Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

View Poll Results: So far, does your X1 meet your expectations?
Below Expectations 6 7.41%
Meets Expetations 19 23.46%
Exceed Expectations 29 35.80%
I'm still waiting for my X1! 27 33.33%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: X1
So far, does your X1 meet your expecations?

1. Below Expectations
2. Meets Expectations
3. Exceed Expectations
4. I'm still waiting for my X1!
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Mr. Registered User

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
What I think can be improved on my X1.

I have my x1 for 2,000 miles and I want to share the NEGATIVES specifically about the X1, and the features in X1 that are also found in other cars. Again, there are a lot other positives, but I am just ranting about the negatives now.

First, a little background about me. I love technology and always try to use and learn the options I buy to their fullest extend. That's why I bought the E60 545i with SMG, HUD... with all the options back in 2004. So I do not fear innovation nor detest changes.

Here are the features that I do not find appealing:

1. No oil dipstick: I am not trying to shoot a dead horse, but I always check my fluids and like to change my own oil. Instead of just puling a dip stick up now I have to go through a lengthy steps: Also it will take 3-5 minutes for the read out to be displayed!

Checking the engine oil level
Your car is equipped with an electronic engine oil level check.
Requirements
***9655; The engine must be running and warm afterthe vehicle has been driven for at least 6.2 miles/10 km.
***9655; The vehicle is stopped or being driven on a level roadway.
Display in the instrument cluster
1. Lightly press button 1 in the turn indicator lever up or down repeatedly until the appropriate symbol appears in the display, accompanied
by the word "OIL".
2. Press button 2 in the turn indicator lever.
The oil level is checked and the reading displayed.
3. Oil level is being checked. This can take about 3 minutes if the car is at a standstill on alevel surface, or about 5 minutes while the car is on the
move.

2. Start/Stop button: Pressing to start is not complicated or unpleasant, but in order to shut down the engine, I have to first press stop, apply the hand brake, press the "P", then take the foot off the brake, then press the stop again. I have restarted the engine several time inadvertendly because my foot was still on the brake.

3. Shift lever: I have the 8-speed sDrive, so I get the new shifter. To be honest, I prefer the 35i's older style shifter because it's a lot more ergonomic than the new shifter. My fingers are not 6 inches long so I can't operate the shifter lock while holding the lever in a normal way. I have to press it with the side of my thum while hooking the lever with my index finger a la "capitain hook".

4. Unsupportive seats: This applies to Xline seats only, I am pretty sure BMW sports seats are marvelous. The seats in Xline is very ussuportive in the thight area.

5. Angle of the Nav Screen: The navigation screen is tilted too much upward and the shelf is blocking the bottom of the screen. I am 5'9" and in order to view the nav screen fully, I have to elevate my seat up. I think the screen should be moved out a bit for better view.

Other than these observations, I am really enjoying our X1.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 12-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
"2. Start/Stop button: Pressing to start is not complicated or unpleasant, but in order to shut down the engine, I have to first press stop, apply the hand brake, press the "P", then take the foot off the brake, then press the stop again. I have restarted the engine several time inadvertendly because my foot was still on the brake. "

Why on earth you doing all those steps? With foot on brake, press "P" to put the X1 in park and push the Start/Stop button. That's all you do.

Vince.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Mr. Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
"2. Start/Stop button: Pressing to start is not complicated or unpleasant, but in order to shut down the engine, I have to first press stop, apply the hand brake, press the "P", then take the foot off the brake, then press the stop again. I have restarted the engine several time inadvertendly because my foot was still on the brake. "

Why on earth you doing all those steps? With foot on brake, press "P" to put the X1 in park and push the Start/Stop button. That's all you do.

Vince.
The engine will turn off with the first press, but the radio, and other accessories are still on. You have to press the start/stop again to shut it completely off (with foot off the brake). I have comfort access so I never use the key in the slot.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
My X1 is not here yet but on my test drive it seems to operate just like my parent's F30 and how vbbuilt described. Put it in park (P) with foot on the brake. Hit start/stop with foot off the brake just once and exit the car.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerf4i View Post
The engine will turn off with the first press, but the radio, and other accessories are still on. You have to press the start/stop again to shut it completely off (with foot off the brake). I have comfort access so I never use the key in the slot.
I too have that feature, so you still don't need to press the start stop a second time. Simply exit the vehicle, then lightly touch the door handle. Car locks, lights turn off and the entertainment system shuts off.

