Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 530I
Question Dynamic Drive Malfunction Light

My 2004 530i has developed a strange behavior. After a four month storage interval, on startup I got the Dynamic Drive Malfunction light, then it went out after a few miles of driving. The next day, got it again, and then the next day got the Dynamic Drive Inactive light. Again, it comes and goes. I have checked the power steering fluid, since I understand it uses the same fluid from the same reservoir for the dynamic drive. Now several weeks later, one or another of those two lights will come up, stay awhile, and then go out. The maddening thing is, I used my Bav-Auto code reader, both while the light is active and when it is out, and there are no stored codes! Zero!
This car is the I6, and has 130,000 miles. Still runs like a charm, and looks brand new. Sure would like to get this thing repaired, or at least figure out if it's the computer messing up or the active drive system. I do not detect any appreciable handling changes when the light(s) are on. Any help out there?
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Re: After a four month storage interval,

Did you have a battery tender connected for the whole four months? If not, you may want to charge the battery fully...

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Dynamic Drive Malfunction Light

Yep - battery tender on and going all the time. Battery was fine when I returned. BTW - what is the HPFP, and is it something I should be expecting trouble with? I am at 126,000 trouble free.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
You do not have an HPFP. I am not sure what anyone can tell you regarding your light without a code; there are many things that can cause that. You don't want to to throw good money on it when you don't know what is really causing your issue. You may also want to cycle DSC on/off when this light comes on...

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Dynamic Drive Malfunction / Inoperative

Will try the DSC next time it happenss. I was tempted to go after the computer, but the fact it is two different messages is bothersome, though it is always seemingly an issue with the Dynamic Drive - just sometimes the malfunction light and sometimes the Inop light.

You really think the dealer would be 'easter-egging' a fix as well - without any codes? Surely they have seen something similar. Anyone else out there with input?

SOMETIMES fate just works out for you! Yesterday, I ran out of washer fluid, got the light, and refilled. Coincidentally, the washers quit working at that exact same time! I was all set for a trip down diagnisis lane, but when I raised the hood, the passenger side supply hose was disconnected! A simple shortening of the hose by half an inch and reconnect and all washer woes are gone! WHY, oh WHY, can't something like that happen with the Active Drive System? I am bothered by the fact it started immediately after the storage period, and am sure I was not experiencing the failure up to the day I put the car in storage.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Had a road trip today - new discoveries! The dynamic drive/malfunction lights are not affected at all by cycling the DSC, as suggested. They remain sporadic for in town short trips, but are absolutely absent on a sustained road trip.
Makes me visualize a marginally effective 'pump', if there is one separate from the power steering pump. Thoughts? I grant I do not know the mechanics of the DTC / DSC system, but it appears to me that hiway speeds generate sufficient fluid pressure to make the systems work, but short trips do not. The light clears consistently with only 3 or 4 miles at speed.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRMcNeil View Post
Had a road trip today - new discoveries! The dynamic drive/malfunction lights are not affected at all by cycling the DSC, as suggested. They remain sporadic for in town short trips, but are absolutely absent on a sustained road trip.
Makes me visualize a marginally effective 'pump', if there is one separate from the power steering pump. Thoughts? I grant I do not know the mechanics of the DTC / DSC system, but it appears to me that hiway speeds generate sufficient fluid pressure to make the systems work, but short trips do not. The light clears consistently with only 3 or 4 miles at speed.
Which warning are you getting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_fail.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	303200   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARS_fail.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	303201  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Well, I sometimes get the dynamic drive malfunction light, and sometimes I get the dynamic drive inactive light. The above entry by me now needs modified. The road trip now concluded, the malfunction light came on this afternoon during the return trip, and has stayed on. No codes. This is driving me nutz!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
DSC light

My '04 545 w/ active steering has been doing the same thing off and on for over a year. I am not actively trying to fix it . . . just living with it. However, one of the scans showed low voltage in a servo motor that's part of the active steering. An indy mechanic explained that active steering and DSC systems talk to each other, so the DSC error could actually be triggered by an active steering problem. Like the other posters, my messages are either DSC error or DSC inactive.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Well, I sometimes get the dynamic drive malfunction light, and sometimes I get the dynamic drive inactive light. The above entry by me now needs modified. The road trip now concluded, the malfunction light came on this afternoon during the return trip, and has stayed on. No codes. This is driving me nutz!
You live in humid area, how many times you flush the brake systems after original free-service is gone? I'd flush the brake system, if the caliper becomes "sticky" you may have the DSC warning, the brake fluid is hygroscopic and you know what water does to metal part of caliper.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Change brake and steering fluid,low batt.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Hey guys - SURELY someone out there can help us with this? My dealer DID finally find (he SAID he did, anyway) a code that indicated the control module needs to be replaced. At $1100 parts and $900 labor, the whole thing is a little pricey, and I do not think he has the fix! Simply because the issue is transitory, I am pretty sure he is 'easter-egging' at my expense. Thoughts?
I am planning to do a flush and refill of the power steering fluid in hopes I can flush out some debris or other contamination from the control unit - since it shares the power steering fluid reservior with dynamic drive. Although I DO also very infrequently have an active steering warning come up - the fix is always the old 'turn the wheel lock to lock' trick - and then no issues for months!
This is driving me nutz!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645
Quote:
Hey guys - SURELY someone out there can help us with this? My dealer DID finally find (he SAID he did, anyway) a code that indicated the control module needs to be replaced. At $1100 parts and $900 labor, the whole thing is a little pricey, and I do not think he has the fix! Simply because the issue is transitory, I am pretty sure he is 'easter-egging' at my expense. Thoughts?
I am planning to do a flush and refill of the power steering fluid in hopes I can flush out some debris or other contamination from the control unit - since it shares the power steering fluid reservior with dynamic drive. Although I DO also very infrequently have an active steering warning come up - the fix is always the old 'turn the wheel lock to lock' trick - and then no issues for months!
This is driving me nutz!
Can anyone follow up on this DDM error? My '04 645 does the same after a brand new battery AND Alternator..

WALD body kit
WALD exhaust
AC Shnitzer spoiler
19" M6 rims