the music. Perhaps my music library is so big that it's having trouble downloading the list?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM

If you have the technology package you don't need the Y-cable. Otherwise, you might.

Quote:
The Y-cable is needed unless the vehicle is equipped with 639 or 6NL "BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth and USB"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=660946

Last edited by nospam; 12-07-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: swapped link to Bimmerfest iPhone 5 integration thread
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28
I have a 2013 X1 with the Technology package. Got it two weeks ago. Mine has TTS. It butchers the street names like all the others, but it is there. Also, my address book from my iphone 4s migrated just fine.
Jim
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1 View Post
I have a 2013 X1 with the Technology package. Got it two weeks ago. Mine has TTS. It butchers the street names like all the others, but it is there. Also, my address book from my iphone 4s migrated just fine.
Jim
Really? I was told by the dealer that TTS was not implemented on the X1 Nav.

Can you find out what version of Nav software is running on your X1?

And where are you located? I'm in Canada. Maybe Canadian maps don't work with TTS.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM

I'm in SF bay area. I'll check the version and get back to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 PM

I asked my father and he says his F30 Nav has TTS. Should be the same as on the X1.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I asked my father and he says his F30 Nav has TTS. Should be the same as on the X1.
I asked again at the dealership up here and they are clueless. Not very knowledgeable on the electronics part of the car. Could not get me a straight answer on TTS and why it does not work on my NAV. Hope they do better with the mechanics when it's time.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Really? I was told by the dealer that TTS was not implemented on the X1 Nav.

Can you find out what version of Nav software is running on your X1?

And where are you located? I'm in Canada. Maybe Canadian maps don't work with TTS.
I have the tech package as well and took it on a trip up to Philadelpia, from northern virginia, this last week, drove through downtown, using NAV. The ONLY TTS I heard were freeway names, i.e. "take ramp to I76 south" No other street names used.

Vince.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM

You are right. I was mistaken. I drove around with the Nav and that's all I got. Freeway names.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph1 View Post
You are right. I was mistaken. I drove around with the Nav and that's all I got. Freeway names.
At least that means that the system is capable of talking. We just need to convince it to talk all the time.

Surely somebody at BMW must know why this is happening. Or if it's by design.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
At least that means that the system is capable of talking. We just need to convince it to talk all the time.

Surely somebody at BMW must know why this is happening. Or if it's by design.
I've had my X1 for two weeks now and just got one of those emails from BMW, requesting that I fill out a survey, you know, one of those "rate the sales guy". There was a block, that if checked, BMWUSA, would acknowledge. Well they sent me an email invite, asking me to provide comments directly back to them. I sent them a comment about the TTS...

It'll be interesting to see how they respond...

Vince.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
I've had my X1 for two weeks now and just got one of those emails from BMW, requesting that I fill out a survey, you know, one of those "rate the sales guy". There was a block, that if checked, BMWUSA, would acknowledge. Well they sent me an email invite, asking me to provide comments directly back to them. I sent them a comment about the TTS...

It'll be interesting to see how they respond...

Vince.

I received and filled out the same survey. but I did not tick the follow up desired box. Now I wish I had. I did write a fairly long comment about the poor Nav and Smartphone integration of the iDrive system. For all the chest pounding that BMW does regarding their relationship with Apple, it is not evident in their technology.
As far as TTS is concerned, why would they limit TTS to highways only? In our city, a minor highway runs down Main Street. The Nav announces "Highway 8" but nothing else. How often do you need to know about highways? There are big signs on the ramps for that. It's the small streets that sneak up on you.