V.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Mr. Registered User

Quote:
I too have that feature, so you still don't need to press the start stop a second time. Simply exit the vehicle, then lightly touch the door handle. Car locks, lights turn off and the entertainment system shuts off.

V.
I see, I wasn't too comfortable leaving the accessories on while exiting the car. I had walked away from the car while the door was still open, to see if the electronics would shut off, but they didn't.

What if I forget to lock the doors? Would the accessories stay on for a brief period?

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 12-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
I see, I wasn't too comfortable leaving the accessories on while exiting the car. I had walked away from the car while the door was still open, to see if the electronics would shut off, but they didn't.

What if I forget to lock the doors? Would the accessories stay on for a brief period?
Am I the only one who sits down and reads the manual that comes with their new car? Accessory mode should only stay on for 15-20 minutes before automatically shutting off.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM

I read manuals...but few people do.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Mr. Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
Am I the only one who sits down and reads the manual that comes with their new car? Accessory mode should only stay on for 15-20 minutes before automatically shutting off.
I have read the manual but I guess I've missed the accessory timer info. Even having known this, I would still prefer to shut it off when exiting the car.

I appreciate your info (the sencond part), that's why we are all here for, to get information. However, there is no need for any self-laureled proclamations. You sound like that kid who reads dictionary for fun and is always trying to find an opportunity to show it off. People in this board are not 2nd graders.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 12-13-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
You don't need to press start/stop twice. If you press and hold stop button, the car shuts off, then the auxiliary shuts off.

2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Vince.
Yeah,,, what are you doing ????? I have an X1,and your method of turning your vehicle off is complicating Just follow Vince's quote...
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Quote:

V.
nice and simple, without ever touching the keys
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Mr. Registered User

start/stop woes

I understand some of you have already gotten used to this Start/stop way of starting or shutting off the car. I picked up the car in Germany and wat taught these proceedured of starting/shutting off the car by the delivery advisor in the Welt. Like a first timer, it have engraved into my contiousness. However, I still think turning the keys are a lot more intuitive.

I have been using auto/start/stop feature when driving. The car would shut itself when I am done parking the car, but when I press the SS button to shut off the car (muscle memory), I always end up starting the car again. I try to remember not to press the button, but it's just a hassle.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
I understand some of you have already gotten used to this Start/stop way of starting or shutting off the car. I picked up the car in Germany and wat taught these proceedured of starting/shutting off the car by the delivery advisor in the Welt. Like a first timer, it have engraved into my contiousness. However, I still think turning the keys are a lot more intuitive.

I have been using auto/start/stop feature when driving. The car would shut itself when I am done parking the car, but when I press the SS button to shut off the car (muscle memory), I always end up starting the car again. I try to remember not to press the button, but it's just a hassle.
After 6,000 miles I've mostly adjusted to the keyless entry/start, but I would still rather have a conventional key. At times the keyless thing is handy, but most of the time I would be happier with a simple key and fob -- especially now that the door hasn't been unlocking properly at times. If you have to remove the fob from your pocket to unlock the door anyway, what's the point?

You can always have the auto stop/start disabled if you find it as bothersome as I did. Unfortunately in my case, the reprogramming caused some other electronic issues and resulted in an extended stay in the shop. The car is so much more pleasant to drive now, so in the end it was worth the hassle. But it's a good thing I don't intend to use the feature, because it seems to have been permanently disabled by the reprogramming. The ASS doesn't even engage in EcoPro mode. But I'm not about to risk another software fiasco by trying to have it corrected.

2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 12-19-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM

Gosh, if you think working in a keyless environment is confusing, wait until you figure out how to magically open all the windows and panoramic moonroof without being inside of the car!

Vince.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 Sportline 28i
ASS - I had to re-read the manual - when you want to stop the car the secret is to take your foot off the brake pedal after putting it in Park, then hit the ASS button. Paranoid side of me has the parking brake set after putting the transmission in Park and prior to taking foot off brake, then hit the ASS button.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Mr. Registered User

The taking-your-foot-off-the-brake-pedal-before-pressing-the-SS-button is what I have to re-learn. All my previous 27 years of driving, releasing the brake pedal has always been the last thing to do when exiting the car. I guess old habits is hard to change.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Hold the start/stop button down. I complained about the same thing when I got my 128i because I didn't want to lock the car each time I got out in my garage. Thanks to the guys here I can just hop out of the car after parking it and holding the button down just a millisecond longer than I was.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
ASS button? Hah! But seriously, that's a neat trick.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I had the first opportunity yesterday to spend some time behind the wheel. It was a 200 mile trip from Long Island to the swamps of Jersey and back. I wanted to provide some initial feedback
. Putting things in perspective, I have driven a 330cic, two 5 series- one Xdrive, the other sports package with a manual 6 speed, an X5, and a E46 Wagon which I drive now. The X1 is being driven by my better half, but I'll grab it when I can.
I've broken down my comments into sections below:

FIT and FINISH
The car looks great inside and out, It looks and feels like a BMW should- no complaints here. The slight tinting of the windows seemed to finish off the car nicely. I'm glad I did it.

POWERTRAIN
The 4 cylinder engine coupled with the 8 speed tranny really fits this car nicely. I found it to be quick, with very little (if any) turbo lag and the car accelerates nicely. Much more fun to drive then my recent 5 series. Impressive.

STEERING
As soon as I got in to this car and grabbed the wheel I knew I was going to like it. The steering has a nice weight to it, with tons of feedback. This is the kind of thing that gets you hooked on these cars. It just feels right when you are driving it. I recently had an X3 loaner, and I could steer it with one finger- not this car. I would say most people on this forum prefer this setup than the electronic assisted steering found on some other models. The engine and the steering together make this a fun car to drive

ROAD and WIND NOISE
I found this car to be quiet on new asphalt, but when the highways got a little rough, I did hear road / tire noise more so than other cars I've been in recently. I did expect this coming out of a 5 series and for the type of driving we do its no big deal. I could still hold a conversation on the Bluetooth so that was ok. Maybe its due in part to the runflats? Not sure. I would give this an average rating.

SEAT COMFORT
I did notice a down grade here, and if I were to order the car for myself I would get the Sport Line for the Sport seats. I think the first poster in this thread also mentions the seats. While they are not terrible, there is little support in the thigh area. I'll need to do some adjusting to get more comfortable. I give the seats a below average rating. IMO every BMW seat should be outstanding.

STEREO
We ordered the upgraded sound system. I'm glad I ordered it. It sounded pretty good, and better than the standard system. No complaints here other than I don't think I can hide my iPod in the glove compartment like I could in the 5.

Would I order the X1 again? In a heartbeat. But this time I would get the heated steering wheel too.
Enjoy
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member

Last edited by mismaloya; 12-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Ok so yes, I agree with you totally, I have the heated steering and love it. Funny, something as simple as that, I'm really appreciating. I live in Idaho------burrrrrrrr it's cold. I use to live in NJ, and I still would've wanted it.
Have fun with your new X1, I'm really enjoying mine!!! I have the mineral white, it's more forgiving in my environment, but the black is gorgeous. ENJOY
A
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
there is a usb port in the glove compartment (which is the port you can use to import music on a memory stick) if you wish to not have the ipod in plain view
not to channel my iinner jerry seinfeld, but who puts gloves in the glove compartment?
also agree that the steering wheel feels great and the heated steering wheel is well worth it
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbolduc View Post
there is a usb port in the glove compartment (which is the port you can use to import music on a memory stick) if you wish to not have the ipod in plain view
not to channel my iinner jerry seinfeld, but who puts gloves in the glove compartment?
also agree that the steering wheel feels great and the heated steering wheel is well worth it
I don't think you can actually interface your ipod with your audio system using that usb port. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that usb port is designed for software updates only.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM

The glovebox USB cannot be used for iPod interface. It can be used to transfer music from a USB stick to the hard drive.